+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The position we most need to fill

The position we most need to fill

CEO.

I know many on here have called for us to have a Director of Football, and I wouldn't disagree that we need one, but for me a CEO who knows what he or she is doing would make a huge difference to the club. The CEO could then appoint a Director of Football as well.

At the moment the club is run by two part-timers - Choo and Dalman - neither of whom had any previous experience of running a football club, which I can never get my head around. I'm sure Tan wouldn't appoint someone to run any of his other businesses like that - why his football club?

It would mean we could have a proper, long term strategy in place for starters - there's no evidence that we've got one now or have had one for as long as I can remember (if ever). We could build an identity/style of play with recruitment and development of players and recruitment of managers to fit. Match day experience could be improved. Communication with fans could be improved. I'm sure the club could generate more financial income that it does at present too.

There must be good, experienced candidates out there. We could probably poach a CEO with a good track record from a club lower down the pyramid than us.

One more thing though - Tan would need to appoint someone then butt out and let them run the club, subject to results on and off the pitch.

Re: The position we most need to fill

"One more thing though - Tan would need to appoint someone then butt out and let them run the club, subject to results on and off the pitch."

Perhaps one of those pigs that just flew past my window would take the job.

Tan has a problem which makes it very hard for him to own a successful football club - he doesn’t trust “football men”. He might think he is justified in doing so after his experiences with Malky Mackay, but he has, effectively, penalised his club and himself in the decade since then because his reluctance to install someone who is comfortable in and with the worlds of football and football related finance has put City at a disadvantage compared to most other Championship clubs Even if Tan has lost interest in City, you’d have thought he’d have realised that keeping things as they are is costing the club as they are going nowhere except League One eventually under the current model and it’s also costing him a significant portion of his money.

Owner. I'd take CZJ and MD tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Tan has a problem which makes it very hard for him to own a successful football club - he doesn’t trust “football men”. He might think he is justified in doing so after his experiences with Malky Mackay, but he has, effectively, penalised his club and himself in the decade since then because his reluctance to install someone who is comfortable in and with the worlds of football and football related finance has put City at a disadvantage compared to most other Championship clubs Even if Tan has lost interest in City, you’d have thought he’d have realised that keeping things as they are is costing the club as they are going nowhere except League One eventually under the current model and it’s also costing him a significant portion of his money.
    Look at Twitter, Elon Musk thinks he can run it because he sells electric cars. Tan is the same, he thinks he can run a football club as he's a successful businessman.

Quote Originally Posted by John Buchanan View Post
    "One more thing though - Tan would need to appoint someone then butt out and let them run the club, subject to results on and off the pitch."

Perhaps one of those pigs that just flew past my window would take the job.
    Yeah, that is the problem. It's his own money he's wasting though.

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    Yeah, that is the problem. It's his own money he's wasting though.
    Until someone can make him see this, we'll keep going as we are :banghead:

Tan appointing a CEO/DoF etc would be nice but having a coach that actual coaches players and improves them is more important.

If we get a CEO/DoF, the chances are that they're be similarly inept.

What's the job scope of a CEO? Don't they oversee the day-to-day operations of the club so more admin than anything? Honest question because I don't know.

Give me someone. ANYONE. Anyone at the top who knows what they're doing and can have a positive influence.

I've always felt like we're a sleeping giant of a club. Relatively large city with only one local team. Plenty of hardcore and loyal fans. Huge catchment area. 33,000 stadium is there and ready to be filled.

I still believe - or maybe the right word is dream - that someone in my lifetime will think the same and take us to the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Tan appointing a CEO/DoF etc would be nice but having a coach that actual coaches players and improves them is more important.

If we get a CEO/DoF, the chances are that they're be similarly inept.
    Isn't Ken Choo the CEO?

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Isn't Ken Choo the CEO?
    When he's not selling cars in London

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Look at Twitter, Elon Musk thinks he can run it because he sells electric cars. Tan is the same, he thinks he can run a football club as he's a successful businessman.
    How many owners are football men these days?

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Dale's Mole View Post
    What's the job scope of a CEO? Don't they oversee the day-to-day operations of the club so more admin than anything? Honest question because I don't know.
    Can be that, depending on the set up, but more commonly they're the person at the top making the key decisions, setting strategy, making senior appointments, responsible for performance on and off the pitch.
    This kind of thing:
    https://www.skysports.com/football/n...ivals-man-city

Obviously we wouldn't get someone of that kind of calibre, but it's interesting that pretty much the first thing Jim Ratcliffe did when he invested in the club was to appoint the CEO he wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Dembe View Post
    How many owners are football men these days?
    Most delegate. Tan doesn’t.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Dale's Mole View Post

Give me someone. ANYONE. Anyone at the top who knows what they're doing and can have a positive influence.

I've always felt like we're a sleeping giant of a club. Relatively large city with only one local team. Plenty of hardcore and loyal fans. Huge catchment area. 33,000 stadium is there and ready to be filled.

I still believe - or maybe the right word is dream - that someone in my lifetime will think the same and take us to the top.
    A COO is day to day. The CEO makes the big decisions.

I’m available & just retired from a similar role, different industry but bigger turnover. All you’ve got to do Vincent is send me a message or give me a call. Des

Given the complete absence of any football knowledge on the board, a fact admitted by Mehmet Dalman, a DoF seems to be a no brainer. However, the no-brainer himself, Vincent Tan isn't having any of it.