+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: 40 points after 32 games

40 points after 32 games

Just had a look over the last decade of Championship stats. We're in 14th position with 40 points, the highest a side with 40 points has been placed in the last 6 years.

No side with a similar points tally at this point as got to the playoffs.

Last season Reading had 41 points at this stage. Thanks to a points deduction they were relegated.

In 2019/20, Hull City had 41 points at this stage. They won 4 more points between then and the end of the season and finished bottom. In fact, they lost 16 of their last 20 league games in an incredible end of season crumble.

Collapses of that magnitude don't happen often. But it should act as a warning that, the sooner we get a couple of wins, the better. I'd start to worry if we go another 4 or 5 games and not pick up points. Losing at West Brom and Norwich was to be expected, but 11 defeats in our last 17 games has to get alarm bells ringing.

Re: 40 points after 32 games

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Just had a look over the last decade of Championship stats. We're in 14th position with 40 points, the highest a side with 40 points has been placed in the last 6 years.

Last season Reading had 41 points at this stage. Thanks to a points deduction they were relegated.

In 2019/20, Hull City had 41 points at this stage. They won 4 more points between then and the end of the season and finished bottom. In fact, they lost 16 of their last 20 league games in an incredible end of season crumble.

Collapses of that magnitude don't happen often. But it should act as a warning that, the sooner we get a couple of wins, the better. I'd start to worry if we go another 4 or 5 games and not pick up points. Losing at West Brom and Norwich was to be expected, but 11 defeats in our last 17 games has to get alarm bells ringing.
    with who? the fans? the manager? the board?. not sure anyone cares

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    Yep, and that's a dangerous position to be in.

I forget now which team it was, Palace? That were in the bottom 3 at Christmas and went up via the playoffs? How many points were they on at this point out of interest?

I think it’s been obvious for some time this isn’t a playoff team, we massively over achieved at the start.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    I forget now which team it was, Palace? That were in the bottom 3 at Christmas and went up via the playoffs? How many points were they on at this point out of interest?

I think it’s been obvious for some time this isn’t a playoff team, we massively over achieved at the start.
    47 points. I think momentum is a big thing as well. Our momentum is more like gravity.

Wasn't it Forest? Vague recollection of them being bottom or near bottom for a while then ending up in the playoffs.

47 points. I think momentum is a big thing as well. Our momentum is more like gravity.
    Confidence / momentum is huge and probably part of the reason we started well. Having Ramsey/ODowda, playing well and scoring. Others upped their game and it has that knock on effect. Now we have it in reverse and it’s hard to get out of.

Quote Originally Posted by nomad blue View Post
    Wasn't it Forest? Vague recollection of them being bottom or near bottom for a while then ending up in the playoffs.
    Definitely Palace. In the bottom 3 in December 2003.

Forest had a crap start in 2021 but they were out of the bottom 3 in October

Definitely Palace. In the bottom 3 in December 2003.

Forest had a crap start in 2021 but they were out of the bottom 3 in October
    2003 jeezzzz now I feel old.

2003 jeezzzz now I feel old.
    Iain Dowie was their manager and I can remember them coming here towards the end of the season and winning 2-0. Dowie had a go at one of his players after the game - Julian Gray had been on loan to City earlier in the season and Dowie didn’t like it when Gray responded to City fans’ requests to do the Ayatollah.

It was Palace under Dowie. And guess who they beat to start off their great turnaround?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Iain Dowie was their manager and I can remember them coming here towards the end of the season and winning 2-0. Dowie had a go at one of his players after the game - Julian Gray had been on loan to City earlier in the season and Dowie didn’t like it when Gray responded to City fans’ requests to do the Ayatollah.
    Yessss I remember that haha

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    Bulut cares. This is his entry into the lucrative world of 'English' football management. Unless there's a rapid upturn in results it's his permanent exit as well..