+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: How do young people cope?

How do young people cope?

We've recently found out we're expecting our first child and went to look at prams and newborn stuff yesterday.

For the most popular brand it was a staggering £1400 for just a pram and car seat.

Mid terrace 2 bed house for rent in Canton is about £1400/month

Car insurance is about £750 for a 25 year old.

And I know everyone is in the same boat with high costs, but how are young familes (younger than me) supposed to survive these days when they're stuck in entry level jobs?

Re: How do young people cope?

3 bedroom house in Llanishen/Thornhill is about £1000

But I know what you’re saying/ getting at.

We are living in a cost of greed crisis.
    The rich get richer the poor get poorer all driven by shareholder profits.
    The biggest example of late is British Gas profits increased 10 fold this year whilst the old and poor can't afford to heat their homes.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    We've recently found out we're expecting our first child and went to look at prams and newborn stuff yesterday.

For the most popular brand it was a staggering £1400 for just a pram and car seat.

And I know everyone is in the same boat with high costs, but how are young familes (younger than me) supposed to survive these days when they're stuck in entry level jobs?
    Exactly my thoughts, how are people with families on average wages actually coping? The simple answer is that they aren't and won't. I am a single 37 year old on about the median wage living in a relatively expensive area but with the caveat that I am not able to do my job fully remotely so I couldn't just move to a cheaper area. That means 50% of people working full time earn less than me, many will have young dependants and things are only moving in one direction. These people should have the joy of a young family but instead they have the constant worry that they actually can't afford to pay for basics.

Somehow the establishment have firmly embedded the idea that an above inflation pay rise for working people is pure greed, but criticism of anybody already tremendously wealthy lowering their tax rate is envy. If you extend that a few more decades, the UK resembles something like that scene from Fury Road where Immortal Joe turns on the water.

Something needs to change, I don't know what exactly but when you are looking at an ecosystem where working people are left wondering why they bother, your incentive system is broken. I am not sure I entirely trust the mechanisms used to measure productivity but it wouldn't surprise me if many people are quietly giving up, why try hard when your course is already set for you and it looks so bleak.

I will eventually have a very uncomfortable discussion with work and try to push for working fully remotely and move somewhere I can afford to actually live a healthy/happy life.

I don't see this being fixed by whoever the next government is. The Tories and Lib Dems think it's working well and Labour are scared of their own shadow. We have a Shadow Chancellor whose rhetoric sounds exactly like George Osborne.

Now let's play word bingo. My card reads, 'takeaway coffees', 'netflix subscription' and 'expensive foreign holidays'.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Exactly my thoughts, how are people with families on average wages actually coping? The simple answer is that they aren't and won't. I am a single 37 year old on about the median wage living in a relatively expensive area but with the caveat that I am not able to do my job fully remotely so I couldn't just move to a cheaper area. That means 50% of people working full time earn less than me, many will have young dependants and things are only moving in one direction. These people should have the joy of a young family but instead they have the constant worry that they actually can't afford to pay for basics.

Somehow the establishment have firmly embedded the idea that an above inflation pay rise for working people is pure greed, but criticism of anybody already tremendously wealthy lowering their tax rate is envy. If you extend that a few more decades, the UK resembles something like that scene from Fury Road where Immortal Joe turns on the water.

Something needs to change, I don't know what exactly but when you are looking at an ecosystem where working people are left wondering why they bother, your incentive system is broken. I am not sure I entirely trust the mechanisms used to measure productivity but it wouldn't surprise me if many people are quietly giving up, why try hard when your course is already set for you and it looks so bleak.

I will eventually have a very uncomfortable discussion with work and try to push for working fully remotely and move somewhere I can afford to actually live a healthy/happy life.

I don't see this being fixed by whoever the next government is. The Tories and Lib Dems think it's working well and Labour are scared of their own shadow. We have a Shadow Chancellor whose rhetoric sounds exactly like George Osborne.

Now let's play word bingo. My card reads, 'takeaway coffees', 'netflix subscription' and 'expensive foreign holidays'.
    Don't forget the avocados

You're living through the great shakedown. Outside of the west it's as cheap as chips.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    We are living in a cost of greed crisis.
    The rich get richer the poor get poorer all driven by shareholder profits.
    The biggest example of late is British Gas profits increased 10 fold this year whilst the old and poor can't afford to heat their homes.
    Shareholders like Pension Funds ? - which provide peoples pensions.
    Low interest rates (so savings cant grow), stock market returns have been volatile - so all the money goes into property investments.

If only we had less pensioners.....
    ps I remember my Dad having the same conversations when I was leaving school, 'youngsters' being unable to survive etc.

These days it's the bank of Mum & Dad plus facebook market place - not everything has to be a brand new purchase

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    You're living through the great shakedown. Outside of the west it's as cheap as chips.
    So emigrate is your answer?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    So emigrate is your answer?
    Just stating facts, not offering any advice

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Just stating facts, not offering any advice
    Fair enough. It worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post

I do a lot of walking and bump into the same people most days including a couple who I’d say are in their early forties. Conversation started about the state of blocked drains and questions around why councils no longer clear them and then we moved to talking about the lack of funding for councils. The woman stated that the all the problems in the country started when people insisted on getting the minimum wage, everything was OK before that and cleaners in the NHS are on the same money as doctors I will never understand for the life of me why working class people always blame those at the bottom of the food chain for the state of this country.

Quote Originally Posted by pipster View Post
    Shareholders like Pension Funds ? - which provide peoples pensions.
    Low interest rates (so savings cant grow), stock market returns have been volatile - so all the money goes into property investments.

If only we had less pensioners.....
    ps I remember my Dad having the same conversations when I was leaving school, 'youngsters' being unable to survive etc.

These days it's the bank of Mum & Dad plus facebook market place - not everything has to be a brand new purchase
    Utilities should be publicly owned or at least governed by strict rules to stop the ridiculous situation we have now vast profits on the 1 side and people on the other side not being able to warm their homes.
    But keep going with your capitalist mantra that greed is good.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Fair enough. It worked for me.
    And me. Would never consider moving back even tho Cardiff seems very decent

I remember when I was a apprentice, the guys would warm me that I was doomed, house prices, cost of food and cars, low wages, the list went on and on, the kids today will never make it

that was 35 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I remember when I was a apprentice, the guys would warm me that I was doomed, house prices, cost of food and cars, low wages, the list went on and on, the kids today will never make it

that was 35 years ago
    I though we were nailed on to have a classic matt story time (with plenty of points made in brackets) when I saw you were latest to post.

I feel cheated.

Quote Originally Posted by Dembe View Post
    I though we were nailed on to have a classic matt story time (with plenty of points made in brackets) when I saw you were latest to post.

I feel cheated.

Wouldnt want to bore anyone, sharp and too the point now

I know where my stories aren't wanted

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post

We bought a decent new pram for £300…..they still make them, no doubt about £100 more now. Rents going through the roof, you can thank the welsh government for that, loads of landlords jacking it in and few seem to want to bother with the hassle….

Quote Originally Posted by Dembe View Post

I feel cheated.
    Where’s the warrior gone? He disappeared for a while it seems…..:

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    Utilities should be publicly owned or at least governed by strict rules to stop the ridiculous situation we have now vast profits on the 1 side and people on the other side not being able to warm their homes.
    But keep going with your capitalist mantra that greed is good.
    Something needs to happen with utilities asap, another month over a post £300 bill…..it was £100 less last winter. Why aren’t their massive profits used to subsidise us anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Something needs to happen with utilities asap, another month over a post £300 bill…..it was £100 less last winter. Why aren’t their massive profits used to subsidise us anymore?
    Because those profits are filling someone’s drinks cabinet in the Cayman Islands or some other exotic place.

Base level energy costs are back to their 3 year old levels ( i think it might have been Jamie Jenkins who stated this on X) those of us who pay these bills are well aware that prices haven't decreased in line with the reduced costs, did anyone, honest a god, think they ever would ? but back to the topic, the squeezing out of home ownership, this is IMO by design, get ready for the 15 min cities boys and girls & other!!, pokey little flats in high rise tower blocks, no need of car ownership, finances controlled by CBDC, carbon credits & holidays in Blackpool for us plebs, conspiracy ?, we'll see
    How do young people cope ? you are not supposed to, you will be broken until you comply.

Council tax has gone through the roof over the last decade as well. Here in Barry , Vale of Glam have increased it by nearly 50 percent in the last decade and some of the proposed rises this year are astronomical. Do we really need 22 unitary authorities for a population slightly less than Greater Manchester? My youngest son who has a young family lives in Llantrisant and is dreading the rise RCT want to levy this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathblue View Post
    Base level energy costs are back to their 3 year old levels ( i think it might have been Jamie Jenkins who stated this on X) those of us who pay these bills are well aware that prices haven't decreased in line with the reduced costs, did anyone, honest a god, think they ever would ? but back to the topic, the squeezing out of home ownership, this is IMO by design, get ready for the 15 min cities boys and girls & other!!, pokey little flats in high rise tower blocks, no need of car ownership, finances controlled by CBDC, carbon credits & holidays in Blackpool for us plebs, conspiracy ?, we'll see
    How do young people cope ? you are not supposed to, you will be broken until you comply.
    I don't think the fall in owner occupation is anything to do with your bundle of 'conspiracy ?' plots.

The biggest factor is cash rich buy-to-let landlords squeezing out first time buyers who have seen the cost of homes skyrocket whilst their wages have been stagnant or fallen. Other factors too - but from 70.9 of all homes being owner occupied in 2003, it has now fallen to 64.3% (was 62.6% in 2016). Not a problem if that is part of a mixed and affordable housing stock that meets needs - but it isn't.

At the same time social renting (mostly Council and Housing Association) has fallen to its lowest in a century at 16.6%. Private renting is up to around 19-20% of the total stock of homes. A big chunk of those privately rented homes are ex Council Right To Buys that have been sold on and ended up with private landlords who typically (in London and some other big cities) charge 3 times the rent of an identical retained Council home - either adding to homelessness (some of it hidden) or to the national housing benefit bill. As with low wages, bad employers and bad landlords are subsidised via the Treasury by the rest of us.

So not 15 minutes cities, the end of cash, or Bill Gates chips floating in our latest vaccine shot - just under regulated capitalism where the rich get richer and the majority just try to stay afloat.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Wouldnt want to bore anyone, sharp and too the point now

I know where my stories aren't wanted
    Damn shame, I always liked them.

Quote Originally Posted by islandblue View Post
    Council tax has gone through the roof over the last decade as well. Here in Barry , Vale of Glam have increased it by nearly 50 percent in the last decade and some of the proposed rises this year are astronomical. Do we really need 22 unitary authorities for a population slightly less than Greater Manchester? My youngest son who has a young family lives in Llantrisant and is dreading the rise RCT want to levy this year.
    It's worth looking up what this is spent on. Our council budget was released a few weeks back, 50% of the overall county council budget went to adult social care.

People think their council tax covers people to pick their bins up and potholes, which makes people think it's terrible value. Social care should be centrally funded to take away this lottery of funding, some councils will be in a far worse place than others because of demographics.