+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How do young people cope?

International

Re: How do young people cope?

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Does eBay have a 2 bed flat for 50 quid a month?
    Probably closer to £50 than £1400

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Nearly every flat being built in Cardiff city centre now is buy to let. They will never go on open sale.

It's an absolute disgrace, a total scandal and the welsh government and council sit back and watch. Appalling
    Yep most owned by banks or huge companies/ hedge funds. There is a huge shortage of hotels in Cardiff so they are also built for airbnb style living now too. Lots of low end hotels now just housing homeless families…what a life eh.

Quote Originally Posted by waynekerr55 View Post
    Drink less coffee and stop having avocado on toast. At least that's what the "brains" on GB news and the Mail telling them...
    Some of these ne’er-do-wells have mobile phones & televisions, some even drive, their kids are clean and well dressed as well. Don’t they realise they’d have been up chimneys with Dick Van Dyke in Victorian times. They just don’t know their place!!!

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Yep most owned by banks or huge companies/ hedge funds. There is a huge shortage of hotels in Cardiff so they are also built for airbnb style living now too. Lots of low end hotels now just housing homeless families…what a life eh.
    Well that's capitalism for you

Thatcher basically privatised the social housing sector and this is what we are left with

If people are appalled by this then blame the selfish gits who voted Conservative in the 1980s

It will take 20 years of investment in social housing to turn this nightmare around

There was a post war concensus in housing policy and although mistakes were made such as some of the high rise estates it was accepted that low cost housing for rent and sale was needed

Along came the Tories, ripped up protected rent ......this is where you are paying huge market rents to private landlords ! ......and sold off council housing .....Great for those who got a house from a huge state subsidy ........a nightmare for those left scrabbling and squabbling around for what was left

It's not the fault of the Welsh government , they have stopped the sale of council homes

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Nearly every flat being built in Cardiff city centre now is buy to let. They will never go on open sale.

It's an absolute disgrace, a total scandal and the welsh government and council sit back and watch. Appalling
    This is the result of unmanaged free market capitalism involved in the housing market and seeped into social housing

There is no real social housing left now thanks to the conservatives so the homeless and poorly housed on the waiting lists are directed to hugely over priced private accommodation..........which is paid for by the state through housing benefit ......and goes to private landlords

It is absolutely a scandal and it's down to your lot

The local authorities have absolutely no choice but to house those on the waiting lists into private housing until we start building a glut of social housing

What else would you propose ?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

It's not the fault of the Welsh government , they have stopped the sale of council homes
    Well done. They shut the gate after the horse had bolted. Bravo.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Well done. They shut the gate after the horse had bolted. Bravo.
    How do you propose that the Welsh government fund the huge House building needed which was lost to council house sales ?

Without tax raising powers ?

Enlighten me

How do you propose that the Welsh government fund the huge House building needed which was lost to council house sales ?

Enlighten me
    Speeding tickets for people driving over 20 mph

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Speeding tickets for people driving over 20 mph
    How much will that raise ?

Pointless having an opinion on something you can't change isn't it? At least that's what you said.

Quote Originally Posted by Dembe View Post
    Pointless having an opinion on something you can't change isn't it? At least that's what you said.
    The grown ups are talking now dembe

Voting for a new government can change things

If you are old enough to vote I would suggest that's what you do

The grown ups are talking now dembe

Voting for a new government can change things

If you are old enough to vote I would suggest that's what you do
    I am simply reminding the grown up of what he previously states, incase his old mind did nor recall events of only a few days ago.

Blindly voting Labour over and over is your solution, because you dad did, and his dad before.

The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over and expect different results.

I was brought up "vote labour, keep the tory bastards out" I will never vote labour, the soft leftie types have created a mess where people rely on handouts, hard working people are expected to watch on as more and more people freeload.

Oh shit, I forgot, I can't change it so my opinion is invalid, ah well on with my day I go.

I am simply reminding the grown up of what he previously states, incase his old mind did nor recall events of only a few days ago.

Blindly voting Labour over and over is your solution, because you dad did, and his dad before.

The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over and expect different results.

I was brought up "vote labour, keep the tory bastards out" I will never vote labour, the soft leftie types have created a mess where people rely on handouts, hard working people are expected to watch on as more and more people freeload.

Oh shit, I forgot, I can't change it so my opinion is invalid, ah well on with my day I go.
    You are out of your depth here sonny

If you think people struggling are just relying on handouts rather than being at the mercy of government policy then I don't intend wasting any of my time discussing this with you

I think it's best that, as you say, you get on with your day

My wife's £88 has gone to Central government not the Senedd.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    My wife's £88 has gone to Central government not the Senedd.
    Well it's a start

A gesture

I don't intend wasting any of my time discussing this with you

I think it's best that, as you say, you get on with your day
    You're a fast learner.

You've been saying the same things over snd over on here since day dot, nobody "has a discussion" with you. You repeat yourself over and over while others have opinions and you jump over a thread saying the same things over and over.

You don't want discussion, you just want to shout louder than the next person and repeat yourself until you fall asleep hoping the rest give up. You'll go quiet then pounce on a completely different thread saying the same things over and over.

You're a fast learner.

You've been saying the same things over snd over on here since day dot, nobody "has a discussion" with you. You repeat yourself over and over while others have opinions and you jump over a thread saying the same things over and over.

You don't want discussion, you just want to shout louder than the next person and repeat yourself until you fall asleep hoping the rest give up. You'll go quiet then pounce on a completely different thread saying the same things over and over.
    I don't want discussion with you that's for certain sonny

I don't want discussion with you that's for certain sonny
    I am absolutely gutted.

I've always wanted to have an internet back and forth on housing issues with a brick wall.

There were 6.4 million people on Universal Credit in January 2024. 39% of them were in work - but not earning enough to live.

Is the 'mess' you speak of people claiming benefits (many don't claim who could) or the levels of pay that mean they cannot survive without?

The benefits system is a mess - the UC 'reforms' didn't resolve that and in many ways made it worse - but the underlying problem is poverty and low pay (and high housing and utilities costs). I'm sure you have your reasons for blaming 'soft leftie types' for all that but I think there are more obvious targets.

I am absolutely gutted.

I've always wanted to have an internet back and forth on housing issues with a brick wall.
    I know but it's for the best

Maybe you can do some finger painting with the teacher or play in the sand pit ?

Best of luck with everything

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    There were 6.4 million people on Universal Credit in January 2024. 39% of them were in work - but not earning enough to live.

Is the 'mess' you speak of people claiming benefits (many don't claim who could) or the levels of pay that mean they cannot survive without?

The benefits system is a mess - the UC 'reforms' didn't resolve that and in many ways made it worse - but the underlying problem is poverty and low pay (and high housing and utilities costs). I'm sure you have your reasons for blaming 'soft leftie types' for all that but I think there are more obvious targets.
    You are wasting your time Jon

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post

There are also plenty that claim that shouldn't.

People know how to play the system, people that are fit enough to work cash in hand but also claim the highest rates of disability, housing benefit etc etc. People know how to play the system. They'll squeeze every last penny they can, child benefit etc. How much is given to people that don't need it every year?

There are black people in America that blame the welfare state for ruining black families, mothers happy to raise kids without fathers because they get housing and other handouts.

More you give more people take, perhaps money given to people that don't need it but are happy to claim it (and more) could be better spent elsewhere, maybe they could spend it on care for the elderly, and put our council tax rates back down.

You are wasting your time Jon
    You've played the system your entire adult life, you would say that. But as you've pointed out, you don't want to discuss with me do you so you needn't reply

Well that's capitalism for you

Thatcher basically privatised the social housing sector and this is what we are left with

If people are appalled by this then blame the selfish gits who voted Conservative in the 1980s

It will take 20 years of investment in social housing to turn this nightmare around

There was a post war concensus in housing policy and although mistakes were made such as some of the high rise estates it was accepted that low cost housing for rent and sale was needed

Along came the Tories, ripped up protected rent ......this is where you are paying huge market rents to private landlords ! ......and sold off council housing .....Great for those who got a house from a huge state subsidy ........a nightmare for those left scrabbling and squabbling around for what was left

There’s a huge amount of houses being built to the north and west of Cardiff….adding 100,000 to the population. I’m not sure who is buying all these new builds but they appear to be….i imagine there has to be some social housing amongst them all?

International

Enlighten me
    Give them £100Billion, they would blow it in weeks on making Famers uncompetitive by planting more trees, slowing the motorways to 40mph and as many daft ideas as possible to further reduce the terrible economy.