+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Sheffield Utd

Sheffield Utd

Think I’d rather be a fan here than there.

Not quite in Derby Coonty results, ut not far off.

Re: Sheffield Utd

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post

I would always rather be a Cardiff fan. Our misery is always better than someone else's misery!

But from talking to a few formerly die hard Blades fans (I live 2 miles from their ground), the Chris Wilder magic has completely worn off and their anger at their club makes us look like the biggest bunch of happy clappy cheerleaders ever.

They are depressed, disillusioned, and have mostly stopped going to Bramall Lane for more pain. Their only consolation is that the other lot in blue were nailed on for relegation - but even that doesn't look certain any more.

First Team

When I worked in Sheffield in the 1990s, I had a lot more sympathy for the Wendies. And they have a lot more to complain about than the Unitedites currently.

I lived in Chesterfield at the time and knew a few of their fans. They called all the Sheffield United and Wednesday fans "dee-dahs". It humored me.

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    When I worked in Sheffield in the 1990s, I had a lot more sympathy for the Wendies. And they have a lot more to complain about than the Unitedites currently.

I lived in Chesterfield at the time and knew a few of their fans. They called all the Sheffield United and Wednesday fans "dee-dahs". It humored me.
    Sheffield FC (the oldest club in the galaxy) play in Dronfield - half way between Sheffield United and Chesterfield.

There is a mural campaign starting to promote them and the city as ‘the home of football’!

IMG_6225.jpg

Even Derby didn't concede three consecutive fives at home - especially with two of them to the same team!

I saw some of their game yesterday and it seemed to me they are a much weaker side than the 3 relegated teams from last season currently in the Championship

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Sheffield FC (the oldest club in the galaxy) play in Dronfield - half way between Sheffield United and Chesterfield.

There is a mural campaign starting to promote them and the city as ‘the home of football’!

IMG_6225.jpg
    Are they also the home of KFC?

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    I saw some of their game yesterday and it seemed to me they are a much weaker side than the 3 relegated teams from last season currently in the Championship
    The gap is getting bigger and bigger each year it seems. Of the promoted teams I expected Luton to go down with a record low point total, but they are the one team who have actually built around an identity and trying to do something a bit different like Brentford and Bournemouth have previously done, and they were massively unlucky not to get anything against United yesterday. Don't think they have the firepower to hold off clubs like Everton and Palace, but if they play like that they've got a real shot. Sheff Utd are just crap, even their big additions have been top end Championship players, it seems like they're quite happy to take the money and the parachute payments.

Burnley are the disappointing one to me, he's tried to play a top half style and signed lots of exciting young players, but it hasn't come together. At least if they go down they should be able to get some decent money for players like Koleosho and Amdouni, but they will have to spend it well to try to build a squad that can go up and stay up next time around.

I often look at the teams doing really badly in the Premier League, especially if they are newly promoted (so Sheffield Utd and Burnley currently) and trying to remember if we were THAT bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    I often look at the teams doing really badly in the Premier League, especially if they are newly promoted (so Sheffield Utd and Burnley currently) and trying to remember if we were THAT bad?
    No we weren’t that bad, last time we were very unlucky to get relegated.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    If the three teams were added to make 23, with three down, I think Leeds Southampton and Leicester would stay up easily.

They are much better than Luton, Burnley and Sheff U, although confidence and the lack of confidence is affecting all six teams massively.

That is the hope that I cling to! For no particular reason :-/

I think we spent too much of our two seasons in the Premier League lacking the belief we could stay up. Having watched Luton a few times, I find myself thinking I wish we had their attitude when we were in the Premier League - we had better players than Luton, but that win against Man City apart we never frightened the best teams in the same way Luton have.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I think we spent too much of our two seasons in the Premier League lacking the belief we could stay up. Having watched Luton a few times, I find myself thinking I wish we had their attitude when we were in the Premier League - we had better players than Luton, but that win against Man City apart we never frightened the best teams in the same way Luton have.

Take your point, but will they get to 34 ppints? It seems that the PL is more unforgiving now than 3/4 years ago and the gap is wide ending between mid table sides and bottom 3.

First Team

Even Derby didn't concede three consecutive fives at home - especially with two of them to the same team!
    Careful Bob. I vaguely remember as a kid watching us lose 6-3 and 6-1 at home in consecutive games against Luton and Sheffield United.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post

IMG_6225.jpg
    Cripes, Dronfield. Now I'm remembering the train to work and back from Sheffield. It feels like another planet.

29000 at Bramhall Lane v Brighton

100% this.

We were bad. We weren't unlucky. We were 2 points adrift and our goal difference was shocking.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    We were bad. We weren't unlucky. We were 2 points adrift and our goal difference was shocking.
    We had an awful start, almost made it up, but it's difficult playing catch up all season.