+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The level of quality in our current squad

The level of quality in our current squad

Ive had a look at our current matchday squad to try and work out where its at in terms of ability. I’ve split the players into 4 categories; players that are playing well, players playing below a level we’ve seen from them before or that they’ve shown at other clubs, players who aren’t good enough and players for whom the juries out. Ive tried to consider the views of others as well as my own. Ive left out brand new signings and injured players. Heres what Ive got:

Playing well
    Goutas
    McGuiness
    Ng
    Colwill

Juries out
    Collins
    Alnwick
    Bowler
    Ralls

Playing below their ability
    Meite
    Grant
    Tanner
    Wintle
    Siopis
    Robinson

Not good enough
    Etete
    Romeo
    Sawyers

IMHO I think this squad is playing well below its collective ability and it’s not a ‘League 1 squad’ as some would have you believe. Whether you think thats down to the manager, the players or just a terrible run of form is a matter for debate. Id be interested to hear other people’s thoughts

Re: The level of quality in our current squad

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff Ultra View Post
    Ive had a look at our current matchday squad to try and work out where its at in terms of ability. I’ve split the players into 4 categories; players that are playing well, players playing below a level we’ve seen from them before or that they’ve shown at other clubs, players who aren’t good enough and players for whom the juries out. Ive tried to consider the views of others as well as my own. Ive left out brand new signings and injured players. Heres what Ive got:

Playing well
    Goutas
    McGuiness
    Ng
    Colwill

Juries out
    Collins
    Alnwick
    Bowler
    Ralls

Playing below their ability
    Meite
    Grant
    Tanner
    Wintle
    Siopis
    Robinson

Not good enough
    Etete
    Romeo
    Sawyers

IMHO I think this squad is playing well below its collective ability and it’s not a ‘League 1 squad’ as some would have you believe. Whether you think thats down to the manager, the players or just a terrible run of form is a matter for debate. Id be interested to hear other people’s thoughts
    If I was planning a promotion campaign next season, who, out of all of those, would I keep?

Alnwick, Goutas, Colwill (starters), McGuinness, Ralls, Tanner, Grant (bench players to prove a point), some of the youngsters.

For me.. Alnwick goes up a category, Bowler clearly goes down (he's been one of the better wingers in the Championship before and got himself a move to the Prem based off it), not sure how you can say Tanner is playing below his ability seeing his previous experience has been Tier 9, he's between juries out and not good enough for me.

The other thing not really included here is the impact of injuries and age... Collins and Meite notably, yes they've been good players before but now, they are definitely edging towards not good enough tier, if not there already - I fear for Meite this might be the case. Ralls too if we're being honest.

I would drop Bowler done one.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    If I was planning a promotion campaign next season, who, out of all of those, would I keep?

Alnwick, Goutas, Colwill (starters), McGuinness, Ralls, Tanner, Grant (bench players to prove a point), some of the youngsters.
    No Ng Eric? An oversight or not good enough? Probably favourite for player of the season, isn’t he?

I think that's a reasonable summation by the OP squad.
    My overall feeling is that, without Ramsey, we are a midtable side and are performing below our collective abilities. With him, we should be close to top6.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    My overall feeling is that, without Ramsey, we are a midtable side and are performing below our collective abilities. With him, we should be close to top6.
    It's a good thread, a bit of thought gone in to it. Although The jury being out on Ralls got me. He's played over 350 league games and has been knocking about since 2011. Can someone let me know when he's likely to peak.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    It's a good thread, a bit of thought gone in to it. Although The jury being out on Ralls got me. He's played over 350 league games and has been knocking about since 2011. Can someone let me know when he's likely to peak.
    With a fit Ralls, we are a better side, more than perhaps any other player.(Ramsey apart). So jury's not out, but I think the OP is referencing his unreliability due to injury.
    I hope Ralls is fit to start tomorrow.

With a fit Ralls, we are a better side, more than perhaps any other player.(Ramsey apart). So jury's not out, but I think the OP is referencing his unreliability due to injury.
    I hope Ralls is fit to start tomorrow.
    Totally agree, I do think his time as a high earner comes to and end if he stays next season.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Totally agree, I do think his time as a high earner comes to and end if he stays next season.
    I don't think he is a high earner. Haven't we got a salary cap of £15k a week or have I invented that?

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    No Ng Eric? An oversight or not good enough? Probably favourite for player of the season, isn’t he?
    Bench player at best. Certainly not good enough for a promotion side. Very few in the squad are.

I agree.

If all or most of our squad were performing close to their ceiling (or 'being the best version of themselves they can be') we could be in the mix with Coventry and West Brom.

As it is the squad is now much less than the sum of its parts. It is low on confidence, has seen the manager go all defensive and stifle the more creative players, and then had key injuries on top. Carry on like this and it isn't too late to drop through the trap door.

The board and the players have to take their share of the responsibility - but the manager is the one who has overseen this collapse and has to find a way out - if he can. It is difficult when you are new to the league and the country, have a habit of over-promising and under-delivering, don't take responsibility for failure, scapegoat players, pin everything on quality reinforcements on 1 January then throw your toys when that doesn't happen, and then give a good impression of a rabbit in the headlights.

Hopefully he has the skills and qualities to reinvent himself, turn this shit show around, and rebuild a relationship with the fans (and media) that has been squandered week by week and game by game.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    I would drop Bowler done one.
    I rate Bowler. He provides a threat. He's not perfect, but at this level who is?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I rate Bowler. He provides a threat. He's not perfect, but at this level who is?
    Confidence player. He is low on confidence.