+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nail on the head piece from Paul Abbandonato

Nail on the head piece from Paul Abbandonato

I don't see what Bulut is hoping to achieve by being so negative. This piece in WalesOnline today makes perfect sense.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...N5_o2cTIl_PF1Q

When I first heard Cardiff City wanted to bring in Erol Bulut as their new manager, like the majority of Bluebirds fans I found the news to be hugely exciting.

After years of Russell Slade, Neil Harris, Mick McCarthy and Steve Morison, finally the Bluebirds were appointing a progressive young manager with pedigree who looked as if he was really going places in the game.

Bulut had done well in Turkey. You don’t get the chance to manage Fenerbahce, a giant club bossed by World Cup and European Championship winners, unless you have something meaningful about you.

What I considered to be Cardiff’s best summer transfer window - Ramsey, Goutas, Siopis, Grant, Bowler, Panzo - merely heightened the fresh enthusiasm surrounding Wales’ capital city club.

This was a team really going places, we felt, further underlined by some excellent early season performances, including against the better teams in the division, as Cardiff under Bulut played front foot, positive, even swashbuckling at times football.

Even amid late early-season setbacks versus Leeds United, Leicester City and Ipswich Town, Cardiff were displaying enough intent and panache to offer real hope for the rest of the 2023-24 campaign.

Good results duly arrived. After smashing Huddersfield in style 4-0 away, and a couple of welcome derby wins over Swansea City and Bristol City, by the end of October Bulut’s Bluebirds sat towards the top of the table and fans loved their new manager. With January strengthening to come, things could only get better.

So we thought.

Suddenly, complete and utter implosion. And, like so many Cardiff fans, I still can’t work it out.

Cardiff have lost 11 of the subsequent 18 matches and, even more alarming, has been the consistently woeful level of performances. It’s been truly dire - slow, ponderous, negative, uncreative back-foot football. From being a side playing at such a high tempo, Bulut’s Bluebirds have morphed into one who for months have mainly only looked capable of scoring from set pieces and seem as if they’re showing way too much respect for the opposition.

I’ve heard and read an awful lot of criticism of Cardiff’s front men in recent times, but the way Cardiff play Harry Kane would struggle to score in this team. A prime Cristiano Ronaldo might even have a problem.

Invariably, in wake of the 4-1 hammering at Norwich which so easily could have been eight or nine, fans say they have had enough. After that one, the clamour for Bulut to go has begun. The football is as bad as anything we saw under McCarthy, Harris or Slade, say the critics.

Unfortunately, it’s hard to argue against. It’s been that bad.

But… and there has to be a BIG BUT here. Whereas I had little belief in Slade, Harris and one or two others, a large part of me feels Bulut simply has to be a much, much better manager than he has shown since November and that he can still take this club onwards and upwards.

As such I still fervently want to see him turn this around. In order for that to happen, though, first Bulut needs to accept the recent approach to games is wrong and that a complete reset is required.

For me, the negative set-up since November is letting down the many people who have supported Bulut’s appointment from day one. That includes chairman Mehmet Dalman, who went out on a limb to bring him here, and Bluebirds owner Vincent Tan, who wants more offence-minded football.

I hear criticism of Bulut not being backed by the Cardiff board, yet I saw a league table the other day which states the Bluebirds have the sixth highest wage bill in the Championship. In these days of austerity, does that really represent not being backed by the hierarchy?

Cardiff undoubtedly have the personnel in this squad to be far more adventurous in outlook?

Thus, instead of setting up so negatively, with two defensive midfielders at home, and often with 10 men sitting deep behind the ball, how about a more positive line-up and approach from the off?

How about setting free Karlan Grant, Josh Bowler and Yakou Meite, asking them to play a good 20 yards higher up the pitch so they can run at defenders one on one instead of seeing two or three men covering?

No-one is asking for a return of Warnockball, but how about stopping this slow-slow, pass the ball around at the back, into midfield, then ponderously back again to the defence or goalkeeper style, and replacing it with a much quicker tempo to Cardiff's game?

Wouldn’t it be better to start playing with greater urgency again, for the midfielders pass forward, not back?

The front players have no chance at the moment because by the time the ball reaches them, opposition defences have been permitted to re-set and have everyone back in position themselves. Cardiff have talent in those front positions, but in my opinion good players are being made to look ordinary by a) tracking back defensively too much and b) not getting anything remotely resembling a speedy enough service.

Is it really too much to ask Grant, Bowler or Callum Robinson to have licence to run beyond the front man and stretch defences in the way Rob Earnshaw, Michael Chopra and Craig Bellamy so splendidly used to do. Cardiff fans want fast, creative, dynamic football in that final third of the pitch, but it stems from getting the ball to the front men with much greater tempo.

The one shining light amid the dire recent displays has been the re-emergence of Rubin Colwill, an enormous young talent who many feel the team should be built around. He was running the show in the 1-0 win away to Watford before Bulut, for whatever reason, chose to substitute him. Cardiff immediately fell apart and were somewhat fortunate to hold onto their hard-earned lead. It’s not the first time this has happened with Colwill.

Inexplicably, for the next game at home to Preston, Bulut left him out. I found that decision the most perplexing of the lot. I had no issue with David Turnbull being picked, he’s an exciting January capture from Celtic, but why at home to Preston were two defensive midfielders required at the expense of a creative talent like Colwill in such prime form?

The one glimmer of hope versus Norwich early on came through Colwill and Grant linking beautifully down the right and troubling the Canaries. Grant was switched over to the left, Cardiff went into defensive mode again and the threat immediately disappeared.

Why, some are again asking?

I repeat, I still fervently hope Bulut turns this around and justifies the belief so many have had in him from day one. That includes yours truly, I openly admit.

But it’s down to him to sort this. Starting with Blackburn at home on Tuesday night.

He has more than enough options in his squad to make this Cardiff team a much greater force. The sum of the parts need to start matching up.

Maybe a more adventurous midfield diamond is the way to go - Manou Siopis at the base, Colwill at the tip, with Turnbull and Aaron Ramsey (when fit) or young Joey Colwill in the middle. Siopis looked a wonderful player when he first arrived, I’m convinced he can return to those levels with forward-looking players around him who have the vision to shift the ball on more quickly. At the moment, he’s become symptomatic of the problems.

Grant is a huge talent, but he needs to be released much further up the pitch and thus start scoring and creating a lot more.

There is also an argument for putting wonderful servant Joe Ralls at left-back for a while, use his experience to help tighten up that area next to new man Nat Phillips and enable Greek international Dimitrios Goutas rediscover the form which made him look one of the best defenders in the division.

Cardiff’s side lack pace, compared to other teams, but they are also made to look even slower by the ponderous nature of the football and from having to come forward from deep way too often.

I maintain these problems are fixable and I want Bulut to be the man to fix them. Cardiff strengthened in January, they have Ramsey, Callum O’Dowda and Callum Robinson on the brink of returning. There are numerous options for Bulut to tinker with, but the new default setting needs to be one of adventure, rather than caution.

As appeared to be the case during an exciting start to the season under him.

Bulut isn‘t going to listen to someone like me, but maybe the time has come for Tan and Dalman to have a word and demand the change of approach so many fans are coveting. I’ve always felt because of the depth in the squad post-January, Cardiff would get better as the season wore on. Perversely, it’s been getting progressively worse

Norwich City needs to be a watershed moment. Tuesday night, against Blackburn, is the perfect time to start turning it around once more. Let’s start seeing the Cardiff we so enjoyed watching in August, September and October again.

Is that really too much to ask?

Re: Nail on the head piece from Paul Abbandonato

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    I don't see what Bulut is hoping to achieve by being so negative. This piece in WalesOnline today makes perfect sense.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...N5_o2cTIl_PF1Q

When I first heard Cardiff City wanted to bring in Erol Bulut as their new manager, like the majority of Bluebirds fans I found the news to be hugely exciting.

After years of Russell Slade, Neil Harris, Mick McCarthy and Steve Morison, finally the Bluebirds were appointing a progressive young manager with pedigree who looked as if he was really going places in the game.

Bulut had done well in Turkey. You don’t get the chance to manage Fenerbahce, a giant club bossed by World Cup and European Championship winners, unless you have something meaningful about you.

What I considered to be Cardiff’s best summer transfer window - Ramsey, Goutas, Siopis, Grant, Bowler, Panzo - merely heightened the fresh enthusiasm surrounding Wales’ capital city club.

This was a team really going places, we felt, further underlined by some excellent early season performances, including against the better teams in the division, as Cardiff under Bulut played front foot, positive, even swashbuckling at times football.

Even amid late early-season setbacks versus Leeds United, Leicester City and Ipswich Town, Cardiff were displaying enough intent and panache to offer real hope for the rest of the 2023-24 campaign.

Good results duly arrived. After smashing Huddersfield in style 4-0 away, and a couple of welcome derby wins over Swansea City and Bristol City, by the end of October Bulut’s Bluebirds sat towards the top of the table and fans loved their new manager. With January strengthening to come, things could only get better.

So we thought.

Suddenly, complete and utter implosion. And, like so many Cardiff fans, I still can’t work it out.

Cardiff have lost 11 of the subsequent 18 matches and, even more alarming, has been the consistently woeful level of performances. It’s been truly dire - slow, ponderous, negative, uncreative back-foot football. From being a side playing at such a high tempo, Bulut’s Bluebirds have morphed into one who for months have mainly only looked capable of scoring from set pieces and seem as if they’re showing way too much respect for the opposition.

I’ve heard and read an awful lot of criticism of Cardiff’s front men in recent times, but the way Cardiff play Harry Kane would struggle to score in this team. A prime Cristiano Ronaldo might even have a problem.

Invariably, in wake of the 4-1 hammering at Norwich which so easily could have been eight or nine, fans say they have had enough. After that one, the clamour for Bulut to go has begun. The football is as bad as anything we saw under McCarthy, Harris or Slade, say the critics.

Unfortunately, it’s hard to argue against. It’s been that bad.

But… and there has to be a BIG BUT here. Whereas I had little belief in Slade, Harris and one or two others, a large part of me feels Bulut simply has to be a much, much better manager than he has shown since November and that he can still take this club onwards and upwards.

As such I still fervently want to see him turn this around. In order for that to happen, though, first Bulut needs to accept the recent approach to games is wrong and that a complete reset is required.

For me, the negative set-up since November is letting down the many people who have supported Bulut’s appointment from day one. That includes chairman Mehmet Dalman, who went out on a limb to bring him here, and Bluebirds owner Vincent Tan, who wants more offence-minded football.

I hear criticism of Bulut not being backed by the Cardiff board, yet I saw a league table the other day which states the Bluebirds have the sixth highest wage bill in the Championship. In these days of austerity, does that really represent not being backed by the hierarchy?

Cardiff undoubtedly have the personnel in this squad to be far more adventurous in outlook?

Thus, instead of setting up so negatively, with two defensive midfielders at home, and often with 10 men sitting deep behind the ball, how about a more positive line-up and approach from the off?

How about setting free Karlan Grant, Josh Bowler and Yakou Meite, asking them to play a good 20 yards higher up the pitch so they can run at defenders one on one instead of seeing two or three men covering?

No-one is asking for a return of Warnockball, but how about stopping this slow-slow, pass the ball around at the back, into midfield, then ponderously back again to the defence or goalkeeper style, and replacing it with a much quicker tempo to Cardiff's game?

Wouldn’t it be better to start playing with greater urgency again, for the midfielders pass forward, not back?

The front players have no chance at the moment because by the time the ball reaches them, opposition defences have been permitted to re-set and have everyone back in position themselves. Cardiff have talent in those front positions, but in my opinion good players are being made to look ordinary by a) tracking back defensively too much and b) not getting anything remotely resembling a speedy enough service.

Is it really too much to ask Grant, Bowler or Callum Robinson to have licence to run beyond the front man and stretch defences in the way Rob Earnshaw, Michael Chopra and Craig Bellamy so splendidly used to do. Cardiff fans want fast, creative, dynamic football in that final third of the pitch, but it stems from getting the ball to the front men with much greater tempo.

The one shining light amid the dire recent displays has been the re-emergence of Rubin Colwill, an enormous young talent who many feel the team should be built around. He was running the show in the 1-0 win away to Watford before Bulut, for whatever reason, chose to substitute him. Cardiff immediately fell apart and were somewhat fortunate to hold onto their hard-earned lead. It’s not the first time this has happened with Colwill.

Inexplicably, for the next game at home to Preston, Bulut left him out. I found that decision the most perplexing of the lot. I had no issue with David Turnbull being picked, he’s an exciting January capture from Celtic, but why at home to Preston were two defensive midfielders required at the expense of a creative talent like Colwill in such prime form?

The one glimmer of hope versus Norwich early on came through Colwill and Grant linking beautifully down the right and troubling the Canaries. Grant was switched over to the left, Cardiff went into defensive mode again and the threat immediately disappeared.

Why, some are again asking?

I repeat, I still fervently hope Bulut turns this around and justifies the belief so many have had in him from day one. That includes yours truly, I openly admit.

But it’s down to him to sort this. Starting with Blackburn at home on Tuesday night.

He has more than enough options in his squad to make this Cardiff team a much greater force. The sum of the parts need to start matching up.

Maybe a more adventurous midfield diamond is the way to go - Manou Siopis at the base, Colwill at the tip, with Turnbull and Aaron Ramsey (when fit) or young Joey Colwill in the middle. Siopis looked a wonderful player when he first arrived, I’m convinced he can return to those levels with forward-looking players around him who have the vision to shift the ball on more quickly. At the moment, he’s become symptomatic of the problems.

Grant is a huge talent, but he needs to be released much further up the pitch and thus start scoring and creating a lot more.

There is also an argument for putting wonderful servant Joe Ralls at left-back for a while, use his experience to help tighten up that area next to new man Nat Phillips and enable Greek international Dimitrios Goutas rediscover the form which made him look one of the best defenders in the division.

Cardiff’s side lack pace, compared to other teams, but they are also made to look even slower by the ponderous nature of the football and from having to come forward from deep way too often.

I maintain these problems are fixable and I want Bulut to be the man to fix them. Cardiff strengthened in January, they have Ramsey, Callum O’Dowda and Callum Robinson on the brink of returning. There are numerous options for Bulut to tinker with, but the new default setting needs to be one of adventure, rather than caution.

As appeared to be the case during an exciting start to the season under him.

Bulut isn‘t going to listen to someone like me, but maybe the time has come for Tan and Dalman to have a word and demand the change of approach so many fans are coveting. I’ve always felt because of the depth in the squad post-January, Cardiff would get better as the season wore on. Perversely, it’s been getting progressively worse

Norwich City needs to be a watershed moment. Tuesday night, against Blackburn, is the perfect time to start turning it around once more. Let’s start seeing the Cardiff we so enjoyed watching in August, September and October again.

Is that really too much to ask?
    Get the Tippex out and re-write the article in April. Can't see anything changing soon (please prove me wrong). Indeed, why has it taken this long to write? The writing has been on the wall for months.

Not sure why anyone was excited at his appointment. Personally I’d never heard of him and it seems the criteria for many signings is a mention of Turkey in their cv. He doesn’t seem up to the job and for someone who remembers the Durban era I can’t recall being so depressed and angry at the pitiful performances we are putting in. I can take defeat, we are used to it through the years, but the way we are losing is unbearable.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    Not sure why anyone was excited at his appointment. Personally I’d never heard of him and it seems the criteria for many signings is a mention of Turkey in their cv. He doesn’t seem up to the job and for someone who remembers the Durban era I can’t recall being so depressed and angry at the pitiful performances we are putting in. I can take defeat, we are used to it through the years, but the way we are losing is unbearable.
    I think there was a campaign from the club and some of the local media to make it sound like Bulut was a step up from what we were used to. I suppose an ex manager of Fenerbache is quite impressive, but saying that, we had a future Manchester United manager once sounds more impressive until you dig a bit deeper.

I remember reading something from a Turkish journalist around the time we hired Bulut and he talked about his counter attacking style. It’s only when you remind yourself that he’s had a stint at one of the biggest and richest team in Turkey and still played a defensive game that you see why realise that the current snore fest shouldn’t come as that much iiif a shock .

The alarm bells were also ringing with his public criticism of Robinson and Rubin Colwill. It’s not the criticism itself that was bad, but the fact he went public with it. Besides that, he’s turned Tanner into more of a full back than a winger.

Based on what we’ve seen from Bulut over the whole of his seven months so far, I think what we saw in those early season away matches with Ramsey in the side and a few bonkers cup games, what we’ve been seeing since the end of September in terms of the level of ambition we show both away and at home.

Well it was OK in the early months of the season but reading Paul's piece you would think we were watching Brazil circa 1982.

I hope that the manager turns things around BUT please do not re-invent history - most people said Erol who? when he was appointed.

I hope tomorrow night to be leaving the ground with 3 points secured but for heaven's sake let's be realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I think there was a campaign from the club and some of the local media to make it sound like Bulut was a step up from what we were used to. I suppose an ex manager of Fenerbache is quite impressive, but saying that, we had a future Manchester United manager once sounds more impressive until you dig a bit deeper.

I remember reading something from a Turkish journalist around the time we hired Bulut and he talked about his counter attacking style. It’s only when you remind yourself that he’s had a stint at one of the biggest and richest team in Turkey and still played a defensive game that you see why realise that the current snore fest shouldn’t come as that much iiif a shock .

The alarm bells were also ringing with his public criticism of Robinson and Rubin Colwill. It’s not the criticism itself that was bad, but the fact he went public with it. Besides that, he’s turned Tanner into more of a full back than a winger.

Based on what we’ve seen from Bulut over the whole of his seven months so far, I think what we saw in those early season away matches with Ramsey in the side and a few bonkers cup games, what we’ve been seeing since the end of September in terms of the level of ambition we show both away and at home.
    Sorry about the incoherent last paragraph, the five minutes allowed for editing ran out before I could finish the amendments! What I was trying to say was that the boring stuff seen for the last four or five months is the Bulut norm, not what we saw in those early season away games.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    Get the Tippex out and re-write the article in April. Can't see anything changing soon (please prove me wrong). Indeed, why has it taken this long to write? The writing has been on the wall for months.
    The writing on the wall

In Aramaic

mene, mene, tekel, upharsin

Numbered, numbered, weighed, divided

[QUOTE=the other bob wilson;5490872] I suppose an ex manager of Fenerbache is quite impressive, but saying that, we had a future Manchester United manager once sounds more impressive until you dig a bit deeper.

Ha! I was 13 when Frank O'Farrell was appointed manager and thought at last we were on our way to the promised land! Especially after giving away Toshack to Liverpool and therefore scuppering our chances of getting promoted a couple of seasons before. Oh, how wrong I was!!

International

Sorry about the incoherent last paragraph, the five minutes allowed for editing ran out before I could finish the amendments! What I was trying to say was that the boring stuff seen for the last four or five months is the Bulut norm, not what we saw in those early season away games.
    I can't understand the change, yes we were conceding lot but we scored two goals a game, we just needed a slight tinker not a defend at all costs switch, we've gone from so close to so far away in a few weeks. and then kept it the same, football is supposed to be a simple game?

International

How do most Managers start well here then fade, new Manager bounce yes, is it then lazy players, if they can do it at the start why do they always go backwards shortly after, Warnock for a while longer than the rest, Harris, Morison even McCarthy got a short term lift?

Bulut seems to be going the same way as the rest and we can blame him relaxing after getting a new contract.

He lost me at "Cardiff undoubtedly have the personnel in this squad to be far more adventurous in outlook" I don't see this to be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by The Prophet of Doom View Post
    Well it was OK in the early months of the season but reading Paul's piece you would think we were watching Brazil circa 1982.
    I don't expect journalists to be as blunt as fans but even this "critique" (a lot of words to say we've lost form and he doesn't know why but we should keep the manager) has an air of romanticism. Even when we going pretty well many thought we'd eventually nestle back into mid table. The press began talking of the play-offs and it seems they got carried away.

I agree with the journo on a couple of points. We have better players than has been shown lately. Has Bulut coached them badly. Possibly when you see Robbo half the player he was and Ugbo doing well at Wednesday.
    The other point about us being too defensive at home is valid, but we do not have players good at counter attacking. Again perhaps coaching is to blame.
    If Bulut is unable to get a tune out of his players this week he will have to go.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    He lost me at "Cardiff undoubtedly have the personnel in this squad to be far more adventurous in outlook" I don't see this to be the case.
    I don’t rate many of them but it’s definitely a case of the sum of the parts being less than the individual ability. Usually the reverse in good teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    I agree with the journo on a couple of points. We have better players than has been shown lately. Has Bulut coached them badly. Possibly when you see Robbo half the player he was and Ugbo doing well at Wednesday.
    The other point about us being too defensive at home is valid, but we do not have players good at counter attacking. Again perhaps coaching is to blame.
    If Bulut is unable to get a tune out of his players this week he will have to go.
    All our forwards of recent times, bar maybe Kaba seem to go downhill after joining, most starting well, but quickly turning to shyte…. I give you our forwards coach, Tom Ramasut. How he’s still in a job defies belief.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterwick Blue View Post
    All our forwards of recent times, bar maybe Kaba seem to go downhill after joining, most starting well, but quickly turning to shyte…. I give you our forwards coach, Tom Ramasut. How he’s still in a job defies belief.
    Edit. He might not be our forwards coach, I’m sure I read somewhere he was though!

Quote Originally Posted by Butterwick Blue View Post
    Edit. He might not be our forwards coach, I’m sure I read somewhere he was though!
    Have we got a forwards coach?

Have we got a forwards coach?
    I think we’ve definitely got a backwards coach.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I think we’ve definitely got a backwards coach.
    And a one step forward two steps back coach.

I want CCFC to do well and by that I mean end up in the top half of the table and look as if our performances are progressing towards a better season next year.
    I would be happy to see Bulut achieve that and stick with him for doing so.
    But right now my enthusiasm for him is waning with every performance.
    I believe our players are better than the way they are playing.
    The tactics are the problem and that’s down to Bulut to rectify.

6th highest wage bill in the championship? That's a depressing thought with this team.

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Barry Bastad View Post
    6th highest wage bill in the championship? That's a depressing thought with this team.
    I've seen that thrown around a fair bit but I find it hard to believe. It's according to a website that reckoned we were paying Mark Harris £900 a week last season but were paying Ollie Tanner £4,000

I don't buy into that too much.

After at least 2 years of cost cutting, and in a league that has Leicester, Leeds, Southampton, West Brom, Watford, Hull, Norwich, Boro and Stoke in it - all of whom I am certain have higher wage bills than us..... Don't believe it.

I don’t believe it but with us not being able to pay any loan fees at the start of the season no doubt we are covering a large part of the loan wages if not all of them.