+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooking

Cooking

Anybody else love their cooking?
    It’s become probably my favorite hobby over the last 10 years.

Basically, I missed foods that I couldn’t get in the UK and learned how to make bad versions of what I couldn’t get there into decent versions.

Luckily, I have a pretty large international supermarket here, which provides the most incredible produce and unbelievable herbs and spices from across the globe.

I did a Jamaican oxtail stew yesterday which I think is the best thing I’ve ever made.

Anyone else have a passion for cooking?

My first favorite was “Chewy Tikka” with an introduction into British Style Indian Restaurant cooking. Al’s Kitchen has basically run with that and arguably improved or plagiarized it.
    Regardless it has been great.

“Chef John” on YouTube has been a big favorite once you can get over his accent/cadence.
    I used a hybrid of recipes for yesterdays meal… but it was primarily from “That Dude Can Cook”, who again could initially annoy you, but you tend to mellow to…especially when you taste the results.

These lads are way beyond the likes of Gordon Ramsey etc in teaching you online.

Anyone else enjoy cooking and would like to share?

Re: Cooking

I've always liked cooking and, apart from my ongoing inability to produce non lumpy gravy, am not that bad at it if I say so myself. At my age I know what I like and tend to stick with it, so my cooking's not as adventurous as it once was, but it's enjoyed a bit of a revival since I bought my air fryer about eighteen months ago.

I’m a chef by trade Wash
    I hung up my apron in 2010 to look after my mother in law who suffered from Altzheimers - she passed away in 2018.
    There’s nothing more rewarding than watching peoples faces when they eat something you’ve prepared-it’s the joy of making people happy
    You just can’t beat the feeling mate
    The downside is that you never get invited to dinner with friends but everyone wants to come to your place!!
    I think people in general are more interested in cooking than ever before due to programs on the telly plus so much online content
    How easy is it now to turn to TikTok and watch a tutorial on any recipe you desire?
    I just had textbooks back in the day 🫣

I love cooking, mainly because I was very fussy when I was younger so cooked without things I didn’t like or to try them bit by bit.

I wouldn’t say I’m the best cook but will give anything a go and actually find it relaxing after a day at work. We don’t buy any jars of sauce or buy any pre made meals so usually a lot healthier as well.

I love cooking. When I went to uni, I could barely boil an egg, so it was a case of "learn or starve".
    Just the basics for a while, when I got my first flat, I lived alone and found it easier and cheaper to cook a joint on Sunday and play around with the leftovers for a few days.
    After marriage, my wife and her friend went on a Chinese cooking course. She did ok, but was too wary of the high heat when stir-frying, so I took over. \every New Year's eve, I would cook a spread for us and some friends, following recipes at first, then doing my own thing. Unfortunately, my stroke put an end to that, though I still like to experiment in the kitchen. The worst thing is, my wife, daughter annd her fiance have very conservative tastes so much of my efforts are confined to my own meals when I'm alone.

I follow Misty Ricardo = Richard Sayce and Dan Tombes The Curry guy for my Indian Restaurant type curries.
    Great books both have and YouTube videos.

I always do a batch of base gravy and freeze it along with Pre cooked chicken and Beef.

I have in my house every single ingredient in my kitchen to make any type of curry I like.

Quote Originally Posted by uncle bob View Post
    I follow Misty Ricardo = Richard Sayce and Dan Tombes The Curry guy for my Indian Restaurant type curries.
    Great books both have and YouTube videos.

I always do a batch of base gravy and freeze it along with Pre cooked chicken and Beef.

I have in my house every single ingredient in my kitchen to make any type of curry I like.
    I used his recipe for my batch curry sauces, haven’t done it in a while though, very good.

I do still make Ginger and Garlic ice cubes though, so useful for cooking rather than it going to waste.

I have had to get to grips with cooking since my wife passed away on new years eve, it was just something she did whilst I was responsible for other things.
    I, the same as tobw, am rubbish at making gravy but keep at it in the belief that one day...
    I also got myself an air fryer and am making progress with making sure I get the best diet I can and not just chips with everything.
    I will never be that good but I am sure I am getting better.
    The other day I made a Greens cheesecake, no cooking but I felt pretty good when it turned out ok.

I used to think I was a bit of a dab hand in the kitchen - until I remarried. my wife is from Hong Kong and is just constantly churning out incredible food day after day. other Hong Kong families are always coming to our house to try her food and to learn how to cook various things. it's genuinely better than any restaurant I've been to.
    the down side is she has ridiculously high standards, so if I cook something average, or typically British bland food she will sulk about it for days

I've always done all the cooking in our house more out of necessity, she can feck up toast.
    But tbh I don't find it a chore and find it relaxing.
    I always watched my mum and helped out as a kid so you just pick things up as you go.
    I never follow a recipe I just bung stuff in the Mrs and the boy eat it so that's how I will carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnysideup View Post
    I’m a chef by trade Wash
    I hung up my apron in 2010 to look after my mother in law who suffered from Altzheimers - she passed away in 2018.
    There’s nothing more rewarding than watching peoples faces when they eat something you’ve prepared-it’s the joy of making people happy
    You just can’t beat the feeling mate
    The downside is that you never get invited to dinner with friends but everyone wants to come to your place!!
    I think people in general are more interested in cooking than ever before due to programs on the telly plus so much online content
    How easy is it now to turn to TikTok and watch a tutorial on any recipe you desire?
    I just had textbooks back in the day 🫣
    It is a great feeling when something turns out really good!
    There really are some fantastic tutorial videos on YouTube.

at CCFC they love cooking...the books

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I used to think I was a bit of a dab hand in the kitchen - until I remarried. my wife is from Hong Kong and is just constantly churning out incredible food day after day. other Hong Kong families are always coming to our house to try her food and to learn how to cook various things. it's genuinely better than any restaurant I've been to.
    the down side is she has ridiculously high standards, so if I cook something average, or typically British bland food she will sulk about it for days
    British food is better than Hong Kong Cantonese in my view. Can't beat a British Sunday roast with all the trimmings.

Quote Originally Posted by NinianOpinion1927 View Post
    British food is better than Hong Kong Cantonese in my view. Can't beat a British Sunday roast with all the trimmings.
    each to their own, but I couldn't disagree more.
    I love the UK but food really isn't our strong point, likewise Scandinavia or Germany etc.

almost all western countries have Chinese restaurants, selling an increasing variety of Chinese food.
    not many places outside the UK sell "British food", unless it's to British tourists.

I now do most of the cooking in our gaff.

We use Gousto. Lots of menu options and no waste. Really enjoy it.

I retired a couple of years ago (or semi retired as I'm back at uni part time). I didn't like cooking when was working as I'd have had a 1.5-2 hour drive home from work. Now I enjoy it at the end of a day in the study.

My daughter suggested using Gousto which we did for a couple of years. I've got around 100 recipes, all of which are for 2 people with normally reasonable portion sizes. There have been a few duds but they are mostly good and I seldom make anything that isn't from the Gousto recipe cards.

Cooking is enjoyable imo if you aren't rushing to get something on the table and if you have a good supply of recipes that are suited to you that you don't have to go hunting for.

BTW if anyone can suggest any recipe books or websites that cater specifically for two people and where you don't need to live in central London to be able to find the ingredients then please tell me.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    I retired a couple of years ago (or semi retired as I'm back at uni part time). I didn't like cooking when was working as I'd have had a 1.5-2 hour drive home from work. Now I enjoy it at the end of a day in the study.

My daughter suggested using Gousto which we did for a couple of years. I've got around 100 recipes, all of which are for 2 people with normally reasonable portion sizes. There have been a few duds but they are mostly good and I seldom make anything that isn't from the Gousto recipe cards.

Cooking is enjoyable imo if you aren't rushing to get something on the table and if you have a good supply of recipes that are suited to you that you don't have to go hunting for.

BTW if anyone can suggest any recipe books or websites that cater specifically for two people and where you don't need to live in central London to be able to find the ingredients then please tell me.
    This may sound a bit obvious but I find bbc food website is generally good. If you know what you want they usually have a recipe.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    This may sound a bit obvious but I find bbc food website is generally good. If you know what you want they usually have a recipe.
    They have loads but they're mostly for 4 I've found. I know you should be able to simply halve the ingredients but that doesn't always work and also I can't be arsed to think when I'm cooking.

They have loads but they're mostly for 4 I've found. I know you should be able to simply halve the ingredients but that doesn't always work and also I can't be arsed to think when I'm cooking.
    That’s fair enough, there is only two is us as well but I rarely stick to a recipe, kind of use it as a guide to make up my own odd meal lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    Anybody else love their cooking?
    It’s become probably my favorite hobby over the last 10 years.

Basically, I missed foods that I couldn’t get in the UK and learned how to make bad versions of what I couldn’t get there into decent versions.

Luckily, I have a pretty large international supermarket here, which provides the most incredible produce and unbelievable herbs and spices from across the globe.

I did a Jamaican oxtail stew yesterday which I think is the best thing I’ve ever made.

Anyone else have a passion for cooking?

My first favorite was “Chewy Tikka” with an introduction into British Style Indian Restaurant cooking. Al’s Kitchen has basically run with that and arguably improved or plagiarized it.
    Regardless it has been great.

“Chef John” on YouTube has been a big favorite once you can get over his accent/cadence.
    I used a hybrid of recipes for yesterdays meal… but it was primarily from “That Dude Can Cook”, who again could initially annoy you, but you tend to mellow to…especially when you taste the results.

These lads are way beyond the likes of Gordon Ramsey etc in teaching you online.

Anyone else enjoy cooking and would like to share?
    Yes both my wife and I enjoy cooking everything from scratch; she is better at the british traditional dishes, and I cover mainly the asian & european side. We batch cook with fresh ingredients and freeze most of it to save time and money, also to ensure we aren't eating too much salt, fat and sugar.
    I batched cooked 28 curries one morning last week.

When I meet people who say they can't cook, I do wonder if you've they've got a TV or any idea what an internet connection is! I started in the 1960's with a book with black & white drawings on every few pages so most recipies gave you no idea what it was meant to look like when you were done.
    The massive upgrade today with, TicTok, YouTube etc where you can watch people step-by-step cooking anything on the planet is light years from those dark days.

So I agree with you, get out there, get the ingrediants, take the time, make the effort & upgrade your life, big time!

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    each to their own, but I couldn't disagree more.
    I love the UK but food really isn't our strong point, likewise Scandinavia or Germany etc.

almost all western countries have Chinese restaurants, selling an increasing variety of Chinese food.
    not many places outside the UK sell "British food", unless it's to British tourists.
    What kind of sophistry is this?

Other than Japan and the US, the countries with the most Michellin stars are all European.

If you've ever tried Home, Bulrush or even Heaney's you'll know British food is as good as anything in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by HiVis View Post

Other than Japan and the US, the countries with the most Michellin stars are all European.

If you've ever tried Home, Bulrush or even Heaney's you'll know British food is as good as anything in the world.
    You can't beat a good Chicken Tikka Masala.

Try “Food Wishes” on YouTube.
    The guy who does it “Chef John” will more than likely annoy you initially…but then you end up quite liking the way he speaks and his jokes.

Quote Originally Posted by HiVis View Post

I like British food, probably most of us do as we were brought up on it. Yes i've been to some top end restaurants including Michelin starred ones.
    Hardly anyone outside of Britain has anything nice to say about it though, and there is a reason for that

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    BBC food is worth visiting simply because they give you a picture, the ingredients and the method.

Any American website, apart from using cups with no g/kg equivalent, has about 1,500 words of why they love the dish, a memorable occasion when they cooked it, and the feedback gotten from all attendees, to scroll through before hinting that they might reveal the recipe to you if you scroll a bit further.