+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cooking

Re: Cooking

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    You can't beat a good Chicken Tikka Masala.
    Chilli Con Carne , rice and chips

Chinese takeaway Saturday night

It's wot makes us British

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    BBC food is worth visiting simply because they give you a picture, the ingredients and the method.

Any American website, apart from using cups with no g/kg equivalent, has about 1,500 words of why they love the dish, a memorable occasion when they cooked it, and the feedback gotten from all attendees, to scroll through before hinting that they might reveal the recipe to you if you scroll a bit further.
    This is so annoying.
    I guess they get paid for the inane drivel that they write.
    Usually you can jump straight to the ingredients…if you can navigate the pop ups.

I can't cook. can anyone on here make custard slices? That's some skill between Pastry. I had a go and they were awful, the custard was like rubber. Made a lemon drizzle and that was good.

Quote Originally Posted by truthpaste View Post
    Yes both my wife and I enjoy cooking everything from scratch; she is better at the british traditional dishes, and I cover mainly the asian & european side. We batch cook with fresh ingredients and freeze most of it to save time and money, also to ensure we aren't eating too much salt, fat and sugar.
    I batched cooked 28 curries one morning last week.

When I meet people who say they can't cook, I do wonder if you've they've got a TV or any idea what an internet connection is! I started in the 1960's with a book with black & white drawings on every few pages so most recipies gave you no idea what it was meant to look like when you were done.
    The massive upgrade today with, TicTok, YouTube etc where you can watch people step-by-step cooking anything on the planet is light years from those dark days.

So I agree with you, get out there, get the ingrediants, take the time, make the effort & upgrade your life, big time!
    Interesting post - I mostly agree - although I have always resisted having a screen open in the kitchen with all the risk of steam or hot oil causing damage. The main thing is to cook from scratch with fresh ingedients.

I was also pleasantly surprised that you failed to push the loaves and fishes recipes! About the same time you began a thread on the Alt Forum on obscure racquet sports. Have you been hacked?

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Interesting post - I mostly agree - although I have always resisted having a screen open in the kitchen with all the risk of steam or hot oil causing damage. The main thing is to cook from scratch with fresh ingedients.

I was also pleasantly surprised that you failed to push the loaves and fishes recipes! About the same time you began a thread on the Alt Forum on obscure racquet sports. Have you been hacked?
    Not pushing the loaves & fishes

While I keep the main thing in my life as the main thing; I have many other passions with food and other sports being among them.
    Pickleball may at first sight appear to be a bit of a crossover between two of those passions, however if I haven't been snatched away by 2026 then I'll remind you of your premature verdict on these two new sports!

The Cardiff City House of Sport has already installed 3 Padel Tennis Courts. On screens and kitchens, an i-Pad will do the job just while you are cooking, just keep it away from water, steam and spitting fat

International

I think the blokes on here prefer cooking and Air fryers to Football the Worlds gone mad.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I can't cook. can anyone on here make custard slices? That's some skill between Pastry. I had a go and they were awful, the custard was like rubber. Made a lemon drizzle and that was good.
    I tried a cheesecake with gelatin once, and it just remained as a liquid.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I tried a cheesecake with gelatin once, and it just remained as a liquid.
    Not so lardy then?
    While they can take up to 24 hours to set, this sounds like insufficient gelatin was employed.

Quote Originally Posted by truthpaste View Post
    Not so lardy then?
    While they can take up to 24 hours to set, this sounds like insufficient gelatin was employed.
    some fruits like pineapple can interfere with the gelatin setting

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    some fruits like pineapple can interfere with the gelatin setting
    Indeed, from my jam making days I seem to remember that every fruit has different levels, so the gelling agent needs to be adjusted in each case. I guess cooking is just the tasty application of science; my wife makes a mind-blowing Pavlova and tells me that the results can be impacted by weather conditions

Call me a Philistine but does anyone else enjoy a fish finger sandwich with red sauce? Don’t have them very often but had one the other day, forgotten how wonderful they are.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Call me a Philistine but does anyone else enjoy a fish finger sandwich with red sauce? Don’t have them very often but had one the other day, forgotten how wonderful they are.
    yes they are great I had one the other day.

I've never had a wife or girlfriend that cooked. My wife is fond of saying "but you love to cook". I do on weekends. But every ****ing day is a chore. My wife says she "can't cook". There's no such thing. You just have to care. She makes pasta, potatoes and rice with no salt! She says she she forgets. Lazy.