+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 20 mph roads

International

Re: 20 mph roads

The post proves it's a Cardiff problem, that's why there has not been an even bigger reaction from the public, just ignore it and let the 17mph plodders know about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Culver Blue View Post
    Non-drivers who stood on Heol Isaf pointing hairdryers! I remember

Aye,I do feel sorry for them though.Now that new housing estate is there it's turned into a busier rat run than it was before.

International

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    Aye,I do feel sorry for them though.Now that new housing estate is there it's turned into a busier rat run than it was before.
    Maybe he should have thought about cars driving passed when he bought the house?

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Maybe he should have thought about cars driving passed when he bought the house?
    Exactly. People who live on main roads then complain about traffic. Like the idiots who buy flats in the city centre then constantly whine about noise from pubs, bars, nightclubs. Surely 'Brewery Quarter' was a give away?

There’s a motorcycle copper, most days outside the Nine Giants, on Thornhill Road !!!!!!

Thought they were taking it easy ??

International

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    There’s a motorcycle copper, most days outside the Nine Giants, on Thornhill Road !!!!!!

People should start a code for when they are there, like nicking an A1- Marshall sign and sticking it on the lampost before either side, to warn motorists he's there, then everyone could drive past at 5mph laughing at him, and ruin the ****'s day.

I drive around Cardiff a lot, and it hasn’t made much difference tbh…..but nobody wants to hear that….sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by G rangetown Blue View Post
    I drive around Cardiff a lot, and it hasn’t made much difference tbh…..but nobody wants to hear that….sorry.
    I thought it was just me

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    I thought it was just me
    im the same although i dont drive around cardiff

International

10mph to 15mph as some tools go slower that's quite a lot, the parts of Cardiff on the earlier trial are affected much more than Grangetown, as JRH has pointed out.

I try and ignore it, but sometimes you can't overtake the car doing less than 20mph, as it's not safe too.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    You vote for donkeys with a red rosette....reap what ye sow........
    I can't stand labour in Wales but there's no better option out there.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post

He got me in January on Nantgarw Hill

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    10mph to 15mph as some tools go slower that's quite a lot, the parts of Cardiff on the earlier trial are affected much more than Grangetown, as JRH has pointed out.

I try and ignore it, but sometimes you can't overtake the car doing less than 20mph, as it's not safe too.
    There were (maybe still are), people who thought it was 20mph on all roads ….we have some proper dullards in Wales unfortunately.

There were (maybe still are), people who thought it was 20mph on all roads ….we have some proper dullards in Wales unfortunately.
    Although there an obvious truth in what you say the opposite is an even greater truth, that is, far more people drive recklessly fast no matter what the speed limit is and most couldn't abide that limit even when it was thirty. I have to admit myself swearing under my breath when I was behind someone doing 28 in a 30 zone when I thought 35 wasn't hurting anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    Although there an obvious truth in what you say the opposite is an even greater truth, that is, far more people drive recklessly fast no matter what the speed limit is and most couldn't abide that limit even when it was thirty. I have to admit myself swearing under my breath when I was behind someone doing 28 in a 30 zone when I thought 35 wasn't hurting anyone.
    There are some roads where 20mph is not required…hopefully local authorities will act accordingly, if enough people make them aware.

There are some roads where 20mph is not required…hopefully local authorities will act accordingly, if enough people make them aware.
    I was quite vocal with my objections to the 20mph speed limits, but months on, it's not been as bad as I feared from a driving perspective. More roads need to be reinstated at 30mph but overall it has had the effect of making people drive a bit more carefully. I agree with everyone who has said about those doing less than 20 are a pain in the arse. I see people driving 20mphish on 40 and 50mph roads, but I've not encountered one of these roads where there have been speed limit signs and 40mph and 50mph limits are obvious. Anyone crawling along in these areas should have their licences removed as they haven't the sense or ability to read. And, no, I'm not saying everyone should drive at 40 or 50mph in these areas as sometimes those speeds aren't appropriate.

I still think the Welsh Government would have been better holding a review of all roads. There are roads which are accident blackspots, but nothing has been done with them. A fully joined-up policy would have been better.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I was quite vocal with my objections to the 20mph speed limits, but months on, it's not been as bad as I feared from a driving perspective. More roads need to be reinstated at 30mph but overall it has had the effect of making people drive a bit more carefully. I agree with everyone who has said about those doing less than 20 are a pain in the arse. I see people driving 20mphish on 40 and 50mph roads, but I've not encountered one of these roads where there have been speed limit signs and 40mph and 50mph limits are obvious. Anyone crawling along in these areas should have their licences removed as they haven't the sense or ability to read. And, no, I'm not saying everyone should drive at 40 or 50mph in these areas as sometimes those speeds aren't appropriate.

I still think the Welsh Government would have been better holding a review of all roads. There are roads which are accident blackspots, but nothing has been done with them. A fully joined-up policy would have been better.
    Tbh I’ve not noticed many doing it, when someone is it’s very noticeable and frustrating (which in itself is annoying as they are doing what they should be)

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    Personally, I think 20mph roads are a good idea in the right areas. It's the ridiculous inconsistencies I don't get.

I have a house on the B4557 in a village near Aberystwyth. The B4577 is intersected by the B4337 in the middle of the village. At the intersection there's a pub, a bus stop, a post office and a kindergarten. Guess the speed limit.
    Too many examples that I could give, but you'd loose the will to live. So just a few.

Two villages locally where the signs are the wrong way around. 30 or 40 when entering the village and 20 when leaving.

An unlit road, that has two cycle lanes, which was 30 has had the signs graffitied by the authorities and is now 60!

The road from Gower into town is 20 MPH for just over a mile from Upper Killay, where I never see pedestrians on the pavement. let alone crossing the road, becomes 30 when it gets to the shops in Killay. Even though shoppers have to dodge the traffic and there is concealed exit from a car park. ETC, ETC, ETC.

To use an old football fan cliche toward the WAG "you don't know what you're doin'!". What must the world think of Wales, when we elected a Marxist tramp to represent us on the world stage. ��

Çan any one who supports the 20 mph speed limit honestly say they have not exceeded the 20 mph limit. I've never had a speeding fine but this 20 mph is so difficult to adhere to.

Quote Originally Posted by ZZ Jack View Post
    To use an old football fan cliche toward the WAG "you don't know what you're doin'!". What must the world think of Wales, when we elected a Marxist tramp to represent us on the world stage. ��
    I completely agree about the inconsistencies with this roll out, but no point blaming the Welsh Government. Local Authorities are responsible for the limits and they've made a crap job of it. I know the WG set the rules but the power to decide whether a road is 20 or 30 or anything lies with local authorities and their interpretations.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfresco View Post
    Çan any one who supports the 20 mph speed limit honestly say they have not exceeded the 20 mph limit. I've never had a speeding fine but this 20 mph is so difficult to adhere to.
    Depending on the road, if there's no traffic in front, I'm more likely to do around 28 than 33 just in case plod is spotted and it's easier to slow down.

The 20mph becomes a real problem when the car in front is doing 15 as they are erring on the side of caution . When there is a 3 mile queue behind them , you know you are not alone in wanting to push them off the road .
    Personally I do about 25 now and try to nip past the really slow drivers.

Page 3 yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Alfresco View Post
    Did you used to adhere to the 30 limit, or did you drive around between 30 and 35?
    If the limit now means that people are driving between 20 and 25 then that's not such a bad thing is it? You won't be penalised unless you're doing at least 26 remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    The 20mph becomes a real problem when the car in front is doing 15 as they are erring on the side of caution . When there is a 3 mile queue behind them , you know you are not alone in wanting to push them off the road .
    Personally I do about 25 now and try to nip past the really slow drivers.

Page 3 yet?
    Don’t get people started on The Sun rag

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Did you used to adhere to the 30 limit, or did you drive around between 30 and 35?
    If the limit now means that people are driving between 20 and 25 then that's not such a bad thing is it? You won't be penalised unless you're doing at least 26 remember.
    Just avoid the speed cameras and you’ll be ok, the police haven’t the time for it. even they know it’s a load of bollocks.
    You’ll be lucky to get up to 30 of most cardiff roads anyway so trudging along around 25-30/ is the best you’ll get anyway. If you feel like going wild there’s always eastern avenue where you can go mental at 50 or even 60 in the evening…..