+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Council tax to rise 6% in Cardiff

Council tax to rise 6% in Cardiff

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...rdiff-28678737

Cardiff council has dropped some of its plans to save money on street cleaning and public bins but council tax will raise more than expected.

International

Re: Council tax to rise 6% in Cardiff

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post

Cardiff council has dropped some of its plans to save money on street cleaning and public bins but council tax will raise more than expected.
    FFS for nothing, they don't even collect the bins now, you have to sort them in stupid bags, next year I expect Cardiff Labour council will want you to deliver it on your bike, but book an appointment first, check the day that they are not on strike and take your driving license which will be obsolete by then

It's capped in England at 4.99%.....Wales seem to go their own way..."Since devolution we have respected the responsibility of local authorities and not used powers to cap council tax,” they added, confirming that no cap will be enforced this year.

I read that in Pembrokeshire it goes sup 16%?!!??

Council tax makes between 10%-15% of overall council funding. How much of an increase in council funding has come from Westminster?

I don't know how people can whinge about this after 14 years of voting for austerity and cuts to public services, what do you actually expect?

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    It's capped in England at 4.99%.....Wales seem to go their own way..."Since devolution we have respected the responsibility of local authorities and not used powers to cap council tax,” they added, confirming that no cap will be enforced this year.

Councils in England that have issued section 114 notices (I think only 8 so far, but over a hundred believe they may have to in the next year or two) have been given permission to raise Council Tax by up to 10%.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-68278744

Interesting that for the whole of the UK the most expensive Band D council tax bill will be in Rutland; the cheapest in Westminster!

International

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-68278744

Interesting that for the whole of the UK the most expensive Band D council tax bill will be in Rutland; the cheapest in Westminster!
    Pembroke 16.3%, how difficult is it for young people living there!!!!

And the 2nd home owners, isn't it triple this year?

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Pembroke 16.3%, how difficult is it for young people living there!!!!

And the 2nd home owners, isn't it triple this year?
    From the same article Pembrokeshire has one of the biggest projected budget shortfalls in Wales.

No idea how the Council Tax levels have changed over time, but I would guess that there is more of an elderly/retirement population there than in many other areas? Not likely to be league leaders on business rates either?

As Councils have had to drop almost all of their discretionary spending since the Age of Austerity began in 2010 and focus only on their statutory responsibilities (mainly adult social care and emergency homeless housing - both going skywards as the revenue shrinks) - most of it funded by a property tax based on 1991 valuations - they will all be heading for the maximum allowed Council Tax rises just to meet their statutory obligations. And still many of them will fail, issue section 114 and sell any remaining assets to survive a bit longer.

There is a UK crisis in local authority funding. That is true in all parts of the UK, and even if devolved governments have more theoretical flexibility in policy making, the same pressures and constraints apply to all.

And no solutions coming from the UK government.

The average Band D Council Tax in Wales is 91% of the average Band D Council Tax in England.

International

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    From the same article Pembrokeshire has one of the biggest projected budget shortfalls in Wales.

No idea how the Council Tax levels have changed over time, but I would guess that there is more of an elderly/retirement population there than in many other areas? Not likely to be league leaders on business rates either?

As Councils have had to drop almost all of their discretionary spending since the Age of Austerity began in 2010 and focus only on their statutory responsibilities (mainly adult social care and emergency homeless housing - both going skywards as the revenue shrinks) - most of it funded by a property tax based on 1991 valuations - they will all be heading for the maximum allowed Council Tax rises just to meet their statutory obligations. And still many of them will fail, issue section 114 and sell any remaining assets to survive a bit longer.

There is a UK crisis in local authority funding. That is true in all parts of the UK, and even if devolved governments have more theoretical flexibility in policy making, the same pressures and constraints apply to all.

And no solutions coming from the UK government.

The average Band D Council Tax in Wales is 91% of the average Band D Council Tax in England.
    Well they are not going to be leaders on business rates if the Welsh government tried to discourage English tourists and slowed the roads down and are trying to bring in local tourist taxes and get welsh farmers to give up profitable land for trees to be greener than England.

It's history repeating itself like Cardiff airport dying while Bristol airport is growing the same is happening to the whole country's economy.

Well they are not going to be leaders on business rates if the Welsh government tried to discourage English tourists and slowed the roads down and are trying to bring in local tourist taxes and get welsh farmers to give up profitable land for trees to be greener than England.

It's history repeating itself like Cardiff airport dying while Bristol airport is growing the same is happening to the whole country's economy.
    I've posted this before, and sorry to repeat myself, I'm going to do so again.

It seems that lots of people blame our dying town centres on high business rates. They also moan when council taxes go up. They also moan when services get cut because they only see their taxes increasing while being blissfully unaware of what councils are legally obliged to spend money on and how they get revenue from different sources.

Most days I'll see someone complain about potholes on social media. The same people moan about rises in council tax. They want to fork out less for better services, or they want to fork out less because they don't use some services. They are often the same people who think they should get to the front of the queue in the NHS because they've paid into it for so long.

As for 20mph, I see no evidence of that affecting our town centres in terms of footfall. One of the biggest problems that affects footfall in our towns is rising cost of living and less disposable income.

You might notice that I've not mentioned any political parties here, mainly because I see that as almost irrelevant to this issue.

Somewhere the model is flawed...and not making any political points here....but I really do think that Margaret Thatchers 'Poll Tax' was a much better way to collect local taxes.....paid according to the number of people in the household (and hence who uses more services), rather than the property valuation....even if a single person lived there.

Out of interest....here in the Dordogne, my equivalent tax is about €2500 a year (around £2140)....and at the moment I have a large house. However, because my income is solely from pensions (state and private) and fall below a certain level, because I am over 75 I am exempt from this tax. I DO however still have to pay €850 - which they say is the cost of refuse for a household of 2 adults/2 children - which to me is too high.

Next year this will largely disappear - as we are in a rural area there is no doorstep bin collection - we take our rubbish to local deposit points (usually once a week on the way to shopping). From next year these deposit points will be free for recycling waste, but with a charge of €1 per opening of the bin to throw away landfill items (the bin will be opened by a magnetic key issued to all households), with a minimum charge of (I think it is) €125.

Just a different way of doing things - and we don't have to separate every type of item to recycle (apart from glass).

Somewhere the model is flawed...and not making any political points here....but I really do think that Margaret Thatchers 'Poll Tax' was a much better way to collect local taxes.....paid according to the number of people in the household (and hence who uses more services), rather than the property valuation....even if a single person lived there.
    Of course it wasn't. Who knows how much people use certain services? It isn't all just about bins. It was a measure to make well off people contribute less.

Out of interest....here in the Dordogne, my equivalent tax is about €2500 a year (around £2140)....and at the moment I have a large house. However, because my income is solely from pensions (state and private) and fall below a certain level, because I am over 75 I am exempt from this tax. I DO however still have to pay €850 - which they say is the cost of refuse for a household of 2 adults/2 children - which to me is too high.

Next year this will largely disappear - as we are in a rural area there is no doorstep bin collection - we take our rubbish to local deposit points (usually once a week on the way to shopping). From next year these deposit points will be free for recycling waste, but with a charge of €1 per opening of the bin to throw away landfill items (the bin will be opened by a magnetic key issued to all households), with a minimum charge of (I think it is) €125.

Just a different way of doing things - and we don't have to separate every type of item to recycle (apart from glass).
    The poll tax was a very unfair system, the one good thing that came out of it was its contribution to that woman’s demise.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Of course it wasn't. Who knows how much people use certain services? It isn't all just about bins. It was a measure to make well off people contribute less.
    No some families of six adults in a 3 bedroom in Butuetown could earn 15 times more than a little old pensioner in a 5 Bedroom house in Lisvane. Your house value has feck all to do with what you earn or what services you use, or what you can afford to pay it's stupid.

Probably a combination of both would give the fairest outcome.

No some families of six adults in a 3 bedroom in Butuetown could earn 15 times more than a little old pensioner in a 5 Bedroom house in Lisvane. Your house value has feck all to do with what you earn or what services you use, or what you can afford to pay it's stupid.

Put the Maggie photo down and wash your hands you grotty little man.

Should swap houses then, now that would be a fair system

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    ...sounds a bit like the Bolshevik Revolution ..the peasants commandeering the large properties....

Pisstake

Pembrokeshire are just doing that to annoy the second home owners even more, maybe they will all sell up and barely anyone will be able to stay there anymore, just how they want it out west.

...sounds a bit like the Bolshevik Revolution ..the peasants commandeering the large properties....
    Not keen on peasants, are you Mo? Bloody spongers eh!

International

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Put the Maggie photo down and wash your hands you grotty little man.
    Ha ha give your Scargill jazz mag a break

International

It's not me, three still earning in our house and I'm not a fogie yet

No some families of six adults in a 3 bedroom in Butetown could earn 15 times more than a little old pensioner in a 5 Bedroom house in Lisvane.
    Of course, we know what you're implying here.

The poll tax was a very unfair system, the one good thing that came out of it was its contribution to that woman’s demise.
    At 18, back in 1990, i was on £50 per week learning my trade. Thatcher wanted £380 a year from me in poll tax, that was the bet part of 2 months wages. And Mo the Tory idiot thinks it was fair. That bloke needs to give his head a wobble.