+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Council tax to rise 6% in Cardiff

Re: Council tax to rise 6% in Cardiff

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Of course, we know what you're implying here.
    Yup. I'm down there at least once a week, i'll pick him up and he can come with me and i'll show him the reality. He knows absolutely shit.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Of course, we know what you're implying here.
    Or any area, there was no implication whatsoever from my mind, the point was cheaper band v's high band, that's your mind, not mine, it didn't even enter my head, that's what you are now implying.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Yup. I'm down there at least once a week, i'll pick him up and he can come with me and i'll show him the reality. He knows absolutely shit.
    I pass through regularly, there was no implication towards the people of Butetown whatsoever, my Mum and Dad grew up in the old Docks and my Nan got moved to the flats in Bute Street when her house was knocked down, my other Nan lived near the back of the Central Station. I still know fine people from there, it was purely for council tax comparison.

At 18, back in 1990, i was on £50 per week learning my trade. Thatcher wanted £380 a year from me in poll tax, that was the bet part of 2 months wages. And Mo the Tory idiot thinks it was fair. That bloke needs to give his head a wobble.
    Aye, some show their true colours on here. That woman’s disciples, treat those less fortunate as the shit on their shoe.

At 18, back in 1990, i was on £50 per week learning my trade. Thatcher wanted £380 a year from me in poll tax, that was the bet part of 2 months wages. And Mo the Tory idiot thinks it was fair. That bloke needs to give his head a wobble.
    ...so that was about 14% of your salary.....mean average per household for Council Tax is around 10%....but that can cover x people......and THAT is why there is a lack of funding. People should pay individually.

The 20 council areas with the lowest average earnings in the UK all charged over 8 per cent of the median salary in council tax. Relative to both house prices and median pay, the four lowest charging councils were all in London. (my bold)...do you think THAT is fair? of course it isn't - if they were charged individually it would be more even.

International

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Aye, some show their true colours on here. That woman’s disciples, treat those less fortunate as the shit on their shoe.
    She did a lot of bad no one should try and deny that, the mines especially were terrible for Welsh communities, and how it was conducted with the police was disgusting and should never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    She did a lot of bad no one should try and deny that, the mines especially were terrible for Welsh communities, and how it was conducted with the police was disgusting and should never be forgotten.
    She also did a lot of good....and don't forget that Harold Wilson closed more coal mines than her government did....

International

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    She also did a lot of good....and don't forget that Harold Wilson closed more coal mines than her government did....
    She did but you need to have a balanced view, if a leader or party does some things good that's fine, but don't try and defend them when they make mistakes or affect you or your area in a bad way.

She closed them because she wanted to decimate any control the working classes had over bosses and the Government. Like working conditions, pay, all that stuff. A lot of the things you moan about in society (These days) are a direct result of policy implemented by Thatcher and successive Tory Governments. It doesn't 'Just Happen'. And that isn't a plug for Labour either, who have been shambolic and have given in to right wing populism over the past 30 years.

She did no good whatsoever, she was a warmonger, she revelled in the Falklands conflict, whipping idiots up into a patriotic frenzy. Then turned on the working man. A horrible person who destroyed lives, communities and a whole way of life to line the pockets of the few. It was a horrible time to be a run of the mill worker in those dark days.

I hated her with a passion and that hate will never go away. A horrible, uncaring shithouse.

Well...each to their own...we all have differing views on history.

Seems a good a time as any to promote my 'Thatchers Still Dead' Pub crawl on Saturday April 6th.

Venue: Merthyr Tydfil

Any takers?

She did no good whatsoever, she was a warmonger, she revelled in the Falklands conflict, whipping idiots up into a patriotic frenzy. Then turned on the working man. A horrible person who destroyed lives, communities and a whole way of life to line the pockets of the few. It was a horrible time to be a run of the mill worker in those dark days.

I hated her with a passion and that hate will never go away. A horrible, uncaring shithouse.
    Interesting, a warmonger? What do you think of Tony Bliar then?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Blair is a war criminal in my opinion.

Blair is a war criminal in my opinion.
    We rarely seem to get a decent prime minister do we?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Another Tory twat! That woman went to war against her own people though, the recent Miners Strike documentary, Orgreave dear me!!

Arguing over two cheeks of the same areshole, this place doesn't change I hate them all

Quote Originally Posted by Heathblue View Post
    Arguing over two cheeks of the same areshole, this place doesn't change I hate them all
    Arguing the merits between Blair and Thatcher is a pretty legitimate discussion to have. she would have been very proud of him

Arguing the merits between Blair and Thatcher is a pretty legitimate discussion to have. she would have been very proud of him
    She was very proud:

In 2002, twelve years after Margaret Thatcher left office, she was asked at a dinner what was her greatest achievement. Thatcher replied: “Tony Blair and New Labour...."

https://economicsociology.org/2018/0...t-achievement/

Let’s not forget either that it was a decision by the incoming Government to cut down on the military presence in the Falklands which, effectively, gave Argentina the green light to invade.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2011/...cuts-falklands

Public sector is absolutely f****d since Covid.

It was inefficient before. It is on another scale now.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Let’s not forget either that it was a decision by the incoming Government to cut down on the military presence in the Falklands which, effectively, gave Argentina the green light to invade.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2011/...cuts-falklands
    A far right govt invaded British territory and you lot still manage to blame Thatcher 🤣

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Public sector is absolutely f****d since Covid.

It was inefficient before. It is on another scale now.
    Inefficient?

Is that code for hollowed out, destroyed by the Cult of Austerity, underfunded or not funded, left with core statutory responsibilities but without the money to pay for them, overwhelmed by rising demand, subjected to inadequate and incoherent direction from central government, and (and final nail in the coffin) abused by a Tory fan-boy on CCMB.

Dark days!

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Inefficient?

Is that code for hollowed out, destroyed by the Cult of Austerity, underfunded or not funded, left with core statutory responsibilities but without the money to pay for them, overwhelmed by rising demand, subjected to inadequate and incoherent direction from central government, and (and final nail in the coffin) abused by a Tory fan-boy on CCMB.

Dark days!
    No, it's to do with poor working practices, silo cultures, WFH, dreadful guidance and communication, poor decision making etc etc.

Money issues don't help one bit. But there is never enough money, the US military would say they are underfunded so this is more an issue with the culture.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    No, it's to do with poor working practices, silo cultures, WFH, dreadful guidance and communication, poor decision making etc etc.

Money issues don't help one bit. But there is never enough money, the US military would say they are underfunded so this is more an issue with the culture.
    There are many cultures in the public sector (as there are in the private sector).

I am out of it now, but when I was working (mostly public sector - but started in the private) I was exposed to Councils, Fire & Rescue, the police and parts of the NHS. There were pockets of excellence - both culture and performance. There were areas or services with poor leadership (or no leadership). There were places where funding and incoherent political direction was the main problem. There were many areas (especially in Council services) where decades of expertise and knowledge were discarded within a year (thanks George Osbourne).

My Council experience (from 1986 to 2014) moved from 'professional but paternalistic', through high performing, motivated and inclusive (staff and service users), to gutted and demoralised - which is where we still are as a country!