Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
I remember noticing how much of the UK's budget was spent on welfare a few years ago. Rather than just make up where that money was spent, I decided to look it up. Quite often, when someone quotes something they regard as "fact", I'll check it out. Usually they're wrong. Immigration numbers was another. When that is broken down, the number of "illegals" (as some incorrectly call them) is pretty low, but people believe there are loads of them coming over.

People should try and be a bit more educated in their opinions. It doesn't help that all political parties don't give you the full picture, just what suits their agenda. Divide and conquer.

As for your bit about being in control of your money as you see fit, that's basically you saying that you hate the thought of feckless wasters having any of it. Now, we could destroy that argument in moments, but when you're opinions are as ingrained as they are, there's little point.
Not one to shy away from admitting when they're wrong, I had breakfast with my cousin Friday and mentioned this very subject and he absolutely schooled me and set me right on a load of figures and a bit more detail about what falls under the Welfare umbrella.
One thing he did agree with me on though, was wanting to have more control on where/how your money is spent.