+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Our home wins this season

Our home wins this season

I wasn't there today, but a win is a win at the moment. Apparently we played pretty well in the first half, which is, to me, more encouraging than the 3 points, but I hope the win gives a bit more confidence and we can start to find the standards we set at the start of the season. It must be said that alarm bells would really have been sounding if we'd have lost.

However, it's perhaps worth noting the current league positions of the teams we've beaten at home this season:

9th
    12th
    17th
    20th
    22nd
    23rd
    24th

We also have 2 points from the 4 games against the sides currently 15th, 16th, 18th and 21st.

Of all the teams below us, we only have Huddersfield to face at home, which happens to be our next home game. After that, 4 of our remaining 5 home games are against teams from the top half, 3 currently in the playoffs, then Boro. It would be a much bigger morale booster if we could get something against the likes of Ipswich or Southampton. After Huddersfield, I think any home points will be a bonus.

Re: Our home wins this season

By my reckoning we have beaten away from home
    Birmingham
    Sunderland
    Huddersfield
    PNE
    Sheff Wed
    QPR
    Watford

Can Eric dig up the stats on these teams positions at the time. May look slightly better reading than our home wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    By my reckoning we have beaten away from home
    Birmingham
    Sunderland
    Huddersfield
    PNE
    Sheff Wed
    QPR
    Watford

Can Eric dig up the stats on these teams positions at the time. May look slightly better reading than our home wins.
    We won at Birmingham in the cup.

In terms of average league placing, these are our stats:

Home wins
    Current league positions: 18.1
    Positions at the time: 19.1

Away wins
    Current league positions: 15.3
    Positions at the time: 13.7

Our away wins at Sunderland and Preston were against sides in the top 6 at the time. Our win at Watford was the only other time we've beaten a top half side all season.

10 of our 13 wins overall have been against sides in the bottom half. Half of those were against teams who were in the bottom 3.

Funny as under Dave Jones which I think most people would agree was our best football of recent times (and I’m sure you will correct me) it alway felt like we struggled at the lower league clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Funny as under Dave Jones which I think most people would agree was our best football of recent times (and I’m sure you will correct me) it alway felt like we struggled at the lower league clubs.
    It might have been our cup final season (don't quote me on it), but there was one season with Jones where we had one of the worst records in the division against teams in the bottom 6. There used to be an excellent stats site on bet365 (I think ITV borrowed from it as well) but it has long gone.

I know it wasn't a Dave Jones season, but I'll never forget us having a 100% home record in our promotion season under Malky, then Peterborough, bottom of the league, came to visit and beat us.

On the basis of the excellent stats provided by Eric we can hope for good results at:
    Bristol
    Swansea
    Millwall
    Rotherham

And home wins v

Huddersfield
    Sunderland

While 18pts from those games may be a tad optimistic, on this season’s form we should get enough points to comfortably breach the 50pts mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    On the basis of the excellent stats provided by Eric we can hope for good results at:
    Bristol
    Swansea
    Millwall
    Rotherham

And home wins v

Huddersfield
    Sunderland

While 18pts from those games may be a tad optimistic, on this season’s form we should get enough points to comfortably breach the 50pts mark.
    I think a home win against Huddersfield is very possible. If we beat Sunderland at home it'll be the first time we've beaten a top half side at home. Boro might be a better opportunity.

It should be added that our win at Watford is our only away win against a team not in the relegation places in 8 away trips, so Rotherham should be straightforward. Millwall are in dire form, hope they don't pick up. As for Bristol and Swansea, draws would be a good result.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I wasn't there today, but a win is a win at the moment. Apparently we played pretty well in the first half, which is, to me, more encouraging than the 3 points, but I hope the win gives a bit more confidence and we can start to find the standards we set at the start of the season. It must be said that alarm bells would really have been sounding if we'd have lost.

However, it's perhaps worth noting the current league positions of the teams we've beaten at home this season:

9th
    12th
    17th
    20th
    22nd
    23rd
    24th

We also have 2 points from the 4 games against the sides currently 15th, 16th, 18th and 21st.

Of all the teams below us, we only have Huddersfield to face at home, which happens to be our next home game. After that, 4 of our remaining 5 home games are against teams from the top half, 3 currently in the playoffs, then Boro. It would be a much bigger morale booster if we could get something against the likes of Ipswich or Southampton. After Huddersfield, I think any home points will be a bonus.
    Posted before that we played all the top half times early in the season away and the bottom teams at home, the results are as expected.