Quote Originally Posted by pipster View Post
The flip side to that is - your Dad could have bought and the money that went to the council could have been used to build another flat somewhere else. Building costs havent gone up as much as the property cost - so they could have even been able to build 2 flats.
Until the population flattens out - we are going to have the same problem. UK population before Blair was around 60 million - it's now around 68-70 million depending on you you listen to.
Going back to Raynor - she is a fecking hypocrit, rides on the bandwagon of "Im one of you" when in reality she wants to be as far away from that as possible - until it comes to an election.

ps - did someone mention her boob job being done in a private hospital ?
I think you probably need to pick a lane here. Either you support right to buy and therefore support Rayner or you don't support right to buy and therefore don't support Rayner. You can't pick and choose when you think it's good based solely on who did it, otherwise you are exactly what you are accusing her of being.

For the avoidance of doubt, I'm not against the concept of right to buy, but the discounts on offer made no mathematical sense and also the money should be ring-fenced for house building to replace the stock.

It's noticeable that now that the private rental sector has grown massively (partly due to rtb) the conservatives are not in favour of an equivalent rtb scheme for those renters.

This policy ended up not being about home ownership, but about buying some votes in the short term and in the end, getting public housing stock into the hands of wealthy landlords. Either Thatcher was cynical or dumb, I was a mere boy back then so I will let others decide.