+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Time to scrap the EFL Cup?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Time to scrap the EFL Cup?

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    I don’t see why? If it was exclusively a closed competition between the big 6 at the latter stages I could see an argument for it (although I wouldn’t agree with it) but it isn’t.

In the last 5 tournaments Fulham, Boro, Forest, Leicester, Brentford and Southampton all made the semis and Newcastle and Villa were both finalists.
    Fair enough, but I can't really see any benefits for a club like ours to take it seriously. If Championship sides (even lower division teams) can't be bothered until one gets to the latter stages, is there a point to it?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Fair enough, but I can't really see any benefits for a club like ours to take it seriously. If Championship sides (even lower division teams) can't be bothered until one gets to the latter stages, is there a point to it?
    It was our last major final. We came within a penalty kick of winning our first senior cup in close to a century. I'm disappointed every year when we get knocked of the FA Cup and the League Cup.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    It was our last major final. We came within a penalty kick of winning our first senior cup in close to a century. I'm disappointed every year when we get knocked of the FA Cup and the League Cup.
    Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Other than the fact the competition gave us one of our greatest moments in living memory?

PL clubs dont want it yet the competition has been dominated by Liverpool, City, United and Chelsea in the last 20 years, which is about as long as ive been hearing calls for it be scrapped, or for the clubs in Europe to be allowed not enter.etc.etc.

Scrapping replays was a good idea and also extra time in the early rounds, but its still got a place IMO.