+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Energy Provider ?

International

Re: Energy Provider ?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    The problem is that with 6 months of the year needing more heating and light a reasonable usage is bumped up

The estimate I was given was 12 x the 120 I use in the winter

So it was taking the piss and several hundred over my actual usage which in the mild months of November and February was very close to spring and summer amounts

I wasn't having that dave
    If you are paying too much and build up a credit you can reduce the DD at next review, it's as broad as it's long, as long as it's cheaper in the end.

Bump….

So my flexible octopus is coming in roughly the same as their loyal fixed, and with prices set to fall in July again I might just stay on my flexible tariff for now. You can guarantee it will rise next October so I might wait until the summer to fix a deal to get through next winter. I’m sure Putin will do something to make it a bit more expensive too……

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    So my flexible octopus is coming in roughly the same as their loyal fixed, and with prices set to fall in July again I might just stay on my flexible tariff for now. You can guarantee it will rise next October so I might wait until the summer to fix a deal to get through next winter. I’m sure Putin will do something to make it a bit more expensive too……
    I switched to octopus, same sort of price as eon but easy to deal with

Eon were incompetent

This site is known to be one of the most accurate energy price forecasters
    https://www.cornwall-insight.com/pre...asts-for-2024/

According to Martin Lewis the best fix is currently the EDF 1 year version. I’ve just switched to it from the standard variable tariff from the same provider.

Another vote for Octopus from me. I was with Bulb & when they went bump Octopus took over the account. Their website is very good as is their communication.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I use Octopus. Haven't got a smart meter so just submit my readings online each month. A day or so later they email me my bill. Easy enough to understand in that I can see how much each month how much of a rip off the Standing charges are.
    The standing charges are ridiculous (I’m with Octopus)….over 60p per DAY !…. WTF.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    What’s the reason? Like I said I have a new build so we didn’t have a choice but I find them great.
    Lots of nonsense spouted about smart meters, usually by people who haven’t got a clue about them! They are very good at providing accurate bills, and (contrary to what some tin hatters think), do not impact in any way on your privacy.

Quote Originally Posted by G rangetown Blue View Post
    Lots of nonsense spouted about smart meters, usually by people who haven’t got a clue about them! They are very good at providing accurate bills, and (contrary to what some tin hatters think), do not impact in any way on your privacy.
    Oh dear.

I’m with Octopus and find them amazing, I would happily pay a little more rather than change. The fact you can actually email them and they respond rather than calling someone like BT and being on hold for an hour before actually getting to speak to someone.

The Bills seem very simple and it shows the DD going out to compare. I do have a smart meter but I know you can submit meter readings very easily on the app.
    I'm with Octopus and I agree they are generally very good.
    The only negative from my perspective was their energy predictor which they were pushing last Autumn. It doesn’t take in individual circumstances and if I had followed their ‘recommendation’ to increase my DD to the levels they suggested then I would have overpaid by £100’s.
    I would have eventually got the money back I don’t believe in lending energy companies large amounts of money at 0% interest!

I have had a smart meter for about 4 years now. I have never had a problem with them and as you said they provide accurate billing and I have definately saved a lot of money over that time

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lung View Post
    Oh dear.
    Oh dear what ? …..You know something none of us know?

International

https://share.octopus.energy/loved-coral-950

I think you can use the link here, they should do it all for you. It says if anyone uses the link we share £100. Don’t feel you need to tho I was just finding a link and it came up. There website should point you in the right direction.

I'm using your link, it says it will give you £50

Thanks it's useful

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    I'm using your link, it says it will give you £50

Thanks it's useful
    I just had an email and thought who is that haha.

Thanks for using the link :)

International

I just had an email and thought who is that haha.

Thanks for using the link :)
    Nice one, I signed up flexible for now, are they still doing that tracker account, I can switch to that at a later date if they still do.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Nice one, I signed up flexible for now, are they still doing that tracker account, I can switch to that at a later date if they still do.
    I’m not sure, I’m still on the flexible as well.

I emailed Octopus, and now they’ve put me on a “loyal customer tariff” ….£120 / month less ! **I chose the variable opinion.

International

I emailed Octopus, and now they’ve put me on a “loyal customer tariff” ….£120 / month less ! **I chose the variable opinion.
    I'm going to switch from Variable to Octopus Tracker April 2024 v1 the unit costs are much cheaper and Martin Lewis has done extensive research says don't get any fixed rate deals.

Brittish Gas have just rung me to retain and offered their best fixed rate similar to Octopus and £175 credit to stop my switch, but I think I'll still proceed and switch to the Tracker.

Electricity
    Unit rate:
    16.32 p/kWh
    Standing charge:
    61.19 p/day
    Gas
    Unit rate:
    4.32 p/kWh
    Standing charge:
    27.47 p/day
    Description
    Tracker gives you the most transparent energy pricing in the UK. Every day, we update the price of your energy based on an independently published wholesale market price. The unit rate is capped at 100p/kWh for electricity and 30p/kWh for gas (including VAT).

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ut...ntly-worth-it/

The Octopus Tracker tariff – prices change daily based on wholesale rates

It's available to existing Octopus customers (though others can just switch first to its standard tariff, then to this) as a dual-fuel, electricity-only or gas-only tariff.

Rates change daily depending on wholesale costs (and where you live), which makes it more of a gamble, but over recent months it would've very substantially undercut the Price Cap.

If it does start to get expensive, you can just switch back to its price-capped standard tariff (though it may take two weeks and you can't go back to the Tracker for nine months). Plus you'll need to get a smart meter if you don't already have one.

While rates are cheaper right now, they can spike suddenly if wholesale costs rise
    How much one week's energy would cost
    Octopus has recently changed how it calculates unit rates for this tariff

Quote Originally Posted by bluesp View Post
    According to Martin Lewis the best fix is currently the EDF 1 year version. I’ve just switched to it from the standard variable tariff from the same provider.
    Same here.

The standing charges are ridiculous (I’m with Octopus)….over 60p per DAY !…. WTF.
    It went up to 90p a day last week. Just switched to Utilita on a no standing charge accunt. It is good for me as I don't use much energy.

Quote Originally Posted by NinianKnight View Post
    It went up to 90p a day last week. Just switched to Utilita on a no standing charge accunt. It is good for me as I don't use much energy.
    There’s a Cardiff City pun there, somewhere