+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cardiff City Goals - Jason Fowler - Football Genius

Cardiff City Goals - Jason Fowler - Football Genius

Another player, along with Carl Dale, who brightened up our otherwise grim days in the basement was Jason Fowler. Two of my personal favourites were his away goal at Exeter in September 1997 in a 1-1 when ex City player Steve Flack scored their equalizer in the last minute and his awesome goal in the 4-1 v Brentford at home in January (I think?) 1999.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l81tSiNO9fc

Re: Cardiff City Goals - Jason Fowler - Football Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    Another player, along with Carl Dale, who brightened up our otherwise grim days in the basement was Jason Fowler. Two of my personal favourites were his away goal at Exeter in September 1997 in a 1-1 when ex City player Steve Flack scored their equalizer in the last minute and his awesome goal in the 4-1 v Brentford at home in January (I think?) 1999.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l81tSiNO9fc
    Yep Brentford

Sublime chip

He was our witts in those days

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Yep Brentford

Sublime chip

He was our witts in those days
    Good comparison Sludgey!

Good comparison Sludgey!
    An oasis in a desert of dirge

Sounds like a metal lyric

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    An oasis in a desert of dirge

Sounds like a metal lyric
    From Anvil, while Lips plays his geetar with a dildo ?

St David's Hall

Motor head 0 Anvil 1

His dildo driven guitar solos are widely available on you tube but it's a side of heavy metal best left to fade away

I was right behind that chip, it was perfect. Definitely one of my top 3 City goals.

He was coaching in our academy some years back. Not sure if he's still there.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    I was right behind that chip, it was perfect. Definitely one of my top 3 City goals.
    Two of my favourite all-time City goals were scored that season. Fowler's sublime chip v Brentford, and Mark Delany running from our own half with the ball, beating a number of Chester players and burying the ball in the back of their net, as we beat them 6-0. Don't think in my 55 years of supporting the club I have seen a City player receive the ball in their own half and go on to score without passing to a teammate. Maybe somebody will prove me wrong here?

Two of my favourite all-time City goals were scored that season. Fowler's sublime chip v Brentford, and Mark Delany running from our own half with the ball, beating a number of Chester players and burying the ball in the back of their net, as we beat them 6-0. Don't think in my 55 years of supporting the club I have seen a City player receive the ball in their own half and go on to score without passing to a teammate. Maybe somebody will prove me wrong here?
    Mark Hudson? Will Vaulks? I know I'm cheating bit there Was Whitts in his own half when he received the ball for his goal in the FA Cup against Wolves? I don't think he was.

Until Mark Delaney arrived on the scene, there were a few years when Fowler was the only City player capable of doing things with the ball which would not be out of place in the Premier League.

Speaking as someone who doesn't tend to notice such things, there's some nice City shirts in that video.

Gabbidon vs Wrexham, he picks it up just before the halfway line

At 3 minutes in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sERZ1IGDHU

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Mark Hudson? Will Vaulks? I know I'm cheating bit there Was Whitts in his own half when he received the ball for his goal in the FA Cup against Wolves? I don't think he was.

Until Mark Delaney arrived on the scene, there were a few years when Fowler was the only City player capable of doing things with the ball which would not be out of place in the Premier League.

Speaking as someone who doesn't tend to notice such things, there's some nice City shirts in that video.
    Definitely cheating there Bob. I cannot recall either Hudson or Vaulks receiving the ball in hour half, skipping past opposition players, and then planting the ball firmly in the net

As Sludgey mentioned above, Fowler was our lower league answer to Whitts for a few seasons. Yep, some lovely shirts on show there, a you rightly state.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Gabbidon vs Wrexham, he picks it up just before the halfway line

At 3 minutes in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sERZ1IGDHU
    I'd forgotten all about that game, and the wonder goal from Gabbs. Some of my favourite all-time City players in that clip, Gabbs, Thorney, Kav and Leggy. If I remember rightly, we hung on for the last ten minutes and Fatty Trundle, he of the helium like voice, should have scored an equaliser, right at the end.

He wasnt even the best Jason who played for us around that time.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    He wasnt even the best Jason who played for us around that time.
    Around about 1997 he was

Around about 1997 he was
    I think he was the only Jason that played for City around that time. I guess a few of the 'Johnny come lately' supporters didn't see Fowler in all his glory, sadly.

I think he was the only Jason that played for City around that time. I guess a few of the 'Johnny come lately' supporters didn't see Fowler in all his glory, sadly.
    Think he might have meant Jason Bowen.

Think he might have meant Jason Bowen.
    Fowler and Bowen were both good footballers in their day (for us!), and enjoyable to watch. Not too sure they would have played many games in the same team together?

Fowler and Bowen were both good footballers in their day (for us!), and enjoyable to watch. Not too sure they would have played many games in the same team together?
    They played 3 season together and were both part of the same team that won promotion from the dungeon in 99 and 2001, although Fowler didn’t feature much in 2000/2001 season when Sam took over. He was injured or Ill a lot towards the end of his time here and the club were going on to bigger and better things.

Around about 1997 he was
    96/97 he was arguably our best player and he was excellent in the 98/99 promotion season too.

Bowen joined Leggy from Reading in the second half of that 98/99 season and got some important goals to get us over the line.

96/97 he was arguably our best player and he was excellent in the 98/99 promotion season too.

Bowen joined Leggy from Reading in the second half of that 98/99 season and got some important goals to get us over the line.
    Jason Bowen was a quality player, played with his head up, as did Fowler, that's a rare and difficult trait. Bowen should have played at a much higher level than he did. So laid back.

Cian Ashford scored one for our under-21s at Bristol City recently. Good luck to him doing this at first team level but it's a great goal all the same. It's at around 3.05 on here.

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/video/highlig...ity-under-21s/

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Jason Bowen was a quality player, played with his head up, as did Fowler, that's a rare and difficult trait. Bowen should have played at a much higher level than he did. So laid back.
    Agreed.

Fowler had ability but I think he lacked the pace and energy to play further up the leagues.

Agreed.

Fowler had ability but I think he lacked the pace and energy to play further up the leagues.
    And quickness. I don't think that people appreciate how quickly things happen with good players. It's their thinking that is better.