+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PM rails against 'extremist forces trying to tear us apart'

Re: PM rails against 'extremist forces trying to tear us apart'

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Although I do think that Tories and Labour should have been more graceful in defeat whilst making their valid criticism of intimidation etc, it does often feel that you reset history at midnight every night!

Barely a day passes without something being the greatest outrage of your life! 🤣
    Maybe it's the first time I've ever agreed with you. Yes everyone is feeling outraged at the state of British politics and it seems it all started 14 years ago.

Mind you, in your case you were born outraged 😂

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    In the words of that great pschologist, George Galloway: 'Two cheeks of the same arse'.
    George Galloway IS a great orator and he would wipe the floor with both of the tossers leading the two main parties. "Two cheeks of the same arse" is a clever and accurate summing up of the dire state of our politics now.

By the way John Crave is up there with the best. I get the impression some on this board are Richard Littlejohn accolytes.

In the words of that great pschologist, George Galloway: 'Two cheeks of the same arse'.
    Galloway has used that quote many times it’s part of his political stand up routine

A tenth child in a Gaza hospital has been registered as having died from starvation, said the UN on Friday, warning that the “real figure is likely to be higher”. “The official records yesterday or this morning said there was a tenth child officially registered in a hospital as having starved to death,” said UN health agency spokesperson Christian Lindmeier. “A very sad threshold …[but] the unofficial numbers can unfortunately be expected to be higher,” he added.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/li...s-updates-live

Are the extremists the hundreds of thousands who march to end this - or are they the perpetrators and the enablers (yes you Sunak and Starmer)?

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    Or loopy Liz Truss
    Honourable mention to Suella Braverman for raising the hordes of Yaxley Lennon fanboys last November.

She certainly has, meanwhile Starmer talks as if he would have been willing to stand in support alongside Sunak when he was delivering the speech if he’d been asked.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    She certainly has, meanwhile Starmer talks as if he would have been willing to stand in support alongside Sunak when he was delivering the speech if he’d been asked.
    He's a man without principles nakedly on the hunt for votes. The Tories on here can breathe a sigh of relief should his party attain power

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Maybe it's the first time I've ever agreed with you. Yes everyone is feeling outraged at the state of British politics and it seems it all started 14 years ago.

Mind you, in your case you were born outraged 😂
    Do you really think it only started 14 years ago?

I have had an interest in politics since 1964 and to my mind it has been going downhill ever since.

The internet has only exacerbated the situation

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Do you really think it only started 14 years ago?

I have had an interest in politics since 1964 and to my mind it has been going downhill ever since.

The internet has only exacerbated the situation
    Team Red, Blue, Yellow, and Green vetting all candidates at central office level has played a big part in the HOC being filled with nodding donkeys.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ernment-israel

(extract)

The PSC has organised and mobilised demonstrations to pressure politicians to call for an immediate ceasefire. We have also sought to help people understand how this violence is rooted in Israel’s decades-long military occupation, and its imposition of a system of oppression now accepted by leading human rights organisations including Amnesty International as meeting the legal definition of apartheid. Since 1982, PSC has been campaigning to end this oppression and support a just peace based on respect for the rights of everyone in the territory between the river and the sea. Over the past few weeks, the number of people subscribed to our email list has grown from 75,000 to 300,000. We have opened a further 25 branches, and 15 national trade unions have formally affiliated with us.

All of those who campaign for the rights of the Palestinian people are used to attempts to delegitimise their actions. Since October, politicians and parts of the media have attempted to demonise those who have been marching in London as hatemongers and extremists. The reality, as confirmed by the Met Police in the evidence it recently gave to the home affairs select committee, is that despite very heavy policing, the marches have been overwhelmingly peaceful, with proportionally fewer arrests than at Glastonbury music festival. And every march has included a bloc of Jewish protesters, sometimes several thousand strong – a fact that has rarely been reported in the media.

These interventions from politicians are framed as a defence of democracy, but they are in reality an attack on it. Seeking to limit the legal and legitimate activities of established groups such as PSC, whose work is endorsed across UK civil society, is profoundly anti-democratic. At a time when civil society and human rights defenders are under attack around the world, the government should be upholding our democratic freedoms, not seeking to remove them from people with whom it has a political disagreement. Rather than seeking to silence those standing up for justice and peace, political leaders should be focused on exercising maximum pressure on Israel’s extreme rightwing government to cease its assault.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Team Red, Blue, Yellow, and Green vetting all candidates at central office level has played a big part in the HOC being filled with nodding donkeys.
    Indeed

While there are some things she says I can agree with. "Nailed it" is certainly not a term I would use.

Overegged pudding springs more to my mind!

While there are some things she says I can agree with. "Nailed it" is certainly not a term I would use.

Overegged pudding springs more to my mind!
    'Nailed it' sprang to mine.

'Nailed it' sprang to mine.
    Great minds don't always think alike jon!

If I go on my laptop tonight I may expand on my views.

Too much hard doing longer posts on my tablet or phone thses days!

Too much hard doing longer posts on my tablet or phone thses days!

Too much hard doing longer posts on my ta!blet or phone thses days!
    (Whoops! Should have deleted the word much before I posted! And corrected the other errors! Shows why I try to avoid writing long posts using my phone!)

This is what some totally not extremist protesters did today. Destroying art related to the creation of a Jewish state.

All a little bit 'fascisty' isn't it?

https://news.sky.com/story/pro-pales...ridge-13090043

This is what some totally not extremist protesters did today. Destroying art related to the creation of a Jewish state.

All a little bit 'fascisty' isn't it?

https://news.sky.com/story/pro-pales...ridge-13090043
    It isn't a little bit fascisty at all.

It is political vandalism directed at an image which celebrates someone who should not be celebrated and in this case is seen by many, many people as the originator of the dispossession and suppression of Palestinian people through the Balfour Declaration. It is in the same mould as daubing red paint on the Colston statue and dropping it in Bristol dock. It is different from environmental campaigners glueing themselves to a Van Gogh (someone who liked sunflowers!).

I am not a fan of defacing or damaging works of art - but I think the final, horizontal, resting place of the defaced Colston statue - complete with information boards about him, the artist and the direct action that removed him from his plinth - is a massive improvement on the original situation where he remained celebrated and his reputation unchallenged.

What this case isn't is 'fascisty'. This is not burning books!

If you want to see something 'a little bit fascisty' turn your attention to the artists, writers and academics who have been cancelled, banned or sacked from their jobs - in Germany, the USA and here in the UK - because they defend Palestinians against apartheid and ethnic cleansing. Not Hamas supporting - but standing up for human rights and humanity. The victims of this fascistic purge have grown massively since 7 October 2023 - but there is a track record that went back long before. Cancelling and smearing political opponents from a position of state or institutional power is certainly 'fascisty'.

It isn't a little bit fascisty at all.

It is political vandalism directed at an image which celebrates someone who should not be celebrated and in this case is seen by many, many people as the originator of the dispossession and suppression of Palestinian people through the Balfour Declaration. It is in the same mould as daubing red paint on the Colston statue and dropping it in Bristol dock. It is different from environmental campaigners glueing themselves to a Van Gogh (someone who liked sunflowers!).

I am not a fan of defacing or damaging works of art - but I think the final, horizontal, resting place of the defaced Colston statue - complete with information boards about him, the artist and the direct action that removed him from his plinth - is a massive improvement on the original situation where he remained celebrated and his reputation unchallenged.

What this case isn't is 'fascisty'. This is not burning books!

If you want to see something 'a little bit fascisty' turn your attention to the artists, writers and academics who have been cancelled, banned or sacked from their jobs - in Germany, the USA and here in the UK - because they defend Palestinians against apartheid and ethnic cleansing. Not Hamas supporting - but standing up for human rights and humanity. The victims of this fascistic purge have grown massively since 7 October 2023 - but there is a track record that went back long before. Cancelling and smearing political opponents from a position of state or institutional power is certainly 'fascisty'.
    I think destroying art because it doesn't align with your own beliefs is actually pretty fascistic behaviour tbh. Make your point, but destroy art for others? Nope.

And when it's aimed at someone associated with the Jewish state, it just gets worse.

Don't dispute the cases you cite, so when I say can you post examples of them, I mean that because I would be genuinely interested to read them. No one should lose their job for such a belief and I would agree with you on that also being a fascistic trait.

I think destroying art because it doesn't align with your own beliefs is actually pretty fascistic behaviour tbh. Make your point, but destroy art for others? Nope.

And when it's aimed at someone associated with the Jewish state, it just gets worse.

Don't dispute the cases you cite, so when I say can you post examples of them, I mean that because I would be genuinely interested to read them. No one should lose their job for such a belief and I would agree with you on that also being a fascistic trait.
    The problem with your opening line is the definition of ‘art’.

I thought it was only love that could tear us apart