+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: 7 successive wins by a solitary goal

7 successive wins by a solitary goal

Single goal margins are always good for the blood pressure! This isn't any attempt to pour cold water on another win by a solitary goal, I was just interested in seeing what our longest run of single goal wins is.

We have to go all the way back to 1980, under Richie Morgan. We went 16 wins, from 30 August 1980 to 7 November 1981, where all of our wins were by only 1 goal. Morgan was moved upstairs 2 days later and our first win under Graham Williams was a 3-1 success. Such luxuries back then!!

It may come as no surprise that our second longest run of single goal wins happened under Russell Slade, Paul Trollope and Neil Warnock. A 1-0 win over Ipswich on 12 March 2016 lead to a run of 12 successive single goal victories, culminating in a 1-0 success at home to Burton Albion the following season.

Our next longest run, 9, of successive single goalers was started by Steve Morison in March 2022 and completed in Hudson's first win as our manager. Frankie Burrows had 8 successive 1 goal wins in 1987.

Bulut's run of 7 successive 1 goal wins has happened 16 times in our history. Mackay's champions had 7 successive single goal successes.

What may be interesting is that 7 successive 1 goal wins has happened 5 times in the last 8 seasons. It happened twice in the previous 16 seasons, 6 times in 15 years from 1978-1993 and only 3 times from 1971 to our admission into the football league. While lots of 1 goal wins might be a sign of a side struggling, I think it says a lot about the modern game, or the way we have approached it in recent years.

Re: 7 successive wins by a solitary goal

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Single goal margins are always good for the blood pressure! This isn't any attempt to pour cold water on another win by a solitary goal, I was just interested in seeing what our longest run of single goal wins is.

We have to go all the way back to 1980, under Richie Morgan. We went 16 wins, from 30 August 1980 to 7 November 1981, where all of our wins were by only 1 goal. Morgan was moved upstairs 2 days later and our first win under Graham Williams was a 3-1 success. Such luxuries back then!!

It may come as no surprise that our second longest run of single goal wins happened under Russell Slade, Paul Trollope and Neil Warnock. A 1-0 win over Ipswich on 12 March 2016 lead to a run of 12 successive single goal victories, culminating in a 1-0 success at home to Burton Albion the following season.

Our next longest run, 9, of successive single goalers was started by Steve Morison in March 2022 and completed in Hudson's first win as our manager. Frankie Burrows had 8 successive 1 goal wins in 1987.

Bulut's run of 7 successive 1 goal wins has happened 16 times in our history. Mackay's champions had 7 successive single goal successes.

What may be interesting is that 7 successive 1 goal wins has happened 5 times in the last 8 seasons. It happened twice in the previous 16 seasons, 6 times in 15 years from 1978-1993 and only 3 times from 1971 to our admission into the football league. While lots of 1 goal wins might be a sign of a side struggling, I think it says a lot about the modern game, or the way we have approached it in recent years.
    Think the likes of Ashford and Joel Colwill will have to wait until we’re two goals or more up in the last quarter of a game to get their league debuts.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Think the likes of Ashford and Joel Colwill will have to wait until we’re two goals or more up in the last quarter of a game to get their league debuts.
    In 2037/38.

International

Who cares a wins a win!

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Who cares a wins a win!
    You can always rely on Eric to dampen the mood, even in victory.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    You can always rely on Eric to dampen the mood, even in victory.
    Nothing about the piece of interest to you, other than the opportunity for a personal attack?

Nothing about the piece of interest to you, other than the opportunity for a personal attack?
    Eric take a chill break

Hartley is a miserable git but he's clearly just pulling your leg

Bluebirds !

Personal attack

Get a grip ffs.

Single goal margins are always good for the blood pressure!
    ...haha...love to see Ramipril as our new sponsor plastered across every shirt. I'd buy the home, away, and the third shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Personal attack

Get a grip ffs.

My guess would be those seasons we played a similar way to the one we are now,
    limited talent offensively but tight at the back.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    My guess would be those seasons we played a similar way to the one we are now,
    limited talent offensively but tight at the back.
    Yes, but even during some of the seasons where we were absolute gash we still managed the odd win by more than a single goal. I was quite surprised that one of our longest runs was when we won the Championship! I think it's a mentality thing as much as anything else - now we're in front, try and let the opposition break us down. It's happened with multiple managers and I wonder it is a Tan thing?

Yes, but even during some of the seasons where we were absolute gash we still managed the odd win by more than a single goal. I was quite surprised that one of our longest runs was when we won the Championship! I think it's a mentality thing as much as anything else - now we're in front, try and let the opposition break us down. It's happened with multiple managers and I wonder it is a Tan thing?
    Tan wants more shots. He’s a gung ho sort of person.