+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: “Typical” Cardiff away win maintains season’s 100 per cent local derby record.

Re: “Typical” Cardiff away win maintains season’s 100 per cent local derby record.

Quote Originally Posted by llan bluebird View Post
    Yes its boring, formulaic and unadventurous but what would you do with what is available?

What are we good at?

The defence is tight with competent keepers
    Midfeild are all defensive physical types with glimpses from Colwill who we could have an 8 pager on his position and if he is at this level
    Attacking - We are very poor with Grant's work rate the only gold star

So you wouldn't sacrifice the defence or midfield for the extra poor attacker as the benefit is not worth the risk as they are not championship grade whereas the midfield and defence would all probably get championship contracts elsewhere.

I agree Bulut will always be Malky safe, but at the moment there is nothing worth sacrificing the 0-0 and hopefully nick it philosophy. If he had Tomlin then that would be a debate
    For the last few seasons we've been treading water. Boring football that is aimed to get enough results to keep us up.

Bulut starts the season with far better football than we've seen in a few years then reverts to type, yet some think that's all we are capable of. Sad.

Re: “Typical” Cardiff away win maintains season’s 100 per cent local derby record.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    For the last few seasons we've been treading water. Boring football that is aimed to get enough results to keep us up.

Bulut starts the season with far better football than we've seen in a few years then reverts to type, yet some think that's all we are capable of. Sad.
    I am pretty sure that Bulut knows his team a lot better than you or any of us do.

I've heard you (and others) quite a few on here asking why our manager is playing defensive football when we were great to watch and getting results back in the early months. People have offered their views as to why this has happened and why he should and shouldn't now be playing in such a way.

Bulut at the start of the season had a squad he inherited, brought in a couple of what have proved to be decent players and it included one Aaron Ramsey.
    The players were up for it and fit, as one would expect at the start of a season.
    We achieved some good results and played some good stuff in the early part.
    Then came a poor run.

Now that poor run may well have been down to injuries to key players, it may not have been, we don't know for sure.
    What I would say we do know is that the players we have as a collective are not capable of turning the tide enough for us to start playing that sort of game again.
    Did EB realise this before most of us did and set up his teams accordingly? I think so.

People can argue who should be playing where, and what kids should be brought in etc... til they are blue in the face but the fact is, teams have spotted our weaknesses and we simply do not have enough quality to sustain that type of football.
    Far better teams than ours have tried to play great to watch all out attacking football a la Kevin Keegan's Newcastle and come a cropper.

Am I happy watching these players watch this kind of attritional football with very little goalmouth incident? Of course not.
    Bulut's team selection and approach has been strange at times but I believe he has identified games we could gain points by playing a certain way.

Whether Erol Bulut is still here or not next year, or if he is the man to take us forward, is another debate but he was identified as a manager who could stabilise our club and avoid relegation.
    Although it hasn't been pretty watching for the best, he will have done his job.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Yesterday was quite interesting for me. Now i'm prepared to be corrected on this observation as my memory is terrible and i don't store information very well or take much notice for the best part. But i'm going to call yesterdays performance a 'Complete' performance from a Bulut team. A complete performance in terms of style, shape and set up. Nobody played poorly yesterday, interestingly, nobody stood out, did anything that could be remembered for a week or so after the game. No creativity(And i mean creativity withing the players skill set) No imagination, no movement, nothing much to see. Plenty of hard work, plenty of shape, plenty of long balls, plenty of passing the ball about in front of the opposition. All standard stuff from Bulut. And a goal from a set piece.

Bristol City were poor, they lacked imagination and craft in possession. The way they lined up suited us, they played in front of us. We dealt with it in a way that a bulut team deals with that kind of style and we got our goal from the set piece. The final 10 minutes were a bit hairy, as always when the opposition pushes a couple of players on, especially in wider positions. We rode our luck but were never prepared to exploit any space conceded by Bristol city while they searched for the equaliser.

So, for me, that was a Bulut performance, and one i have no doubt will have him grinning fro ear to ear. It's not for me, not anymore, i want to see something that gets me on my feet, and i'm pretty certain that whoever Bulut brings in in terms of playing staff, then the shape, formation and style of play would stay the same.
    We've been stuck in a pragmatic mentality for 4 seasons now. the table says were 'average', yet our football - and the level of excitement it brings - is amongst the worst. Birmingham City, QPR, are playing much more attractive football, creating good chances from open play and scoring excellent goals, yet they are just 3 points outside the bottom 3. Unless we are relegated and 'start from scratch', I can't see us ever getting back to the great football of 15+ years ago. I'd be quite happy to get back to the football played in Warnock's promotion season.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Full back Perry Ng consolidates his position as our top scorer.

https://mauveandyellowarmy.net/
    Good read Bob.

Here's hoping your reference to Bulut's playing style in your conversation with Tuerto is one forced upon him by similar circumstances to ours and not his chosen one