+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: “Typical” Cardiff away win maintains season’s 100 per cent local derby record.

“Typical” Cardiff away win maintains season’s 100 per cent local derby record.

Full back Perry Ng consolidates his position as our top scorer.

https://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

Re: “Typical” Cardiff away win maintains season’s 100 per cent local derby record.

Meite made a real difference when he came on. We looked much more of a threat. Etete had put in his usual good shift but, again as usual, didn't look like scoring. He seems more effective in defence to be honest. I hope he's not out for weeks but u would definitely try Meite up front v Huddersfield.

Re: “Typical” Cardiff away win maintains season’s 100 per cent local derby record.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    Meite made a real difference when he came on. We looked much more of a threat. Etete had put in his usual good shift but, again as usual, didn't look like scoring. He seems more effective in defence to be honest. I hope he's not out for weeks but u would definitely try Meite up front v Huddersfield.
    Bulut said after the game that Etete was withdrawn as a precaution and was not expected to be out for long - Grant should be available as well.

Yesterday was quite interesting for me. Now i'm prepared to be corrected on this observation as my memory is terrible and i don't store information very well or take much notice for the best part. But i'm going to call yesterdays performance a 'Complete' performance from a Bulut team. A complete performance in terms of style, shape and set up. Nobody played poorly yesterday, interestingly, nobody stood out, did anything that could be remembered for a week or so after the game. No creativity(And i mean creativity withing the players skill set) No imagination, no movement, nothing much to see. Plenty of hard work, plenty of shape, plenty of long balls, plenty of passing the ball about in front of the opposition. All standard stuff from Bulut. And a goal from a set piece.

Bristol City were poor, they lacked imagination and craft in possession. The way they lined up suited us, they played in front of us. We dealt with it in a way that a bulut team deals with that kind of style and we got our goal from the set piece. The final 10 minutes were a bit hairy, as always when the opposition pushes a couple of players on, especially in wider positions. We rode our luck but were never prepared to exploit any space conceded by Bristol city while they searched for the equaliser.

So, for me, that was a Bulut performance, and one i have no doubt will have him grinning fro ear to ear. It's not for me, not anymore, i want to see something that gets me on my feet, and i'm pretty certain that whoever Bulut brings in in terms of playing staff, then the shape, formation and style of play would stay the same.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Full back Perry Ng consolidates his position as our top scorer.

https://mauveandyellowarmy.net/
    A significant portion of the tens of millions Bristol City had raised from transfers has been used to fund Bristol Sport and in particular the Rugby side according to a work colleague of mine who supports the Robins.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Yesterday was quite interesting for me. Now i'm prepared to be corrected on this observation as my memory is terrible and i don't store information very well or take much notice for the best part. But i'm going to call yesterdays performance a 'Complete' performance from a Bulut team. A complete performance in terms of style, shape and set up. Nobody played poorly yesterday, interestingly, nobody stood out, did anything that could be remembered for a week or so after the game. No creativity(And i mean creativity withing the players skill set) No imagination, no movement, nothing much to see. Plenty of hard work, plenty of shape, plenty of long balls, plenty of passing the ball about in front of the opposition. All standard stuff from Bulut. And a goal from a set piece.

Bristol City were poor, they lacked imagination and craft in possession. The way they lined up suited us, they played in front of us. We dealt with it in a way that a bulut team deals with that kind of style and we got our goal from the set piece. The final 10 minutes were a bit hairy, as always when the opposition pushes a couple of players on, especially in wider positions. We rode our luck but were never prepared to exploit any space conceded by Bristol city while they searched for the equaliser.

So, for me, that was a Bulut performance, and one i have no doubt will have him grinning fro ear to ear. It's not for me, not anymore, i want to see something that gets me on my feet, and i'm pretty certain that whoever Bulut brings in in terms of playing staff, then the shape, formation and style of play would stay the same.
    Yes, that’s pretty much how I feel. I mentioned on another thread that Fenerbache, with all of the advantages their stature should give them over most teams in the Turkish League, were thought of as a sit back and hit on the counter side under Bulut - I think your last sentence is probably true.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    A significant portion of the tens of millions Bristol City had raised from transfers has been used to fund Bristol Sport and in particular the Rugby side according to a work colleague of mine who supports the Robins.
    I believe that’s true, but, although they’ve made some big losses in recent years, Bristol have been able to pay relatively large wages by Championship standards and a lot of that is because of the money they received for the likes of Semenyo, Kelly and Scott.

I believe that’s true, but, although they’ve made some big losses in recent years, Bristol have been able to pay relatively large wages by Championship standards and a lot of that is because of the money they received for the likes of Semenyo, Kelly and Scott.
    Still much less than us according to this site and much lower than many others

https://salarysport.com/football/cha.../cardiff-city/

https://salarysport.com/football/cha.../bristol-city/

Still much less than us according to this site and much lower than many others

https://salarysport.com/football/cha.../cardiff-city/

https://salarysport.com/football/cha.../bristol-city/
    I find it very hard to believe that a website like that knows how much every Championship footballer in the country is being paid currently, especially when the accounts for this season won’t be published by any of them until the final months of this year at the earliest. However, if the figures are right, we really should be higher than we are in the table going by the widely believed notion that the league table very closely resembles a table of various teams’ wage budgets.

I find it very hard to believe that a website like that knows how much every Championship footballer in the country is being paid currently, especially when the accounts for this season won’t be published by any of them until the final months of this year at the earliest. However, if the figures are right, we really should be higher than we are in the table going by the widely believed notion that the league table very closely resembles a table of various teams’ wage budgets.
    They are a good barometer, especially when our wage budget this season is the 6th highest

Your last paragraph sums up my feelings towards Bulut and his team perfectly. A lot has been made on here and elsewhere about the quality of players he was supposed to be after during the January window. Like you I believe that no matter who we would have acquired we would still be getting more of the same but perhaps with a bit more consistency and strength in depth.

Many talk about giving Bulut several transfer windows to build the team he wants but even if this happens I do not expect him to move away from his tried and trusted formula. He certainly won't be putting entertainment near the top of his list.

They are a good barometer, especially when our wage budget this season is the 6th highest
    How do they know it is the 6th highest? How does anyone know? How does Dalman know - when he seemed to accept ours was 6th highest in an interview last month?

You can see the total wage bill by club (playing and non-playing staff) in the last published accounts - a snapshot from 18 months ago - but the 2023-24 club-by-club budgets are not published in advance.

In some cases (hopefully ours) they will have changed dramatically year on year as clubs try to control costs or (Hull?) decide to gamble. But I am not aware of any reliable source of information on current wages budgets to support or challenge the 6th highest claim.

Do you?

Yes its boring, formulaic and unadventurous but what would you do with what is available?

What are we good at?

The defence is tight with competent keepers
    Midfeild are all defensive physical types with glimpses from Colwill who we could have an 8 pager on his position and if he is at this level
    Attacking - We are very poor with Grant's work rate the only gold star

So you wouldn't sacrifice the defence or midfield for the extra poor attacker as the benefit is not worth the risk as they are not championship grade whereas the midfield and defence would all probably get championship contracts elsewhere.

I agree Bulut will always be Malky safe, but at the moment there is nothing worth sacrificing the 0-0 and hopefully nick it philosophy. If he had Tomlin then that would be a debate

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    How do they know it is the 6th highest? How does anyone know? How does Dalman know - when he seemed to accept ours was 6th highest in an interview last month?

You can see the total wage bill by club (playing and non-playing staff) in the last published accounts - a snapshot from 18 months ago - but the 2023-24 club-by-club budgets are not published in advance.

In some cases (hopefully ours) they will have changed dramatically year on year as clubs try to control costs or (Hull?) decide to gamble. But I am not aware of any reliable source of information on current wages budgets to support or challenge the 6th highest claim.

Do you?
    I made a point of looking up how much Philogene is supposed to be on - Ł14k a week which is Ł4k less than we’re seemingly paying Joe Ralls. Meanwhile, Jeff Hendrick is on Ł50 thousand a week at Sheffield Wednesday it seems - more than double anyone else at the club.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post

Do you?
    Dalman said on Radio Wales our budget was the sixth highest and he also reported the exact same figures in a separate interview with Scott Johnson. Don’t you think that information that’s been shared widely by the chairman of the football club is is enough evidence for a valid argument on a football message-board or shall we just ignore it for a further 12 months until the statement of financial position is released?

Dalman said on Radio Wales our budget was the sixth highest and he also reported the exact same figures in a separate interview with Scott Johnson. Don’t you think that information that’s been shared widely by the chairman of the football club is is enough evidence for a valid argument on a football message-board or shall we just ignore it for a further 12 months until the statement of financial position is released?
    I think it is interesting and something to talk about.

I don't think it is 'enough evidence' for us to accept the claim of us having the 6th highest wage bill in the league.

I wonder whether Dalman has any more information that isn't in the public domain - conversations with other Championship chairmen for instance - but I do not believe he knows (or can know) the wage bill (or players wage budgets) for 23 other clubs.

I assume Dalman had a reason to accept and repeat the '6th highest wage bill' claim. Probably to project the impression of a club that is investing in the squad and backing the manager despite the two window transfer restriction? Positive spin.

But we certainly shouldn't ignore the claim or avoid any message board arguments about it. Not knowing the truth of something has never stopped us before. If we only waited for 100% facts and held back on opinions, the board would die.

You have to speculate to accumulate!

I wouldn't believe a word that comes out of dalmans mouth - i doubt bulut does now either - if he said it was Sunday I would check my calendar

If I want to know who is paid what I would come here and be in hook line and sinker - this is the place for facts

I was going to write something similar so you've saved me precious time. It's a really good post and I agree. I'd add that I really am bored with City at the moment. It's been building up since our relegation from the PL. The promotion season was the last time I really enjoyed going down with the odd exception of a few Tomlin appearances and that free kick.

Yesterday I couldn't even listen to the match commentary (it's just so tedious and chummy) just looked up the result later in the day. In the previous match, I switched it off and I haven't been down the stadium for a while. Can't abide Bulut's football and can't stand the Tan era any longer and yet another Sala saga. Time to move on and do something else on my Saturdays. Maybe I'm just bored with football in general. It's hard to say for sure.

I think the club has stifled a lot of people's enjoyment of the game for some time now and the one thing that kept me going (the social side) has even been affected because so many people I know have stopped going or don't go as often.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I was going to write something similar so you've saved me precious time. It's a really good post and I agree. I'd add that I really am bored with City at the moment. It's been building up since our relegation from the PL. The promotion season was the last time I really enjoyed going down with the odd exception of a few Tomlin appearances and that free kick.

Yesterday I couldn't even listen to the match commentary (it's just so tedious and chummy) just looked up the result later in the day. In the previous match, I switched it off and I haven't been down the stadium for a while. Can't abide Bulut's football and can't stand the Tan era any longer and yet another Sala saga. Time to move on and do something else on my Saturdays. Maybe I'm just bored with football in general. It's hard to say for sure.

I think the club has stifled a lot of people's enjoyment of the game for some time now and the one thing that kept me going (the social side) has even been affected because so many people I know have stopped going or don't go as often.
    I was referring to Tuerto's last para in my post, just to be clear just in case anyone wonders how I can agree with the rest of the his post as I didn't watch the game.

There’s a Sky commentator who quite often references the wage bills of the Championship teams he’s watching (think his name might be Gary Weaver) and every time he does it, I think “you can’t know that for sure”. Last season, he had us down as in the bottom third of the division (I.e 17th to 24th) as wage payers, so, if we really have gone from 17th (at the highest) to 6th in the wages table, then is a jump up the table which can be put down to a much better scoring record from set pieces really that impressive if the wage budget has increased so much?

Certainly since late October, I’ve seen no improvement in the entertainment on offer at Cardiff City Stadium and in away games than there was last season and while I’m sceptical about claims that we were such poor payers last season and such good ones this time around as claimed by Messrs Weaver and Dalman, I can accept that, given the standing of some of the players signed Bulut has had a significantly larger wage budget to work with than Messrs Morison, Hudson and Lamouchi did last season, so, is the improvement in our league position really the ringing endorsement of Bulut’s management that some claim it is?

There’s a Sky commentator who quite often references the wage bills of the Championship teams he’s watching (think his name might be Gary Weaver) and every time he does it, I think “you can’t know that for sure”. Last season, he had us down as in the bottom third of the division (I.e 17th to 24th) as wage payers, so, if we really have gone from 17th (at the highest) to 6th in the wages table, then is a jump up the table which can be put down to a much better scoring record from set pieces really that impressive if the wage budget has increased so much?

Certainly since late October, I’ve seen no improvement in the entertainment on offer at Cardiff City Stadium and in away games than there was last season and while I’m sceptical about claims that we were such poor payers last season and such good ones this time around as claimed by Messrs Weaver and Dalman, I can accept that, given the standing of some of the players signed Bulut has had a significantly larger wage budget to work with than Messrs Morison, Hudson and Lamouchi did last season, so, is the improvement in our league position really the ringing endorsement of Bulut’s management that some claim it is?

In response to your final paragraph,I’d say that you have to give Bulut some credit with the improvement in our league position. Yes he may ( according to Dalman) have had a bigger wage bill but let’s not forget we ha e been under a three window transfer embargo.

One or two big ticket transfers would have no doubt have us closer to the top six than we are now.

The lack of enjoyment is an interesting one as I have a forced absence from games at the moment and I miss it like mad and not just the time spent with friends etc but the actual football as well but maybe I have a lower threshold than some other posters on here

What I will say though is whether people on here go to games or not and I think a lot of the regular poster seem to not go to games based on their comments, this board has been stifled as well and regardless of the thread and the topic content somehow it always gets skewed towards having a dig at the club the management or the players - so your point is a valid one not just on a decision to attend games but the impact on the content of this board.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    The lack of enjoyment is an interesting one as I have a forced absence from games at the moment and I miss it like mad and not just the time spent with friends etc but the actual football as well but maybe I have a lower threshold than some other posters on here

What I will say though is whether people on here go to games or not and I think a lot of the regular poster seem to not go to games based on their comments, this board has been stifled as well and regardless of the thread and the topic content somehow it always gets skewed towards having a dig at the club the management or the players - so your point is a valid one not just on a decision to attend games but the impact on the content of this board.
    I appreciate your reply because you got me thinking this morning. You mention a forced absence. This has reminded me that I've started taking things for granted again, after many forced absences, from things I could normally do (and took for granted). It's a timely reminder that if we shift our expectations, we shift our outlook. When I couldn't get to games, I told myself I'd not complain ever again.

I need to remember that.

The other thing that's easily done on a message board is to become a victim of groupthink. Sometimes, we only focus on the things we agree with and they reinforce our beliefs instead of re-evaluating. We become entrenched in our views. I dislike that I have to acknowledge that happening when I do it myself.

Philosophy TED talk online next week!

I appreciate your reply because you got me thinking this morning. You mention a forced absence. This has reminded me that I've started taking things for granted again, after many forced absences, from things I could normally do (and took for granted). It's a timely reminder that if we shift our expectations, we shift our outlook. When I couldn't get to games, I told myself I'd not complain ever again.

I need to remember that.

The other thing that's easily done on a message board is to become a victim of groupthink. Sometimes, we only focus on the things we agree with and they reinforce our beliefs instead of re-evaluating. We become entrenched in our views. I dislike that I have to acknowledge that happening when I do it myself.

Philosophy TED talk online next week!
    I had a few weeks off from the message board as it was so negative and depressing and I am on the verge again

As I can't get to games at the moment my contribution to the visual aspects of the game has gone and therefore becomes a bystander to the comments on game etc.

I feel another retreat from this board coming 👍

Quote Originally Posted by llan bluebird View Post
    Yes its boring, formulaic and unadventurous but what would you do with what is available?

What are we good at?

The defence is tight with competent keepers
    Midfeild are all defensive physical types with glimpses from Colwill who we could have an 8 pager on his position and if he is at this level
    Attacking - We are very poor with Grant's work rate the only gold star

So you wouldn't sacrifice the defence or midfield for the extra poor attacker as the benefit is not worth the risk as they are not championship grade whereas the midfield and defence would all probably get championship contracts elsewhere.

I agree Bulut will always be Malky safe, but at the moment there is nothing worth sacrificing the 0-0 and hopefully nick it philosophy. If he had Tomlin then that would be a debate
    Good post