+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: “Typical” Cardiff away win maintains season’s 100 per cent local derby record.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: “Typical” Cardiff away win maintains season’s 100 per cent local derby record.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I find it very hard to believe that a website like that knows how much every Championship footballer in the country is being paid currently, especially when the accounts for this season won’t be published by any of them until the final months of this year at the earliest. However, if the figures are right, we really should be higher than we are in the table going by the widely believed notion that the league table very closely resembles a table of various teams’ wage budgets.
    They are a good barometer, especially when our wage budget this season is the 6th highest

Re: “Typical” Cardiff away win maintains season’s 100 per cent local derby record.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    They are a good barometer, especially when our wage budget this season is the 6th highest
    How do they know it is the 6th highest? How does anyone know? How does Dalman know - when he seemed to accept ours was 6th highest in an interview last month?

You can see the total wage bill by club (playing and non-playing staff) in the last published accounts - a snapshot from 18 months ago - but the 2023-24 club-by-club budgets are not published in advance.

In some cases (hopefully ours) they will have changed dramatically year on year as clubs try to control costs or (Hull?) decide to gamble. But I am not aware of any reliable source of information on current wages budgets to support or challenge the 6th highest claim.

Do you?

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    How do they know it is the 6th highest? How does anyone know? How does Dalman know - when he seemed to accept ours was 6th highest in an interview last month?

You can see the total wage bill by club (playing and non-playing staff) in the last published accounts - a snapshot from 18 months ago - but the 2023-24 club-by-club budgets are not published in advance.

In some cases (hopefully ours) they will have changed dramatically year on year as clubs try to control costs or (Hull?) decide to gamble. But I am not aware of any reliable source of information on current wages budgets to support or challenge the 6th highest claim.

Do you?
    I made a point of looking up how much Philogene is supposed to be on - Ł14k a week which is Ł4k less than we’re seemingly paying Joe Ralls. Meanwhile, Jeff Hendrick is on Ł50 thousand a week at Sheffield Wednesday it seems - more than double anyone else at the club.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post

Do you?
    Dalman said on Radio Wales our budget was the sixth highest and he also reported the exact same figures in a separate interview with Scott Johnson. Don’t you think that information that’s been shared widely by the chairman of the football club is is enough evidence for a valid argument on a football message-board or shall we just ignore it for a further 12 months until the statement of financial position is released?

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Dalman said on Radio Wales our budget was the sixth highest and he also reported the exact same figures in a separate interview with Scott Johnson. Don’t you think that information that’s been shared widely by the chairman of the football club is is enough evidence for a valid argument on a football message-board or shall we just ignore it for a further 12 months until the statement of financial position is released?
    I think it is interesting and something to talk about.

I don't think it is 'enough evidence' for us to accept the claim of us having the 6th highest wage bill in the league.

I wonder whether Dalman has any more information that isn't in the public domain - conversations with other Championship chairmen for instance - but I do not believe he knows (or can know) the wage bill (or players wage budgets) for 23 other clubs.

I assume Dalman had a reason to accept and repeat the '6th highest wage bill' claim. Probably to project the impression of a club that is investing in the squad and backing the manager despite the two window transfer restriction? Positive spin.

But we certainly shouldn't ignore the claim or avoid any message board arguments about it. Not knowing the truth of something has never stopped us before. If we only waited for 100% facts and held back on opinions, the board would die.

You have to speculate to accumulate!