+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cardiff city ladies change name to Gwalia United

Cardiff city ladies change name to Gwalia United

https://gwaliaunited.com/news/a-new-chapter-begins/

Also playing at Newport stadium.

Hopefully that should end the confusion between cardiff city ladies and cardiff city women!

Julian Jenkins is chairman there- talking of dreaming of rhe premier league. Some huge crowds in that league. 60k for arsenal again today and seems to be a regular thing now.

They are home to Portsmouth today. In fairness being in the English system they have a better chance of growing as a club than cardiff city women in the Welsh league system.

Re: Cardiff city ladies change name to Gwalia United

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post

Hopefully that should end the confusion between cardiff city ladies and cardiff city women!

Julian Jenkins is chairman there- talking of dreaming of rhe premier league. Some huge crowds in that league. 60k for arsenal again today and seems to be a regular thing now.

They are home to Portsmouth today. In fairness being in the English system they have a better chance of growing as a club than cardiff city women in the Welsh league system.
    Another ****ing re brand

Also didn't realise its a 1100 sell out v pompey today.

Some interesting marketing on their website. They seem to be having a real go at it and exploiting the position of being the only non English team in the pyramid. Good luck to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Another ****ing re brand
    Was JJ involved in the tan rebrand? I can't remember the timeline and all blurs into one.

Red home kit also!

Was JJ involved in the tan rebrand? I can't remember the timeline and all blurs into one.

Red home kit also!
    I think he was at the club when it happened and he made the correct noise, although he was an employee, what his personal thoughts were i don't know. JJ is a born and bred City fan.

this is the main thing imho, I was speaking to a player last season about a player of mine who went for trials with Cardiff ( didnt get in and stayed down here playing ) she was telling me about playing for Cardiff City, turned out it wasnt the one connected to the club, so wasnt that impressive to me

The Cardiff City one play in the welsh setup and the other in the English then

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I think he was at the club when it happened and he made the correct noise, although he was an employee, what his personal thoughts were i don't know. JJ is a born and bred City fan.
    In all seriousness it does make sense for them to brand themselves as representing all of wales- as the only non English team in the pyramid. Plus being called cardiff city strange with newport their home ground.

Very different to other rebrands we could but won't mention!

Red home kit also!

Tried to take over Yeovil a while back

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    this is the main thing imho, I was speaking to a player last season about a player of mine who went for trials with Cardiff ( didnt get in and stayed down here playing ) she was telling me about playing for Cardiff City, turned out it wasnt the one connected to the club, so wasnt that impressive to me

The Cardiff City one play in the welsh setup and the other in the English then
    Yes and fairly sure the womens cardiff city not connected to the mens club is the one who play at a higher standard.

They have players in the Welsh team but the real cardiff city don't. They got to last 16 in FA cup. I'd guess that's better than winning the LoW which is what official cardiff city compete in.

So you should have been more impressed it wasn't the one connected to the club.

Would be interesting to see them play each other. Pre-season friendly perhaps. Would be less confusing as they'll have different names.

I went to Chelsea v Spurs in the WSL last season in November. Stadium was packed as the mens football was on break for the World Cup. Was a good experience and a game I actually enjoyed.

In all seriousness it does make sense for them to brand themselves as representing all of wales- as the only non English team in the pyramid. Plus being called cardiff city strange with newport their home ground.

Very different to other rebrands we could but won't mention!
    Yes, i would agree.

Meanwhile Cardiff City Women beat Swansea City Women (recently rebranded from Ladies!) 1 - 3 in the Bute Energy Cup semi final this afternoon.

Should/could have been a bigger winning margin.

So you should have been more impressed it wasn't the one connected to the club.
    Oh I knew they were the better team, but still not the real Cardiff City

In case you want to know LOM's view on this:

https://www.ccmb.co.uk/showthread.ph...City-confusion!

A big positive of the new Wrexham ownership is that the women’s team have progressed a lot. I’m legitimately more interested in checking the Women’s Welsh premier rather than the Men’s with 3 competitive teams as opposed to only TNS

International

Wrong board!

Quote Originally Posted by Wozza16 View Post
    A big positive of the new Wrexham ownership is that the women’s team have progressed a lot. I’m legitimately more interested in checking the Women’s Welsh premier rather than the Men’s with 3 competitive teams as opposed to only TNS
    Cardiff wrexham welsh cup final actually.

Could be a big crowd and a lot of interest.

Newtown is where such finals are normally played but i think they will choose merthyr this time- or colwyn bay or bangor.

Wouldnt rule out swansea or even principality as may look good on the new disney doc.