+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Manager situation and the constant changing over recent years

Manager situation and the constant changing over recent years

I will most definitely contradict myself...

It is unhealthy to continually chop and change manager, of that I 100 percent agree. The club needs stability from top to bottom.

The Bulut train was quick out the station, the football he looked to be trying to play seemed pleasing on the eye, I enjoyed the trip to Albufeira in the summer. At some point this changed. I understand its about staying in the league, but what was the reason for the with in play?

Cardiff City aren't going up or down. Why is he setting us up to be hard to beat and to nick a win?

If this is what we are going to be served up week in week out then id rather see a change, maybe find out the philosophy of the incoming manager and chose one based on how they want the club to play. Lets have an identity, a pathway to the first team, a way of playing that the scouts understand what to look for, and the stupid transfer squad to whatever they call it these days can identify players based on a playing style that runs from the kids up to the seniors, this makes it easier to bring in players from the younger year groups, we will never be Man City or Liverpool, great, but if we do manage to produce the odd player it would be great for them to just slot seamlessly into the senior squad and not enter a completely alien training session... its proven to work so why do we do it so differently.

We do have players capable of playing better football, COD and Bowler with the shackles off could run at defences, its not like they're incapable of this, its the way they're instructed that hinders them.

Re: Manager situation and the constant changing over recent years

Literally every new manager will say they will deliver that 3rd paragraph. Exciting football. Path from academy to first team. Get fans excited etc etc.... saying it isn't difficult.

Unfortunately there are opposition teams who can exploit this fairly quickly and there is a reason teams quickly drop it.

Even when trollope was appointed and we signed emyr huws people were excited about us playing 2 number 10s like wales at the time etc. .. remember the revOLEution? Based on fast running football like man u. Sounded so easy.

Morison is a joke figure now but many wanted him appointed for months before he was.

To quote Mike tyson- everyone has a plan until they are punched in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    Literally every new manager will say they will deliver that 3rd paragraph. Exciting football. Path from academy to first team. Get fans excited etc etc.... saying it isn't difficult.

Unfortunately there are opposition teams who can exploit this fairly quickly and there is a reason teams quickly drop it.

Even when trollope was appointed and we signed emyr huws people were excited about us playing 2 number 10s like wales at the time etc. .. remember the revOLEution? Based on fast running football like man u. Sounded so easy.

Morison is a joke figure now but many wanted him appointed for months before he was.

Post of the year NQAT.

Quote Originally Posted by Dembe View Post

It is unhealthy to continually chop and change manager, of that I 100 percent agree. The club needs stability from top to bottom.

The Bulut train was quick out the station, the football he looked to be trying to play seemed pleasing on the eye, I enjoyed the trip to Albufeira in the summer. At some point this changed. I understand its about staying in the league, but what was the reason for the with in play?

Cardiff City aren't going up or down. Why is he setting us up to be hard to beat and to nick a win?

If this is what we are going to be served up week in week out then id rather see a change, maybe find out the philosophy of the incoming manager and chose one based on how they want the club to play. Lets have an identity, a pathway to the first team, a way of playing that the scouts understand what to look for, and the stupid transfer squad to whatever they call it these days can identify players based on a playing style that runs from the kids up to the seniors, this makes it easier to bring in players from the younger year groups, we will never be Man City or Liverpool, great, but if we do manage to produce the odd player it would be great for them to just slot seamlessly into the senior squad and not enter a completely alien training session... its proven to work so why do we do it so differently.

We do have players capable of playing better football, COD and Bowler with the shackles off could run at defences, its not like they're incapable of this, its the way they're instructed that hinders them.
    I agree that Bulut is too negative. Most pundits seem to think so as well. As you said, he wasn't at the start of the season. However, 2-0 up at Leeds, he decides to shut up shop. We drew but on another day we wouldn't have got as lucky as we were at times and have lost.

I would love it if Bulut could get back that formula from the start of the season. It wasn't dependant on Ramsey.

However, I would suggest your fifth paragraph needs to go into some sort of reverse, though I agree with it. The thought that our next manager could be responsible for our style of football going forward for years fills me with total dread. Our board couldn't appoint a visionary, it'll be another manager on the cheap. The last time we appointed a manager for the future was Malky Mackay.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post

So the only way we can play is the boring, defensive, set piece dependant stuff we’ve been watching for the last three seasons?

A club like Plymouth can develop a team which plays far more football than us in about two seasons, we’ve had to abandon attempts to play a more progressive game in recent years because the senior players weren’t up to the task - what an admission of defeat that we seem to think we can only play one way.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    So the only way we can play is the boring, defensive, set piece dependant stuff we’ve been watching for the last three seasons?

A club like Plymouth can develop a team which plays far more football than us in about two seasons, we’ve had to abandon attempts to play a more progressive game in recent years because the senior players weren’t up to the task - what an admission of defeat that we seem to think we can only play one way.
    It's more like the last 13 seasons than 3 seasons isn't it?

My point was just in those 13 seasons the club could argue they have tried to appoint people to do that- they've just been awful appointments then the club revert to basics and the cycle goes round.

I remember Ridsdale saying when dave jones was appointed- you get the most expensive manager you can possibly get with your budget. Look how much dave jones made the club in return. It's just a shame the ones like trollope and morison maybe hudson have been so unproven and the club have never gone for anyone with a proven record of decent football at this level.

Love the Tyson quote- "Everyone has a plan until they are punched in the face" and the punch in the face IMO is the championship.

I reckon all of EB's plans were up in the air when fatigue, weather and injuries took hold. You need a deep squad and to quote Graham Henry a few "x" factors and this is where we fall short.

The championship is brutal and no place for a novice. Malky was relatively untried in the championship but knew it well and what was required. Same with Warnock, if you keep it to nil you at least get a point.

EB should have learned a lot from this season about what is required to have a crack over two seasons. I think his DNA is keep it nil and you get a point, add some x factor and who knows

3 Seasons? More like 7 or 8 seasons..OGS was the last manager to try and play attractive football, look what happened there.

Quote Originally Posted by llan bluebird View Post
    The championship is brutal and no place for a novice.
    The top two are both managed by novice managers plus Ipswich are up there without relying on parachute psyments.

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    The top two are both managed by novice managers plus Ipswich are up there without relying on parachute psyments.
    Exactly, there are a few clubs in this league, including the two that played out Saturday’s Severnside derby, who should be embarrassed by Ipswich’s success this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    3 Seasons? More like 7 or 8 seasons..OGS was the last manager to try and play attractive football, look what happened there.
    My memory of ole is that it was chaotic - you never knew what side he was going to pick - it was like he threw all the outfield players names in a hat and chose the first 10 - never forget the jacks away when from memory he didn't pick mutch and noone who at the time were out best players (IMO)

That was a very long day with all the travel restrictions and the M4 being closed after the game coupled with living 9 miles away for the liberty😂😂

Exactly, there are a few clubs in this league, including the two that played out Saturday’s Severnside derby, who should be embarrassed by Ipswich’s success this season.
    Ipswich, Plymouth, 3rd tier teams for years, a place where you can build, develop and tinker with a squad of players without fear of too much damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    My memory of ole is that it was chaotic - you never knew what side he was going to pick - it was like he threw all the outfield players names in a hat and chose the first 10 - never forget the jacks away when from memory he didn't pick mutch and noone who at the time were out best players (IMO)

That was a very long day with all the travel restrictions and the M4 being closed after the game coupled with living 9 miles away for the liberty����
    I remember we finally got a clean sheet against villa (straight after the jacks actually), then he changed three of the back four and Hull tonked us at home. After that, we were a club who looked certain to go down.

That was a very long day with all the travel restrictions and the M4 being closed after the game coupled with living 9 miles away for the liberty����
    My opinion too.
    The jacks were bricking it, thinking we'd do the "doube" over them, then he fielded that strange side, and we got tonked.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    My opinion too.
    The jacks were bricking it, thinking we'd do the "doube" over them, then he fielded that strange side, and we got tonked.
    It was monks first game as their manager as well I think - hell of a new manager bounce 😭😭

It was monks first game as their manager as well I think - hell of a new manager bounce ����
    Monk just been appointed Cambridge manager (to replace the ship-jumping Neil Harris) after 3+ years out of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Monk just been appointed Cambridge manager (to replace the ship-jumping Neil Harris) after 3+ years out of the game.
    Heard that yesterday on the radio - Cambridge seem to have through a few managers I think (but haven't checked) 😂😂

"Cardiff City aren't going up or down. Why is he setting us up to be hard to beat and to nick a win?"

I think that this is Bulut's method and from what several posters have alluded to, this is why he didn't last too long at Fenerbache.

If Bulut stays and if he gets a decent transfer budget in the summer (yes I know it's all 'if's') the 'hard to beat and to nick a win' mantra will be written in stone for the team. We will sit back and defend that 1-0 lead if there are 20 minutes to go in a game. Likewise, if we grab a late second to go to 2-1 up it will be defend, defend, defend. Which is pretty much what it is at the moment, except we haven't been too successful. However, I expect us to be a lot more successful with that mantra next season. Will it bring the fans flooding back to the stadium? I guess if we are around the Top 6 then it will. However, for me, it will be boring, boring footwall. Still, winning is what it is all about, so most fans will be satisfied with this style 'squeaky bum' football I guess. I know we never got over the line with Dave Jones, but I really do miss those days of Chopra, Bothroyd, McCormack, Whitts and co.

I don’t really have an opinion on manager for next season at the moment. Like I’ve said before I think whoever came in as manager under an embargo was always going to have it tough, and I don’t think the January window really addressed the issues either. I generally like Bulut but can also see the negative points, some poor team choices and subs. I would have liked to have seen a better path to the first team for some of the younger players, but then on the flip I wonder if they are good enough. His negative football is also frustrating, we do drop to deep and the wingers are to defensive, then again on the flip of that is it because he knows the forward players are not up to it so he’s trying to keep it tight and nick a goal.

I’ll reserve judgement until the end of the season.

Them it’s who we get in, I don’t think this squad is particularly strong, it wouldn’t take much to see us drop into another relegation battle. I think it would take a lot to get us into a top 6 team. Either way the football needs to improve.

I think as Eminem famously said, "You just need to relax a little." It is his first season. He has acquired well, and used the loan system effectively. It is just half way over his first season. I season defensive solidity growing, the settling down of new players, and the quiet building of form.

I have been watching the home and and away games and I see something building. For that reason, for a bit of fun, placed a little beer money £100 a few weeks back on Cardiff at 26-1 to make it to the top six. If it just misses it, I figure I will cash out at a nimble profit anyway if good lady form continues.

Bulut is doing a fine job and building nicely. We are in for a BEAST of a season finish, according to this finely seasoned, wise owl of a speculating opportunist.

I occasionally see clips of us playing from recent years gone by (e.g. the club showed a goal that Chopra scored against the Wurzels at HT) and it is hard to believe that we ever played like that. Or ever will again. Just unrecognisable.

That said, despite it being dreary, I think that Bulut deserves more time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    I occasionally see clips of us playing from recent years gone by (e.g. the club showed a goal that Chopra scored against the Wurzels at HT) and it is hard to believe that we ever played like that. Or ever will again. Just unrecognisable.

That said, despite it being dreary, I think that Bulut deserves more time.
    It’s funny because I was a big Dave Jones fan, although I think he left at the right time but I always defended him and would get so much abuse for it.

In the end success is the only answer.

Quote Originally Posted by llan bluebird View Post
    Love the Tyson quote- "Everyone has a plan until they are punched in the face" and the punch in the face IMO is the championship.

I reckon all of EB's plans were up in the air when fatigue, weather and injuries took hold. You need a deep squad and to quote Graham Henry a few "x" factors and this is where we fall short.

The championship is brutal and no place for a novice. Malky was relatively untried in the championship but knew it well and what was required. Same with Warnock, if you keep it to nil you at least get a point.

EB should have learned a lot from this season about what is required to have a crack over two seasons. I think his DNA is keep it nil and you get a point, add some x factor and who knows
    Nobody seems to care that this is also Bulut's first season in this most difficult of all leagues.

Most supporters would have been delighted to be where we are at the moment. We had a transfer embargo to start with and I'm just guessing that he didn't get exactly what he wanted in January. But the players he signed seem to be bedding in now.

There was a period when this board had many contributors, including the lugubrious TOBW, lamenting that we couldn't score from set pieces. Now we can, they are lamenting that we can't score from open play.

Give him a contract and see what he can do.

Quote Originally Posted by rich munn View Post
    Nobody seems to care that this is also Bulut's first season in this most difficult of all leagues.

Most supporters would have been delighted to be where we are at the moment. We had a transfer embargo to start with and I'm just guessing that he didn't get exactly what he wanted in January. But the players he signed seem to be bedding in now.

There was a period when this board had many contributors, including the lugubrious TOBW, lamenting that we couldn't score from set pieces. Now we can, they are lamenting that we can't score from open play.

Give him a contract and see what he can do.

Or the week after 5 players arrived on deadline day "he doesn't know his best team" lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I agree that Bulut is too negative. Most pundits seem to think so as well. As you said, he wasn't at the start of the season. However, 2-0 up at Leeds, he decides to shut up shop. We drew but on another day we wouldn't have got as lucky as we were at times and have lost.

I would love it if Bulut could get back that formula from the start of the season. It wasn't dependant on Ramsey.

However, I would suggest your fifth paragraph needs to go into some sort of reverse, though I agree with it. The thought that our next manager could be responsible for our style of football going forward for years fills me with total dread. Our board couldn't appoint a visionary, it'll be another manager on the cheap. The last time we appointed a manager for the future was Malky Mackay.
    It fills me with dread as well, because nobody at the club seems to have a clear plan. They say a lot of things, but from what I can see no one person is in charge of what goes on at the club, we seem to flip flop from one identity crisis to the next.
    I see peoples POV when they mention the managerial situation, it isn't good to go from one manager to the next year in year out.
    But it also isn't good to have a manager who's going to piss off so many with his negative style, fans are fickle they'll put up with it if we win, but personally ive had a guts full of the football under managers like Slade, Warnock, Harris and Bulut. Some posters point the finger at OGS and Trollope as reasons not to swap our style..but as others have pointed out teams like Ipswich and Plymouth have managed to get it done, it doesn't have to be a guaranteed disaster.

I want to see us win more than we lose, and I want to be entertained at the same time, I don't care if it takes a few transfer windows to sort out. I don't really care if we go up or not anymore, I think the chase is where you get the fun from.

Why don't the people making the decisions actually look at how the managers previous teams play? And not have the wool pulled over their eyes? Plenty of people have the gift of the gab..it wouldn't surprise me if nobody at the club knew what type of football bulut has played in the past.

There was a lot to reply ive probably missed out a lot of what I intended to say, and also blabbed to the pointy it makes no sense but ive not had a day off work for ages