+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Understandable that some City fans want to see some football?

Understandable that some City fans want to see some football?

Stats, stats and damned stats lol!

Thanks to whoscored.com, I've had a look at the last 5 seasons of goalscoring stats, how goals are scored. It makes pretty grim reading for Cardiff City and only emphasises how much rubbish we've had to endure since 2019/20.

39 teams have played in the Championship since 2019/20. Over those 5 seasons, 52.5% of our goals have come from open play. Only Millwall and Wycombe have lower percentages than that. 36 out of 39 teams have been more capable of scoring from open play in the Championship over the last 5 seasons.

Set pieces. 34% of our goals since 2019 have come from set pieces, the second highest behind Millwall.

It's quite clear what the Cardiff style is - it's not about enjoyable football but attritional crap designed to pinch games.

Re: Understandable that some City fans want to see some football?

Sad to say I think this will only continue with Bulut at the helm. I am sure if he is with us next season and he has a decent amount to spend in the summer window then he will get us up near the play-offs. Do I really want to watch Bulut-Ball though?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    Sad to say I think this will only continue with Bulut at the helm. I am sure if he is with us next season and he has a decent amount to spend in the summer window then he will get us up near the play-offs. Do I really want to watch Bulut-Ball though?
    My post wasn't aimed at Bulut, but the general way we've played over several seasons now. I think it would be safe to say that our style of play, with a reliance on set pieces, is one where we know our limitations but can still grind out results in another way. It's been, roughly, a recurring theme for every manager. How can we assemble a squad on the cheap that won't have much attacking flair, but can battle and scrap for results, yet the messages from on high were saying we would have had a good chance of promotion if we made the playoffs. Crikey, this City team would make Sheff Utd look like Man City if we fluked a promotion.

Although I don't have the stats to back it up I would say that we are a Championship version of Stoke when they were in the PL, heavily reliant it seemed, on set pieces like throw-ins and corners. Very rarely did they outplay their opponents but they frequently out-muscled them and were difficult to play against.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    My post wasn't aimed at Bulut, but the general way we've played over several seasons now. I think it would be safe to say that our style of play, with a reliance on set pieces, is one where we know our limitations but can still grind out results in another way. It's been, roughly, a recurring theme for every manager. How can we assemble a squad on the cheap that won't have much attacking flair, but can battle and scrap for results, yet the messages from on high were saying we would have had a good chance of promotion if we made the playoffs. Crikey, this City team would make Sheff Utd look like Man City if we fluked a promotion.
    What's particularly annoying is that we wasted our parachute payments on playing as a team which knew its limitations. Nuts.

International

A wins a win!