+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: European club Football - New Format

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: European club Football - New Format

Don't think it really needs this format.

Having said that they should really just go back to it being the actual league champions, straight knockout.

That would be more exciting for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post

Having said that they should really just go back to it being the actual league champions, straight knockout.

Of course, that’s the proper way This shit format of the clubs second, third & fourth entering makes the ‘Champions’ league title a complete lie. All geared to the big boys getting to the latter stages despite losing a few games along the way. It’s a dirge until the knock out stages but even that is now a closed shop between three or four country’s clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post

The old knock out style in the 80s really wasn't that great. If you look at the Wikipedia for just about any of them, the winners tended to coast to the semis before a tough game.

The way the competition is set up now isn't perfect, it's too easy for the big clubs to take part and makes domestic leagues even more skewed towards the giants, and there are second chances in the groups.

However come the knockouts and it's almost without fail the highest quality matches you'll see anywhere in the season. They're really spoiling a good thing.