+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stadium naming rights ?

Stadium naming rights ?

Can someone tell me why we've never sold them.
    It's a legitimate revenue stream, it just seems a no brainer to sell the naming rights.

Re: Stadium naming rights ?

I think it's down to VT not being willing to allow companies, other than his, to be a major sponsor around the stadium.

the hordes of City fans visiting Terengganu every year must be a vital source of income for the Malaysian economy and VT does not want to disrupt it

Everything you could possibly want to know about the stadium naming rights was covered in this thread from 2016:

https://www.ccmb.co.uk/showthread.ph...-naming-rights

Or maybe not!

Maybe someone can remember better than me, but I thought there was an original intention to raise £9m or so from the stadium naming rights, but then it got caught up in the legal disputes with Sam. It was suggested that Sam would be entitled to some or all of that income, so Tan held back.

Since then the legal disputes with our 'President For Life' have been resolved (haven't they?) but the CCS lives on.

It could be that the club still have concerns that any revenue from naming the stadium could be claimed by Sam Hammam, or it could be that the last 5 years have been the worst time to raise stadium sponsorship money, or it could be that Vincent Tan has other plans or wants to keep that option in his back pocket.

The Cardiff City Stadium is fine with me.

I'm guessing he's holding out for a killer offer and accepting something less cheapens the chance to get that - see the Reebok stadium, JJB stadium, Britannia Stadium etc, none of which are those grounds current names.

Personally I hate sponsored stadium names and find them hugely tacky, lacking in self respect and also a missed opportunity to build your own brand. But equally, Cardiff City Stadium is hardly a name is it. It's fine, but I'm surprised it's still there as it's clearly a holding name really.

As with most things Tan related, his general strategy is pretty unclear.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I'm guessing he's holding out for a killer offer and accepting something less cheapens the chance to get that - see the Reebok stadium, JJB stadium, Britannia Stadium etc, none of which are those grounds current names.

Personally I hate sponsored stadium names and find them hugely tacky, lacking in self respect and also a missed opportunity to build your own brand. But equally, Cardiff City Stadium is hardly a name is it. It's fine, but I'm surprised it's still there as it's clearly a holding name really.

There is nothing unclear about him not selling off the stadiums name. Its Cardiff City stadium. Cant get much clearer than that.

So he’s damned if he does and damned if he doesn’t.

I like the name, it’s simple and says what it is, what else would we call it?

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post

If there's no involvement with Sam, it will be the Berjaya Stadium

I like the name Cardiff city stadium

Not damned. He inherited the name Cardiff City Stadium (which I think is/was a holding name) and he has not got a sponsors name for the ground even though clearly he could have.

Hence saying what I said!

I don't like Tan cos of the rebrand, but I'm not criticising him here.

Not damned. He inherited the name Cardiff City Stadium (which I think is/was a holding name) and he has not got a sponsors name for the ground even though clearly he could have.

Hence saying what I said!

I don't like Tan cos of the rebrand, but I'm not criticising him here.
    But you also hate sponsored stadiums.

But you also hate sponsored stadiums.
    I do. They are tacky. Buildings should have names, not just fluctuate based on a sponsor

I do. They are tacky. Buildings should have names, not just fluctuate based on a sponsor
    So leave it as he has?

So leave it as he has?
    Yeah 🤷

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Everything you could possibly want to know about the stadium naming rights was covered in this thread from 2016:

https://www.ccmb.co.uk/showthread.ph...-naming-rights

Or maybe not!

Maybe someone can remember better than me, but I thought there was an original intention to raise £9m or so from the stadium naming rights, but then it got caught up in the legal disputes with Sam. It was suggested that Sam would be entitled to some or all of that income, so Tan held back.

Since then the legal disputes with our 'President For Life' have been resolved (haven't they?) but the CCS lives on.

It could be that the club still have concerns that any revenue from naming the stadium could be claimed by Sam Hammam, or it could be that the last 5 years have been the worst time to raise stadium sponsorship money, or it could be that Vincent Tan has other plans or wants to keep that option in his back pocket.

The Cardiff City Stadium is fine with me.
    Yep from memory wasnt sam promised 9mil in stadium naming rights as thats how much they would be sold for. But the club then decided to not sell them so sam got no money.

Maybe will be sorted when Sam returns........

Wasn’t Ninian Park named after a benefactor? Lord Ninian? I think he even kicked off a match once.

Quote Originally Posted by Pontprennau Bluebird View Post
    Wasn’t Ninian Park named after a benefactor? Lord Ninian? I think he even kicked off a match once.
    Was originally going to be called Sloper Park apparently………until he paid towards the legendary Bob Bank comfort station!!!!

The club should sort out sponsorship of the stadium as we are at a financial disadvantage to those who do have an income from stadium naming rights and we have the added attraction of our ground also being home to our national team which should earn the club a little more.

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    The club should sort out sponsorship of the stadium as we are at a financial disadvantage to those who do have an income from stadium naming rights and we have the added attraction of our ground also being home to our national team which should earn the club a little more.
    Isn't it the case that the names of the venues of national games are not allowed to include sponsorhip names?
    I'm not sure if I made that up or whether it's a hazy memory.

When we get to The Prem again and we get big ft crowds coming in we will do. And we’ll get BIG MONEY for it this time.

There is gold in them hills!!!!

This constant changing of stadium names is a curse, a destroyer of tradition and identity. Tan should have named the new stadium Ninian Park.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyscoular View Post
    This constant changing of stadium names is a curse, a destroyer of tradition and identity. Tan should have named the new stadium Ninian Park.
    Why? It’s not Ninian Park.

In May 2023 at a meeting with Mehmet Dalman and Fans Reps the issue of revenue generation was raised and Club Financial Director Phillip Jenkins stated that Stadium Sponsorship was not as lucrative as many might think.

It was reported on here

https://www.ccmb.co.uk/showthread.ph...ight=lucrative

See post by The Hooded Claw 2/5/23 at 11.05

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Isn't it the case that the names of the venues of national games are not allowed to include sponsorhip names?
    Only when they're hosting international games.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I'm not sure if there is a rule but I do know the Republic of Ireland play at the Aviva Stadium and I've never heard of it referred to as Landsdown Road, since the rebuild, or Dublin Arena although it is strange many other stadiums aren't sponsored.