+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stadium naming rights ?

Re: Stadium naming rights ?

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    I'm not sure if there is a rule but I do know the Republic of Ireland play at the Aviva Stadium and I've never heard of it referred to as Landsdown Road, since the rebuild, or Dublin Arena although it is strange many other stadiums aren't sponsored.
    It's only in finals tournaments. So it won't be called the Principality stadium in Euro 2024 for example. Will be known as "Cardiff stadium" or something neutral like that.

It's to avoid conflict with the numerous partners who sponsor the tournament's.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    It's only in finals tournaments. So it won't be called the Principality stadium in Euro 2024 for example. Will be known as "Cardiff stadium" or something neutral like that.

The tournament's what? Just teasing. Cheers for the clarification, old fruit.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    The tournament's what? Just teasing. Cheers for the clarification, old fruit.
    The Principality went back to being called the Millennium Stadium for the 2017 Champions League final for that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Why? It’s not Ninian Park.
    It is if the owner says it is. He changed the team colours to red and all hell quite properly broke loose. Continuity matters.

If it's to be Cardiff City Stadium, why shouldn't the team be Cardiff Rovers or Cardiff United? Cardiff City played at Ninian Park for 99 years, and I don't know why that didn't continue. I see the brand new Wembley is still Wembley, as it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyscoular View Post
    It is if the owner says it is. He changed the team colours to red and all hell quite properly broke loose. Continuity matters.

If it's to be Cardiff City Stadium, why shouldn't the team be Cardiff Rovers or Cardiff United? Cardiff City played at Ninian Park for 99 years, and I don't know why that didn't continue. I see the brand new Wembley is still Wembley, as it should be.
    The new Wembley stadium is on the site of the old one, not across the road.
    I don't like stadium names to include sponsors and am happy with Cardiff City Stadium, but if people want to change it then something with Sloper Road or Leckwith Road, or maybe a former player would do.