+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Late goals

Late goals

We were all disappointed at throwing away points late on at Leeds and Leicester. We haven't done so since those games.

I think it's worth noticing that we've won 12 points with goals in the last few minutes and in injury time. Two late winners against Sheffield Wednesday, a late winner at Sunderland, plus two comeback wins over Preston and now Ipswich.

I don't have the stats to hand about how that stands with other teams in the division, but I make it that, from 85 minutes onwards, we have a net profit of 9 points. That shows we have great character in the squad and a fight to the end. Those 9 points have made a huge difference.

Re: Late goals

I really think it’s a huge confidence issue, we dont have the best players so need them to be confident. It was referenced in the press conference today and I think that’s the reason for the winning/losing runs. When we got the equaliser today I really felt like the win was coming.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    I really think it’s a huge confidence issue, we dont have the best players so need them to be confident. It was referenced in the press conference today and I think that’s the reason for the winning/losing runs. When we got the equaliser today I really felt like the win was coming.
    What I don't get, and it's not a negative, is that we can't find that formula often enough earlier in games. After Ipswich scored, we really upped our game and, when we levelled, I was half expecting a winner.

Makes you wonder what tactics Bulut is employing. Today we were playing a high line and looked dangerous for the first 30 minutes then all of a sudden we took our foot off the gas sat back and invited Ipswich to try and break us down which they did. There looked to be only one winner. Hopefully this game is a turning point and Bulut must realise we need to attack for the whole game and not sit so deep. Attack is the best form of defence. That's what the best teams do

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    What I don't get, and it's not a negative, is that we can't find that formula often enough earlier in games. After Ipswich scored, we really upped our game and, when we levelled, I was half expecting a winner.
    I thought we played well throughout today, yes a little dip after half time but I think that was to be expected against an inform Ipswich.

Let’s not forget they were in excellent form, a Quick Look (and apologies if I’m wrong I’m just adding up lol). They had won their last six games scoring 18 goals in six games is impressive. Today had to be a huge effort from the players and we had to be tactically spot on, I think we were, we were competitive and played well. I think we deserved the win as well, a draw wouldn’t have been a bad result either.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    I thought we played well throughout today, yes a little dip after half time but I think that was to be expected against an inform Ipswich.

Let’s not forget they were in excellent form, a Quick Look (and apologies if I’m wrong I’m just adding up lol). They had won their last six games scoring 18 goals in six games is impressive. Today had to be a huge effort from the players and we had to be tactically spot on, I think we were, we were competitive and played well. I think we deserved the win as well, a draw wouldn’t have been a bad result either.
    Absolutely. We were well worthy of at least a point and I felt we deserved the win. It was possibly our best performance of the season.

Had Wintle not levelled deep into injury time I reckon we'd have lost, which would have been unjust, but one of those things that happens against sides at the top. He did, and we peppered them for a winner. I haven't seen much urgency like that in a long while. Fantastic!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Absolutely. We were well worthy of at least a point and I felt we deserved the win. It was possibly our best performance of the season.

Had Wintle not levelled deep into injury time I reckon we'd have lost, which would have been unjust, but one of those things that happens against sides at the top. He did, and we peppered them for a winner. I haven't seen much urgency like that in a long while. Fantastic!!
    Especially at home, I rarely have a feeling like it but as soon as Wintle scored it just felt like we were going to score, the pressing and winning possession, I think Colwill had an effort, just felt like it was coming. Brilliant.

Funnily enough I was thinking earlier we always have threads on here people claiming we concede more late goals than anyone else. It has certainly felt like that over the last 30 years!! However I am sure all fans of all clubs think that about themselves?

Apart from Leeds and Leicester away games in August doubt even city fans could claim we've been hard done by on that score this season. To get 2 wins when we've actually been losing deep into injury time is ridiculous really and the table would look very different just without those!