+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bristol or Swansea?

Re: Bristol or Swansea?

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    I agree

When I started watching us, the jacks weren't even on my radar, being 2 divisions below us.

Noticed since we beat them in the playoff in 2003 and made it to the PL the wurzels appear to have a lot more disdain for us, possibly due to rovers and Swindon being leagues below them and never actually playing each other. I guess this is what it must have been like being a bluebird back in the 60’s/70’s when swansea were nowhere to be seen….

International

The Jacks losing is good news, they come in the game against us after a loss and hopefully a slight loss in confidence, we go into the game with four wins in a row and after beating the 3rd best team in the League who had won all their previous six games.

In 1992, I had the misfortune of watching City get completely outclassed at Ashton Gate in the Coca-Cola Cup. Andy Cole had signed for them from Arsenal and ended up scoring a hat-trick.
    Aside from Andy Cole, they had Wayne Allison and Leroy Rosenior playing for them.

Anyone else unlucky to be there that night?

Quote Originally Posted by barrybloo View Post
    They're both c**ts, but Bristol are English as well.
    The Jacks are wannabe english....which is even worse in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    In 1992, I had the misfortune of watching City get completely outclassed at Ashton Gate in the Coca-Cola Cup. Andy Cole had signed for them from Arsenal and ended up scoring a hat-trick.
    Aside from Andy Cole, they had Wayne Allison and Leroy Rosenior playing for them.

Anyone else unlucky to be there that night?
    Yes me, I think we were two down before we got in the ground…..

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Yes me, I think we were two down before we got in the ground…..
    Lost 5-1 in the end. Andy Cole was unplayable that evening.
    The only other player that I'd seen tear the City apart with such frightening pace was when Laurie Cunningham played for Orient against us at Ninian Park.

Bristol 'derby' was a bit confected IMO. They aren't even in the same region as us. They just happened to be the nearest club to us in the same division for years.

There's local bragging rights involved with the Jacks.

Swansea has become, perhaps, the big one of late. But, Bristol City was/is always the regular one, the train fare seemed to stay at 6s 8d return for a few seasons at the end of the 60s. Trains would be heaving with City fans and the walk from Temple Meads was like a very boisterous Corpus Christi. Not much difference in the mileage from Cardiff regarding Bristol & Swansea either, is there?

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Bristol 'derby' was a bit confected IMO. They aren't even in the same region as us. They just happened to be the nearest club to us in the same division for years.

There's local bragging rights involved with the Jacks.
    In my opinion both the derbies have a touch of this about them.