+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: And it's goodnight from me

And it's goodnight from me

After 20 years on this board (with a year off a few seasons ago), I've decided to call it a day.

I've loved being able to post random stats of all sorts, not that I've ever regarded myself as any sort of statto. Stats have interested me whether positive, negative, in between etc. Runs of form, goals scored, conceded, winless runs, winning runs, all fascinating. I've had opinions that others have hated!

This has been a home for me. I met the woman who would (regrettably for her I'm sure!) become my wife on here back in 2006. I love those who I've got to know through this board. Mike is a legend and a top bloke and I thank him for not barring me over the wasp joke!!

We have some great contributors to this board, particularly TOBW, whose blog is amazing and his level headedness has been so consistent over the years. If I've ever needed a snapshot of where we are as a club, TOBW has always been my go to. TLG, while we've had ferocious arguments on here at times, is a top bloke who hasn't deserved the vitriol he's had in recent years. This board is so much poorer without him. I might argue with Sludge, but he is a great bloke, funny and I'll never lose my respect for him and I thank him for introducing me to dogging.

What I cannot ignore is that this board feels very alien to me now. I chat to lots of City fans on various platforms. It's always light hearted, even if opinions differ. This board seems anything but that. I think it's telling that none of my close City fans post on here any more. Things are about being right, proving others wrong. I don't care for that level of sneering.

I'm sure there'll be lots telling me to piss off, which would only prove my point. This isn't a decision made on a Sunday after a beer. It's been many weeks in progress. Maybe it's just me getting old.

Nos da.

Re: And it's goodnight from me

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    What I cannot ignore is that this board feels very alien to me now. I chat to lots of City fans on various platforms. It's always light hearted, even if opinions differ. This board seems anything but that. I think it's telling that none of my close City fans post on here any more. Things are about being right, proving others wrong. I don't care for that level of sneering
    It sounds like you are describing Victor Meldrew syndrome.

You bring a different opinion, and you can back up your view point as well, with some good football talk.

What we need less of is the sniping comments from people who seemingly struggle to accept that others have opinions which differ, but are equally valid.

I wont argue with a grown man if he's staying or going, but I think your balanced views will be missed.

After 20 years on this board (with a year off a few seasons ago), I've decided to call it a day.

I've loved being able to post random stats of all sorts, not that I've ever regarded myself as any sort of statto. Stats have interested me whether positive, negative, in between etc. Runs of form, goals scored, conceded, winless runs, winning runs, all fascinating. I've had opinions that others have hated!

This has been a home for me. I met the woman who would (regrettably for her I'm sure!) become my wife on here back in 2006. I love those who I've got to know through this board. Mike is a legend and a top bloke and I thank him for not barring me over the wasp joke!!

We have some great contributors to this board, particularly TOBW, whose blog is amazing and his level headedness has been so consistent over the years. If I've ever needed a snapshot of where we are as a club, TOBW has always been my go to. TLG, while we've had ferocious arguments on here at times, is a top bloke who hasn't deserved the vitriol he's had in recent years. This board is so much poorer without him. I might argue with Sludge, but he is a great bloke, funny and I'll never lose my respect for him and I thank him for introducing me to dogging.

What I cannot ignore is that this board feels very alien to me now. I chat to lots of City fans on various platforms. It's always light hearted, even if opinions differ. This board seems anything but that. I think it's telling that none of my close City fans post on here any more. Things are about being right, proving others wrong. I don't care for that level of sneering.

I'm sure there'll be lots telling me to piss off, which would only prove my point. This isn't a decision made on a Sunday after a beer. It's been many weeks in progress. Maybe it's just me getting old.

Nos da.
    I remember there being bellends on here in 2004 or whenever it was.

I think the board still feels relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    I remember there being bellends on here in 2004 or whenever it was.
    Yes, and I'm still here!

Nos da.
    you're a good man Eric, and a great poster, sadly I came to a similar crossroad as you a good while back regarding the general aura of this messageboard, for me it was a fun escape from the mundanity of everyday life, work stresses etc, it hasn't been fun on here for a while, on the contrary there is an awful lot of confrontation, backbiting and one-upmanship, and that's not for me at all.. all the very best Sir

🫡

Sorry to see you go.

Nos da.
    Sadly, your intended absence will tip the balance even more towards to the wind-up merchants and tiresome idiots. Sorry to see you go.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Sadly, your intended absence will tip the balance even more towards to the wind-up merchants and tiresome idiots. Sorry to see you go.
    So anybody who doesn't agree with you is a wind-up merchant and a tiresome idiot? I think this is the reason why Eric is leaving!

Don't be daft Eric

Have a cup of tea , put your feet up and give us a break down of goals from set pieces since Bulut took over

Nos da.
    First of all, thank you for the very kind words Eric, but, more importantly, I’m very sad to see you go as your opinions, which were a much needed counterpoint to some of the happy clappers, were valued very much by me and I hope others. Don’t ever doubt that you were right about recent months - Saturday will hopefully be a turning point as far as the type of football Cardiff City plays goes, a much needed and much appreciated one from my perspective because what we saw in recent home games in particular (eg Millwall, Birmingham,Leicester,Leeds, Preston and Blackburn) was so, so poor in terms of the tactical approach and entertainment value shown by the team.

Also, there is, of course, your stats much of which was delivered with a self mocking humour which I liked - as a statistical nerd, I invariably found them interesting, I’m sure there were those who felt differently, but I’d say that the responses you got said that there were plenty who felt the same way as myself - I’m sure I won’t be the only one who misses them.

You’ve made your decision so I’ll not try to change your mind, but what I will say is that if you ever do that and return you’ll be welcomed back warmly by more than you might expect because posters like you are not ten a penny.

All the best

I’ve been feeling very much the same Eric.

I’ve thought about flouncing the most important (to me) web page that I have been using since I have had access to the internet.
    It’s been a massive comfort blanket at times of mental crisis for me.
    I don’t want to though and I won’t.

New Year, I thought about cutting back my reading, especially the alternative forum as because as good natured and earnest people’s intentions may be, it just ends up in the inevitable hard lines in the sand of total futility.

You shouldn’t let yourself be pushed off because people don’t agree with you, insult you or just wind you up.

It’s not a problem with this forum, but a problem with fellow humans not being able to communicate at the moment without being furious with each other.

The best and busiest forums out there have the same issues.
    At some point I hope that we can get our sense of reasoning and decency back.

In the mean time, I hope you continue to post if I agree with you or not because an echo chamber is no good to anybody.

First Team

Can't say that I was a stats man but so many were and appreciated the work behind them.
    Tend to agree that the tone on here has deteriorated a bit but it would be a shame for you to go.
    Maybe take a little break and come back when ready.
    Fair to say that you will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post

You shouldn’t let yourself be pushed off because people don’t agree with you, insult you or just wind you up.

It’s not a problem with this forum, but a problem with fellow humans not being able to communicate at the moment without being furious with each other.
    I find the ignore function works pretty well.

I enjoy stats and love what you post on here, so for me its such a shame that you've decided to call it a day.
    I also never realised that this place doubled up as a dating site - maybe that's why Sludge is still here.🙂

Sorry to see you go as I've enjoyed your stats.
    I have also noticed some decline in the behaviours of certain posters who can't resist personalised "jibes" at other posters rather than keeping it to the subject in hand.
    Best ignored IMHO but sadly this is why these forums need moderators who can issue bans/suspensions.

Don’t think it’s changed too much in 25 years, maybe society is just too broken these days and people feel it’s ok to voice their opinions or anger on here? Way too much political nonsense which is usually just confined to the other board, did think that was a good idea but maybe it just attracts the wrong so should be done away with? Shame to hear about TLG no longer posting anymore, some were always so keen to pick any old gripe with him. All the best Eric, if you don’t enjoy something in life just ditch it

Sad to hear that Eric, you'll be missed.

I was one of the 'early adopters' when I joined the board way back when.

Now, I dip in and out and try not to get involved into too many arguments.

Maybe it's maturity or not giving a feck, but I now don't feel the need to respond to anyone who disagrees - I don't feel the need to try win an argument.

Maybe reconsider your relationship with the board rather than flouncing off

Anyway, like everything, we all need to do what is best for ourselves and families.

Wishing you the best.

Really sorry to hear this Eric. I agree this is a pretty toxic site a lot of the time. I spend more time now on the Colonel's forum where things are much more light hearted, as this was at one time. I think it's indicative of the problem that squabbles have already started on this thread ironically. You'll be missed.

International

Good luck for the future, it is a shame your stats were good, strange timing just when the football and Bulut are coming good, won four on the bounce, and are moving up the table, top half finish and we've turned a corner on the last four or five terrible seasons.

That’s a shame, I always enjoy the stats. I don’t always agree with what I would class as negativity but then I don’t need to, it would be pretty boring if everyone always agreed.

I’m surprised people have said how toxic it is here, having previously spent a lot of time on the other forum and recently more on X I think it’s quite mellow on here other than a couple of bully boy posters and the spelling police.

All the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    You can say that again

I'll be sorry to see you go Eric. I've enjoyed your statistics very much over the years. Don't let the keyboard warriors grind you down. We all know who they are, and wish it was them leaving the message board.

Enjoy your dogging with Sludgey :) Careful you don't go deaf listening to his choice of "music". Always played at ear splitting level of course, whilst you travel from car park to car park in his trusty Robin Reliant.

That’s a real shame Eric. You will be missed.

ah that's a shame