+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Historically big clubs

Re: Historically big clubs

Ritzy on Queen St was a big club.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    So, playing devil's advocate here, if a bottom division side had 40k crowds every week but had never been close to the top flight in its history, that would be a big club, but a side that spent 20 years in the top division averaging 15k wouldn't be?
    Why would you even do this to yourself

Biggest WUM on CCMB. You already know his answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    You could get lost in that place

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    When we were hopping between the third and fourth our crowds were shocking

Only under Sam did we get decent gates
    Not quite true.

When we won promotion in 1993 we had a higher average attendance than when we had promotion in Hammam's first season in 2000/01. Even the two seasons before Hammam arrived saw not too dissimilar averages to that promotion season.

However, in our promotion attempt in 2001/02, we had our first +10k average since 1976/77, although our attendances fluctuated from 17k to start and end the season, to 8k for a couple of games against unfancied sides after an average run. Our crowds got better as we mounted a promotion push.

Jesus that's a blast from the past - is that one half way up - used to have concerts there as well - always seemed to be trouble there especially people jumping from the balconies onto the dance floor - if it's the one I thinking of

Quote Originally Posted by Packerman View Post
    Sludge. You know **** all about big clubs. Two years ago you assured everyone that West Ham were not a big club and that they would see a large drop off in fans the following year if they struggled, crowds were circa 55000 that season Turns out they struggled all season and didn’t avoid relegation by much. BUT. They home crowds went up to about 60000. Leathered again.
    What I said before west ham moved into the new ground is that they were moving into a 60 k seated stadium which they would struggle to fill if they got relegated

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Actually Portsmouth and Cardiff are very similar with one whole side of the city bordered by sea.
    (They both have hills to the north.)
    Cardiff has its valleys and Portsmouth has its outlying council estates, many of which housed the 'dockies'.
    The big difference in their histories is that Pompey has won significant honours.
    Portsmouth Gosport Fareham Havant , its all joined up , big place

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    Jesus that's a blast from the past - is that one half way up - used to have concerts there as well - always seemed to be trouble there especially people jumping from the balconies onto the dance floor - if it's the one I thinking of
    That's it. Awful place. It had a few names, Ritzy, Studio, Panama Joes, i think it stated life as the Top Rank. It was shit.

So, playing devil's advocate here, if a bottom division side had 40k crowds every week but had never been close to the top flight in its history, that would be a big club, but a side that spent 20 years in the top division averaging 15k wouldn't be?
    I don't think Wigan is a big club but they spent many years in the top flight with small crowds

That's it. Awful place. It had a few names, Ritzy, Studio, Panama Joes, i think it stated life as the Top Rank. It was shit.
    The rank - that's what I thinking of 👍

I used to like Sloane's on Westgate street and also over 21s night in Nero's on Thursdays when I was about 17/18 👍

Feck me I feel old now (because I am)

Not quite true.

When we won promotion in 1993 we had a higher average attendance than when we had promotion in Hammam's first season in 2000/01. Even the two seasons before Hammam arrived saw not too dissimilar averages to that promotion season.

However, in our promotion attempt in 2001/02, we had our first +10k average since 1976/77, although our attendances fluctuated from 17k to start and end the season, to 8k for a couple of games against unfancied sides after an average run. Our crowds got better as we mounted a promotion push.
    I don't know when you started supporting Cardiff City but our years of hopping between the old Division 2 then Division 3 showed that we were not a well supported club

We got some good individual gates under Rick Wright but they were not sustained

We have always been able to pull very big crowds but sustaining them is the problem

Teams like Bristol Rovers , Plymouth and even Swansea were often better supported than us in the old fourth division

We could occasionally get big crowds due to a bit of form and the fact we had a big ground relatively speaking

It's always been this way , I sincerely hope one day we are getting 33000 every week

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    The rank - that's what I thinking of 👍

I used to like Sloane's on Westgate street and also over 21s night in Nero's on Thursdays when I was about 17/18 👍

Feck me I feel old now (because I am)
    Radcliffes Square Club

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    So Pompey are deservedly Div One champions!
    May I suggest that it would behove Tan and his Cardiff management team to examine why this pegasus has risen from the ashes.
    The interview with the owner linked in my last post is illuminating.
    There is also a new appraisal which encapsulates why the club has been successful (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68806890).
    There were almost 20,000 at Fratton Park yesterday and there are ambitious plans to expand the old lady, Fratton Park, to maybe 35,000.
    Great footage online from a drone of the pitch invasion at the end 👍

I don't know when you started supporting Cardiff City but our years of hopping between the old Division 2 then Division 3 showed that we were not a well supported club

We got some good individual gates under Rick Wright but they were not sustained

We have always been able to pull very big crowds but sustaining them is the problem

Teams like Bristol Rovers , Plymouth and even Swansea were often better supported than us in the old fourth division

We could occasionally get big crowds due to a bit of form and the fact we had a big ground relatively speaking

It's always been this way , I sincerely hope one day we are getting 33000 every week
    Crowds in the 80s and 90s were mainly poor but we also know that was across football in the UK, not helped by hooliganism. Wolves had horrific crowds in the 4th tier. Basing any opinions on our attendances on those years is stupid.

We've had 14 seasons at our new stadium and never averaged lower than 16k. Things haven't been as good as this since the 1950s. Next season we'll have more than 16k again.

Crowds in the 80s and 90s were mainly poor but we also know that was across football in the UK, not helped by hooliganism. Wolves had horrific crowds in the 4th tier. Basing any opinions on our attendances on those years is stupid.

We've had 14 seasons at our new stadium and never averaged lower than 16k. Things haven't been as good as this since the 1950s. Next season we'll have more than 16k again.
    Wolves had far bigger crowds than us when we were together in the old Division four

People often say oh Newcastle were only getting 21000 in the eighties

And we were getting 3500 !

crowds were crap .....ours were very crap

Wolves had far bigger crowds than us when we were together in the old Division four

People often say oh Newcastle were only getting 21000 in the eighties

And we were getting 3500 !

crowds were crap .....ours were very crap
    Yes, but Newcastle weren't in the bottom division.

Wolves had barely more than 4k when they were relegated from Div 3 and 5.7k in their first promotion attempt in 1987.

Yes, but Newcastle weren't in the bottom division.

Wolves had barely more than 4k when they were relegated from Div 3 and 5.7k in their first promotion attempt in 1987.
    Even in the old second division we would struggle to get 4500 when the likes of Newcastle were getting 20 k gates , in the same division

Our support just hasn't matched the big clubs historically

When we went up with Pompey in 1983 they got bigger gates

And clubs like Bradford are getting better gates now in division 4 than we were even in 2003 , riding on the crest of a wave with the team safe in a league higher

Why, oh why, did I even click on this thread. So predictable.

Even in the old second division we would struggle to get 4500 when the likes of Newcastle were getting 20 k gates , in the same division

Our support just hasn't matched the big clubs historically

When we went up with Pompey in 1983 they got bigger gates

And clubs like Bradford are getting better gates now in division 4 than we were even in 2003 , riding on the crest of a wave with the team safe in a league higher
    We only ever had one average attendance in the 2nd division below 5k and I'd be interested in the context of the whole of the 70s in terms of attendances.

1969-71 - in two seasons we averaged 21.5k. We then had 3 seasons dodging relegation, before finally succombing to the drop in 1975, averaging 9k. We put nearly 3k on that attendance in winning promotion back at the first attempt (another time we averaged more in a successful 3rd tier season than relegation from the 2nd), then saw crowds drift away in the early 80s, going from nearly 13k to 5.5k in the 2nd division in 5 seasons. Most of those seasons saw us struggle and crowds across the UK dwindled in the 80s, even with some of the biggest teams. Villa's crowd dropped by nearly 20k in 5 seasons after winning the league in 1980/81 as an example.

As for Bradford, you fail to mention many rubbish crowds in the 1990s and even in the mid 2000s. They've obviously got things right, and comparing League 2 with us in 2003 is a completely unfair comparison, given how crowds have kept increasing.

You try at every possibility to put down our support. You reckon I'm negative towards Bulut. You're fecking worse towards our current fans. I feel you can't wait for a crap crowd just so you can mouth off about how shit our support is. You should be disgusted with yourself.

We only ever had one average attendance in the 2nd division below 5k and I'd be interested in the context of the whole of the 70s in terms of attendances.

1969-71 - in two seasons we averaged 21.5k. We then had 3 seasons dodging relegation, before finally succombing to the drop in 1975, averaging 9k. We put nearly 3k on that attendance in winning promotion back at the first attempt (another time we averaged more in a successful 3rd tier season than relegation from the 2nd), then saw crowds drift away in the early 80s, going from nearly 13k to 5.5k in the 2nd division in 5 seasons. Most of those seasons saw us struggle and crowds across the UK dwindled in the 80s, even with some of the biggest teams. Villa's crowd dropped by nearly 20k in 5 seasons after winning the league in 1980/81 as an example.

As for Bradford, you fail to mention many rubbish crowds in the 1990s and even in the mid 2000s. They've obviously got things right, and comparing League 2 with us in 2003 is a completely unfair comparison, given how crowds have kept increasing.

You try at every possibility to put down our support. You reckon I'm negative towards Bulut. You're fecking worse towards our current fans. I feel you can't wait for a crap crowd just so you can mouth off about how shit our support is. You should be disgusted with yourself.

What I try to be is realistic and I never slag off our fans as you erroneously suggest I do , I think you as an occasional fan , even when we were doing well and someone I have never seen away from home are biting off a bit more than you can chew with that

I would love us to have great support but the south wales public just don't back the club in the numbers they should

We have a hardcore of great fans , home and away but we just don't have them in enough numbers

The fans we do have are great

It's the plastic fans who support the plastic clubs and the general apathy of South Wales people that are the problem

What I try to be is realistic and I never slag off our fans as you erroneously suggest I do , I think you as an occasional fan , even when we were doing well and someone I have never seen away from home are biting off a bit more than you can chew with that

I would love us to have great support but the south wales public just don't back the club in the numbers they should

We have a hardcore of great fans , home and away but we just don't have them in enough numbers

It's the plastic fans who support the plastic clubs and the general apathy of South Wales people that are the problem
    There's not a week that goes by where you don't have a go at our general support and you've done it again here.
    Our support is better than it has been since the 1950s. That has to be good.

Not interested in away trips. Haven't been since the last time at Walsall in the early 2000s.

Also, do me a favour and stop talking about the 80s and 90s as if it was the defining moment in City's support.

There's not a week that goes by where you don't have a go at our general support and you've done it again here.
    Our support is better than it has been since the 1950s. That has to be good.

Not interested in away trips. Haven't been since the last time at Walsall in the early 2000s.

Also, do me a favour and stop talking about the 80s and 90s as if it was the defining moment in City's support.
    No I havnt

The fans are great I should know I was there home and away with sometimes 2500

The seventies , eighties , nineties , naughties, sixties , ask your bald shooting mate, the club has never had the support it should have which is the fault of the fans that don't bother not the loyal fans

I know loads of fans who have followed city home and away for decades and still do and often catch up with them

I know who our loyal fans are

Nope. They were in the prem getting circa 55000 when you asserted thier crowds would fall away if they struggled. They did next season and crowds went up to 60000 still say they are not a big club ??

Quote Originally Posted by Packerman View Post
    Nope. They were in the prem getting circa 55000 when you asserted thier crowds would fall away if they struggled. They did next season and crowds went up to 60000 still say they are not a big club ??
    They hadn't even moved into the ground

Struggling does not mean staying in the Premier league, struggling means relegation

If they go down to the championship they won't get the crowds United, Liverpool would get nor Newcastle

In order to become that big club, we need the plastics, the ones that turn up in the PL, at Wembley etc….5 years of success we might keep them for once, but we never do……