Pompey have often been cited in this thread.
As they are my home-town team, I've been following their rise and fall for decades and it might be informative to examine why they seem to be gradually hauling themselves up the leagues.
After their nose-dive to League Two and being taken over by the fans, it became apparent that there was never going to be the money for a proper revival, they sold the club to a Disney executive. He's proved to be excellent - spending dosh improving an old stadium and not throwing huge money to acheive promotion. After about seven years of gradual progress they currently top league one. So that's the first plus point - a careful, enthusiastic owner.
Pompey have had a few managers during this time who have been reasonably backed but although being fairly successful and being given time, they now have a young manager who has turned the corner for them who none of you will have heard of. Second plus point.
The buzz words are STRATEGY = SUCCESS.
And behind it all is the fan base. Fratton Park is usually sold out with around 21,000 raucuous supporters willing their team to win.
Are Pompey a historically BIG club?
They've won the old First Division a few times and the FA cup. When I was a lad, they attracted crowds of 40K. But compared to say, Villa, who have won the European Cup, they are probably in the second tier of big clubs with Derby etc.
If you're interested, there's a recent excellent video interview with the owner which encapsulates his philosophy. Tan would do well to see it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_im...l=PortsmouthFC