+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cardiff City set to lose another youngster to Man City

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cardiff City set to lose another youngster to Man City

Re: Cardiff City set to lose another youngster to Man City

Any of our academy thread experts know who he is?

Quote Originally Posted by Dembe View Post
    Anyone know anything about him.

It says French born but he’s been playing with us since U10s so he might be eligible for Wales

Quick google says he joined us from an under 10's team in Bristol and hes an inner city kid.

Good luck to the boy, could be life changing for him and his family. Not his fault the rules are a joke, wherby the big clubs can just come and take your best talent for 250k and sell them on for millions. Lets hope a decent sell on fee, if any, has been agreed so we dont get stung like when they took Rabbi Matondo.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Quick google says he joined us from an under 10's team in Bristol and hes an inner city kid.

Good luck to the boy. Not his fault the rules are a joke where the big clubs can just come and take your best talent for 250k and sell them on for millions.
    Agree with this.

The rules are the rules and they are a joke but you can't blame the kid going to Man City after seeing their setup.

What we need to do is provide a better offering. The only offering we can do is play these kids in first team football. Play them or take the £250k (which may be a lot more than if they never make it)

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Agree with this.

The rules are the rules and they are a joke but you can't blame the kid going to Man City after seeing their setup.

What we need to do is provide a better offering. The only offering we can do is play these kids in first team football. Play them or take the £250k (which may be a lot more than if they never make it)
    How on earth could we play him in the first team ? He is only 15 !

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    How on earth could we play him in the first team ? He is only 15 !
    Ethan Nwaneri was 15 years, 181 days old when he came on for Arsenal

International

Agree with this.

Seems the new route into football, go to Man City go out on loan to a championship or league one team, get sold for a few million, maybe work your way back up to a lower level premier team.

Good luck to the boy, could be life changing for him and his family. Not his fault the rules are a joke, wherby the big clubs can just come and take your best talent for 250k and sell them on for millions. Lets hope a decent sell on fee, if any, has been agreed so we dont get stung like when they took Rabbi Matondo.
    It’s an absolute joke that they are able to do this to us and many other teams.

It’s probably the worse ruling since the Bosman fiasco , which is another cluster **** beyond comprehension.

Agree.

Sort of on topic (ish) - I meant to ask you the other day. Do you think (if true of course) that Isaak Davies should have gone to Burnley when there was supposed interest? My view is that he should have. May have made a big difference to both him and the club. We won't know. But, in light of events at CCFC since, just interested in your take as I know you have followed his career closely.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Agree.

Sort of on topic (ish) - I meant to ask you the other day. Do you think (if true of course) that Isaak Davies should have gone to Burnley when there was supposed interest? My view is that he should have. May have made a big difference to both him and the club. We won't know. But, in light of events at CCFC since, just interested in your take as I know you have followed his career closely.
    Probably in hindsight for his own career it woukd have been better if hed made the move. However, hes a local lad, whos family are City supporters, hes been with the club since hes 7 or 8, and it was probably his dream to play for City. Hed broken into the team the last year or so and along with Colwill it finally looked they were the two from the academy most likley to become regulars for the first team. Last season obviusly didnt play out as planned in the end for one reason or other, i dont hink injuries helped and then hes been frozen out by Bulut without being given much of a chance pre-season.

From what I hear and the snippets of interviews ive seen hes absolutely loving it out in Belgium. Will we ever see him a City shirt again? I have my doubts. Even if Bulut has a change of heart will Davies want to come back and play a bit part now hes getting regular first team action and played in his preffered position.

Probably in hindsight for his own career it woukd have been better if hed made the move. However, hes a local lad, whos family are City supporters, hes been with the club since hes 7 or 8, and it was probably his dream to play for City. Hed broken into the team the last year or so and along with Colwill it finally looked they were the two from the academy most likley to become regulars for the first team. Last season obviusly didnt play out as planned in the end for one reason or other, i dont hink injuries helped and then hes been frozen out by Bulut without being given much of a chance pre-season.

From what I hear and the snippets of interviews ive seen hes absolutely loving it out in Belgium. Will we ever see him a City shirt again? I have my doubts. Even if Bulut has a change of heart will Davies want to come back and play a bit part now hes getting regular first team action and played in his preffered position.
    Where would Isaak fit in this current system?

Where would Isaak fit in this current system?
    He probably wouldnt as Bulut likes someone bigger upfront as the lone striker but that wasnt the question I was asked.

Cheers for that. It's great that he's loving Belgium. I think from just a non-football point of view, it's great he's getting that life experience too.

Re. him not fitting into a Bulut team. Yeah. Agree. I think there are a few Championship clubs that he'd get first-team football with. Same for Colwill (I know he's getting it now but I still think there's been a lot of wasted years for both players with us). We don't seem to appreciate them as much as we should early on and by the time we do get them playing, it never feels right. I know I'm being subjective and I can't really back it up other than it's just a feeling.

Re. some of the other things going on in this thread (which is a really good discussion and very interesting - I'm learning a lot) this popped into my inbox as I was reading your answers and the rest of the poster's comments. It seems a far cry from Man City looking after players the way they do and must be a factor in decision-making. I may be getting the wrong end of the stick here but isn't this kind of like the George Best days or am I missing something?

https://newsletter.cardiffcityfc.co....hALi_-IvDMfp5A

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Cheers for that. It's great that he's loving Belgium. I think from just a non-football point of view, it's great he's getting that life experience too.

Re. him not fitting into a Bulut team. Yeah. Agree. I think there are a few Championship clubs that he'd get first-team football with. Same for Colwill (I know he's getting it now but I still think there's been a lot of wasted years for both players with us). We don't seem to appreciate them as much as we should early on and by the time we do get them playing, it never feels right. I know I'm being subjective and I can't really back it up other than it's just a feeling.

Re. some of the other things going on in this thread (which is a really good discussion and very interesting - I'm learning a lot) this popped into my inbox as I was reading your answers and the rest of the poster's comments. It seems a far cry from Man City looking after players the way they do and must be a factor in decision-making. I may be getting the wrong end of the stick here but isn't this kind of like the George Best days or am I missing something?

https://newsletter.cardiffcityfc.co....hALi_-IvDMfp5A
    I’ve not seen a huge amount of Davies, I really thought he was going to be the next big thing but then he had a few injuries I think and didn’t really push on.

Why could he not fit into the Grant role though under Bulut?

I appreciate how it works, it works in our favour too as we got Joe Ralls at 16 didn't we!

I just think it's unfair, even though we can use the same system. Man City have got him because they "don't have enough options at that age group in his position" or words to that effect. So they're basically stockpiling and they'll cast 99 percent of them off, although if he's any good he's obviously in a better place to develop so you can see why they'd be sold on it.

Does anyone know if it's just that fee you get or do they include a sell on percentage? I have a feeling these deals are geared more towards the big team in the deal..

It was mentioned on the long running thread about the Development and Academy teams yesterday and the point was made that he's the fourth player we've lost to the big clubs in the last eighteen months or so - if it's happening to us, there has to be every chance that it's much the same for all other EFL clubs with expensive Academy's to run. All of this of course while the likes of Man City have reneged on a deal which was due to paid in September to EFL clubs by those in the Premier League.

As for the player we're apparently getting £250k for, I'd never heard of him until yesterday.

Should be a sell on clause or increments based on future first team appearances, £250,000 is peanuts in the big picture. Not getting a payout on Gareth Bale’s subsequent transfers was a bitter pill to swallow.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    It was mentioned on the long running thread about the Development and Academy teams yesterday and the point was made that he's the fourth player we've lost to the big clubs in the last eighteen months or so - if it's happening to us, there has to be every chance that it's much the same for all other EFL clubs with expensive Academy's to run. All of this of course while the likes of Man City have reneged on a deal which was due to paid in September to EFL clubs by those in the Premier League.

As for the player we're apparently getting £250k for, I'd never heard of him until yesterday.
    Only going to get worse thanks to Brexit. This was called out by Kieran Maguire years ago.

Scottish clubs looking at offering pro-contracts at 14 to try to stop it.

Agree with this.

We're never going to consistently be able to keep players from going to PL clubs unless we become an established PL team

The trouble is when a team has a unlimited pot of money, they can offer schoolboy terms to anyone they like, great for the boy and his parents, but whats the chances of this lad being just another face, ending up on loan at a non-league club and discarded in 10 years

something needs to be done, maybe schoolboy terms need to be with a team within a certain distance from your home / school ( easy to get around buy moving the player and parents, but a little more costly )

Maybe those who know more than me can say but I read these things and think why not just close the academy. It just cost a few million a year to run? Spent 2m on a decent young up and coming player every year, we would probably end up with more.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Maybe those who know more than me can say but I read these things and think why not just close the academy. It just cost a few million a year to run? Spent 2m on a decent young up and coming player every year, we would probably end up with more.
    It's a really good question. I'd like to know the answer to that too. I don't understand the system well enough. On the face of it, what you suggest makes sense. I hope people can shed more light on this.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    There is that school of thought, but your recruitment needs to be a lot better than ours has been to make it viable. Brentford got rid of their academy and concentrated on recruitment but they had some of the best of recruitment and statisticians working for them with their rise up the leagues.

Also, our location probably doesnt help us in that respect. Brentford could cherry pick some of the best talent from those released by the bigger London clubs. Chris Mepham was with Chelsea as a youngster, got released and Brentford picked him up.

Eze got released by acadmeys of several clubs around the London area - Arsenal, Fulham, Reading, Milwall - before QPR signed him at 18 and sold to Palace for 17m 4 years later.

Im sure if it was that simple most club owners would be doing it rather than running an expensive academy.

There is that school of thought, but your recruitment needs to be a lot better than ours has been to make it viable. Brentford got rid of their academy and concentrated on recruitment but they had some of the best of recruitment and statisticians working for them with their rise up the leagues.

Also, our location probably doesnt help us in that respect. Brentford could cherry pick some of the best talent from those released by the bigger London clubs. Chris Mepham was with Chelsea as a youngster, got released and Brentford picked him up.

Eze got released by acadmeys of several clubs around the London area - Arsenal, Fulham, Reading, Milwall - before QPR signed him at 18 and sold to Palace for 17m 4 years later.

Im sure if it was that simple most club owners would be doing it rather than running an expensive academy.
    Seems Brentford would have been breaking Premier League rules by continting not to have an Academy.

https://www.brentfordfc.com/en/news/...o-open-academy

Huddersfield closed their Academy a few years back and have restructured in a similar way to Brentford - I like the idea of using the calendar year, rather than the academic one, for categorising their age group teams.

https://www.htafc.com/academy/