+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cardiff City set to lose another youngster to Man City

Cardiff City set to lose another youngster to Man City

Re: Cardiff City set to lose another youngster to Man City

Any of our academy thread experts know who he is?

Quote Originally Posted by Dembe View Post
    Anyone know anything about him.

It says French born but he’s been playing with us since U10s so he might be eligible for Wales

Quick google says he joined us from an under 10's team in Bristol and hes an inner city kid.

Good luck to the boy, could be life changing for him and his family. Not his fault the rules are a joke, wherby the big clubs can just come and take your best talent for 250k and sell them on for millions. Lets hope a decent sell on fee, if any, has been agreed so we dont get stung like when they took Rabbi Matondo.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Quick google says he joined us from an under 10's team in Bristol and hes an inner city kid.

Good luck to the boy. Not his fault the rules are a joke where the big clubs can just come and take your best talent for 250k and sell them on for millions.
    Agree with this.

The rules are the rules and they are a joke but you can't blame the kid going to Man City after seeing their setup.

What we need to do is provide a better offering. The only offering we can do is play these kids in first team football. Play them or take the £250k (which may be a lot more than if they never make it)

It was mentioned on the long running thread about the Development and Academy teams yesterday and the point was made that he's the fourth player we've lost to the big clubs in the last eighteen months or so - if it's happening to us, there has to be every chance that it's much the same for all other EFL clubs with expensive Academy's to run. All of this of course while the likes of Man City have reneged on a deal which was due to paid in September to EFL clubs by those in the Premier League.

As for the player we're apparently getting £250k for, I'd never heard of him until yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Agree with this.

The rules are the rules and they are a joke but you can't blame the kid going to Man City after seeing their setup.

What we need to do is provide a better offering. The only offering we can do is play these kids in first team football. Play them or take the £250k (which may be a lot more than if they never make it)
    How on earth could we play him in the first team ? He is only 15 !

Should be a sell on clause or increments based on future first team appearances, £250,000 is peanuts in the big picture. Not getting a payout on Gareth Bale’s subsequent transfers was a bitter pill to swallow.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    It was mentioned on the long running thread about the Development and Academy teams yesterday and the point was made that he's the fourth player we've lost to the big clubs in the last eighteen months or so - if it's happening to us, there has to be every chance that it's much the same for all other EFL clubs with expensive Academy's to run. All of this of course while the likes of Man City have reneged on a deal which was due to paid in September to EFL clubs by those in the Premier League.

As for the player we're apparently getting £250k for, I'd never heard of him until yesterday.
    Only going to get worse thanks to Brexit. This was called out by Kieran Maguire years ago.

Scottish clubs looking at offering pro-contracts at 14 to try to stop it.

Agree with this.

We're never going to consistently be able to keep players from going to PL clubs unless we become an established PL team

Good luck to the boy, could be life changing for him and his family. Not his fault the rules are a joke, wherby the big clubs can just come and take your best talent for 250k and sell them on for millions. Lets hope a decent sell on fee, if any, has been agreed so we dont get stung like when they took Rabbi Matondo.
    It’s an absolute joke that they are able to do this to us and many other teams.

It’s probably the worse ruling since the Bosman fiasco , which is another cluster **** beyond comprehension.

Agree.

Sort of on topic (ish) - I meant to ask you the other day. Do you think (if true of course) that Isaak Davies should have gone to Burnley when there was supposed interest? My view is that he should have. May have made a big difference to both him and the club. We won't know. But, in light of events at CCFC since, just interested in your take as I know you have followed his career closely.

The trouble is when a team has a unlimited pot of money, they can offer schoolboy terms to anyone they like, great for the boy and his parents, but whats the chances of this lad being just another face, ending up on loan at a non-league club and discarded in 10 years

something needs to be done, maybe schoolboy terms need to be with a team within a certain distance from your home / school ( easy to get around buy moving the player and parents, but a little more costly )

Maybe those who know more than me can say but I read these things and think why not just close the academy. It just cost a few million a year to run? Spent 2m on a decent young up and coming player every year, we would probably end up with more.

There should be a rule making it compulsory for the purchasing clubs to include really decent sell-on clauses when they sign players too young for professional contracts who've been with the selling club for more than a couple of years. Could be a sliding scale based on how long they've been with the academy.

£250k is nothing to Man City. How many of these players do they and the other big teams hoover up every year, with the possibility that they'll either make it and play for them or they'll sell them for a tidy profit? The big clubs get bigger, the small clubs stay small.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Maybe those who know more than me can say but I read these things and think why not just close the academy. It just cost a few million a year to run? Spent 2m on a decent young up and coming player every year, we would probably end up with more.
    It's a really good question. I'd like to know the answer to that too. I don't understand the system well enough. On the face of it, what you suggest makes sense. I hope people can shed more light on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Agree.

Sort of on topic (ish) - I meant to ask you the other day. Do you think (if true of course) that Isaak Davies should have gone to Burnley when there was supposed interest? My view is that he should have. May have made a big difference to both him and the club. We won't know. But, in light of events at CCFC since, just interested in your take as I know you have followed his career closely.
    Probably in hindsight for his own career it woukd have been better if hed made the move. However, hes a local lad, whos family are City supporters, hes been with the club since hes 7 or 8, and it was probably his dream to play for City. Hed broken into the team the last year or so and along with Colwill it finally looked they were the two from the academy most likley to become regulars for the first team. Last season obviusly didnt play out as planned in the end for one reason or other, i dont hink injuries helped and then hes been frozen out by Bulut without being given much of a chance pre-season.

From what I hear and the snippets of interviews ive seen hes absolutely loving it out in Belgium. Will we ever see him a City shirt again? I have my doubts. Even if Bulut has a change of heart will Davies want to come back and play a bit part now hes getting regular first team action and played in his preffered position.

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    There should be a rule making it compulsory for the purchasing clubs to include really decent sell-on clauses when they sign players too young for professional contracts who've been with the selling club for more than a couple of years. Could be a sliding scale based on how long they've been with the academy.

£250k is nothing to Man City. How many of these players do they and the other big teams hoover up every year, with the possibility that they'll either make it and play for them or they'll sell them for a tidy profit? The big clubs get bigger, the small clubs stay small.
    Man City and Chelsea just stock pile players to sell on for profit. The players they really think can make the first team will have been on their books from a young age, or the top foreign talent they sign from other European clubs. In my opinion when they are signing 15 year olds from lower league acadmeys its with sole purpose of making a profit on the 250k they need to fork out (and probably another £400k to buy the family a nice house and car and move them to the area).

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    There is that school of thought, but your recruitment needs to be a lot better than ours has been to make it viable. Brentford got rid of their academy and concentrated on recruitment but they had some of the best of recruitment and statisticians working for them with their rise up the leagues.

Also, our location probably doesnt help us in that respect. Brentford could cherry pick some of the best talent from those released by the bigger London clubs. Chris Mepham was with Chelsea as a youngster, got released and Brentford picked him up.

Eze got released by acadmeys of several clubs around the London area - Arsenal, Fulham, Reading, Milwall - before QPR signed him at 18 and sold to Palace for 17m 4 years later.

Im sure if it was that simple most club owners would be doing it rather than running an expensive academy.

On the face of it we are losing our up and coming talent to the big boys but I wonder if we benefit in terms of access to loan players from these clubs - JWE for example?

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    It's a really good question. I'd like to know the answer to that too. I don't understand the system well enough. On the face of it, what you suggest makes sense. I hope people can shed more light on this.
    Is it possible to work out an average cost of developing players to a certain age and that being the baseline figure the big boys have to pay - that would be fairer system

Or not allow youngsters to move until they are at the same age we can offer them a professional contract so they have a choice ??? Or does that not work either

It seems like in most things in life it is geared to the rich to keep getting richer and have the power over the small guy

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    How on earth could we play him in the first team ? He is only 15 !
    Ethan Nwaneri was 15 years, 181 days old when he came on for Arsenal

Probably in hindsight for his own career it woukd have been better if hed made the move. However, hes a local lad, whos family are City supporters, hes been with the club since hes 7 or 8, and it was probably his dream to play for City. Hed broken into the team the last year or so and along with Colwill it finally looked they were the two from the academy most likley to become regulars for the first team. Last season obviusly didnt play out as planned in the end for one reason or other, i dont hink injuries helped and then hes been frozen out by Bulut without being given much of a chance pre-season.

From what I hear and the snippets of interviews ive seen hes absolutely loving it out in Belgium. Will we ever see him a City shirt again? I have my doubts. Even if Bulut has a change of heart will Davies want to come back and play a bit part now hes getting regular first team action and played in his preffered position.
    Where would Isaak fit in this current system?

Man City and Chelsea just stock pile players to sell on for profit. The players they really think can make the first team will have been on their books from a young age, or the top foreign talent they sign from other European clubs. In my opinion when they are signing 15 year olds from lower league acadmeys its with sole purpose of making a profit on the 250k they need to fork out (and probably another £400k to buy the family a nice house and car and move them to the area).
    So why not make it compulsory that any player that has compensation payout automatically has a 50% sell on clause?

So why not make it compulsory that any player that has compensation payout automatically has a 50% sell on clause?
    Any change to the rules would probably require the votes of the likes of man city so would not get through similar to the distribution of wealth issue that keeps getting kicked down the road as they don't want to give it away and I am assuming if we had any stay at the top table we would think the same way