+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: CASH IS KING !!!!!! Confirmed

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: CASH IS KING !!!!!! Confirmed

Don't use cash any more

Another thing about new technology is that kids aren’t able to add up, subtract or tell the time from a clock or watch. Pretty sad really.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Another thing about new technology is that kids aren’t able to add up, subtract or tell the time from a clock or watch. Pretty sad really.
    Indeed..I agree.....I still make my two young sons learn their times table.....read a non digital clock etc..>!!!.

I had to set up the email on my manager's phone the other week. It works both ways.

There's plenty of posters on here who can't add up or spell, so I wouldn't say that's limited to young people either! Young people have it harder than ever, how about we cut them some slack?!

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    I had to set up the email on my manager's phone the other week. It works both ways.

There's plenty of posters on here who can't add up or spell, so I wouldn't say that's limited to young people either! Young people have it harder than ever, how about we cut them some slack?!
    Maybe the posters on here with poor arithmetic skills aren’t’ working behind a counter. Bar and shop staff seem to prefer customers tapping a card or a phone rather than having to work out how much change to give out of a tenner. As I say, it’s quite sad, simple maths is a thing that every person should be capable of. We’re heading for a world with a majority of unfortunates who’ve been press ganged into relying totally on technology for the simplest of things. It isn’t a good thing, the human brain needs constant activity not beep, beep, beep otherwise we’re f*cked.
    It seems crackers to my generation that the teacher is ridiculed for doing his/her job, ie correcting wrong spelling or maths. Or is it that mythical ‘those in power’ are quite happy to lord it over nations of thickos? Perhaps, not so mythical.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post

You're right, but in the sense that through no fault of their own - this is what they have been born into and growing up with. I suspect if this technology had been around when I was a teenager in the sixties I would have been in the same position. I grew up using mental arithmetic wherever possible (which I still do) and log tables and a slide rule where not!

I probably won't be around much longer but I do worry for the future for my grandchildren in our "Brave New World".

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    You're right, but in the sense that through no fault of their own - this is what they have been born into and growing up with. I suspect if this technology had been around when I was a teenager in the sixties I would have been in the same position. I grew up using mental arithmetic wherever possible (which I still do) and log tables and a slide rule where not!

I probably won't be around much longer but I do worry for the future for my grandchildren in our "Brave New World".
    Using mental arithmetic was the norm for all walks of life until the tap, beep, beep revolution. The old barmaids were a prime example, Christ, they’d be able to serve about four punters at once, with the four pints in different stages of ‘fullness’, whilst taking the money and working out four different amounts of change, remarkable skill really. Also, off point, they knew who was next to be served, solving the argument their side of the bar. It’s shite knowing your turn and some ignorant bugger muscles in before you and the bar person serves them through not having a clue how to ‘work the bar.

Using mental arithmetic was the norm for all walks of life until the tap, beep, beep revolution. The old barmaids were a prime example, Christ, they’d be able to serve about four punters at once, with the four pints in different stages of ‘fullness’, whilst taking the money and working out four different amounts of change, remarkable skill really. Also, off point, they knew who was next to be served, solving the argument their side of the bar. It’s shite knowing your turn and some ignorant bugger muscles in before you and the bar person serves them through not having a clue how to ‘work the bar.
    I have to smile inwardly when I give the "odd" change in addition to a £5 or £10 note, e.g. for say £5.30 I give a £10 note (if that's all I have) plus 30p so the assistant simply has to give me a £5 note back. The look on his/her face as if to say..."how did you know that" when the till display tells them to give me a fiver change!

I have to smile inwardly when I give the "odd" change in addition to a £5 or £10 note, e.g. for say £5.30 I give a £10 note (if that's all I have) plus 30p so the assistant simply has to give me a £5 note back. The look on his/her face as if to say..."how did you know that" when the till display tells them to give me a fiver change!
    Smug.

A few years back I was working in Rumney, I had a young lad helping me, great kid. And I had a mate, who had a lorry, clearing site for me. We got talking about the ‘odd’ when buying something, the young lad was absolutely baffled, couldn’t get his head around you giving change with a note to the server over the price of what you were buying. Anyway, I had to nip out for something or other, when I came back my lorry driver mate was on one side of the wall giving the young lad, who was on the other side, a tenner with change. He was actually acting out a shop/pub scene to illustrate what we were on about and how it made the server’s job easier and prevented you from walking around with a pocket full of smash. Pubs and shops used to love this, as it gave them more change in the till for further transactions. Did the youngster get it? Did he f*ck