+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Kortrijk

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Kortrijk

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I see the game finished 1-1 - perhaps Loramski can explain what this means for Kortrijk’s chances of staying up? Considering they finished bottom of the league, I’m guessing not a lot.
    Further to that, I’m assuming they didn’t scramble clear of the bottom at the end of the regular season?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Further to that, I’m assuming they didn’t scramble clear of the bottom at the end of the regular season?

They finished bottom but one in the regular season and this is how the playoffs work.

Relegation Play-offs

The bottom four teams after the regular season play the Relegation Play-offs, a round-robin tournament in which they start with the full points obtained during the regular season. The teams finishing in third and fourth at the conclusion of the Relegation Play-offs will be relegated to the 2024–25 Challenger Pro League, the team finishing in second place has to play the winner of the Promotion Play-offs, with the winner of that match playing in the 2024–25 Belgian Pro League.

Pos Team Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts Qualification or relegation CHA EUP KVK RWD
    1 Charleroi 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 30 — 21 Apr 11 May 0–0
    2 Eupen 1 0 1 0 1 1 0 25 Qualification for the Promotion/relegation play-offs 26 Apr — 1–1 11 May
    3 Kortrijk 1 0 1 0 1 1 0 25 Relegation to Challenger Pro League 14 Apr 5 May — 21 Apr
    4 RWD Molenbeek 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 24 4 May 13 Apr 28 Apr —
    Updated to match(es) played on 7 April 2024. Source: Jupiler Pro League (in Dutch), Soccerway
    Rules for classification: 1) Points; 2) Regular season finishing position.[39]
    Promotion/relegation play-offs

The promotion/relegation play-offs are contested by the teams finishing in positions 3 to 6 in the 2023–24 Challenger Pro League, who meet in a knockout tournament with both semi-finals and a final over two legs and the highest season finisher always having home advantage in the return leg. The winner of the final plays the 14th place finisher of the 2023–24 Belgian Pro League over two legs. The Belgian Pro League team has home advantage in the return leg, the winner of the barrage will play in the 2024–25 Belgian Pro League, the loser in the 2024–25 Challenger Pro League.

Quote Originally Posted by Rontomuk View Post
    They finished bottom but one in the regular season and this is how the playoffs work.

Relegation Play-offs

The bottom four teams after the regular season play the Relegation Play-offs, a round-robin tournament in which they start with the full points obtained during the regular season. The teams finishing in third and fourth at the conclusion of the Relegation Play-offs will be relegated to the 2024–25 Challenger Pro League, the team finishing in second place has to play the winner of the Promotion Play-offs, with the winner of that match playing in the 2024–25 Belgian Pro League.

Pos Team Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts Qualification or relegation CHA EUP KVK RWD
    1 Charleroi 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 30 — 21 Apr 11 May 0–0
    2 Eupen 1 0 1 0 1 1 0 25 Qualification for the Promotion/relegation play-offs 26 Apr — 1–1 11 May
    3 Kortrijk 1 0 1 0 1 1 0 25 Relegation to Challenger Pro League 14 Apr 5 May — 21 Apr
    4 RWD Molenbeek 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 24 4 May 13 Apr 28 Apr —
    Updated to match(es) played on 7 April 2024. Source: Jupiler Pro League (in Dutch), Soccerway
    Rules for classification: 1) Points; 2) Regular season finishing position.[39]
    Promotion/relegation play-offs

The promotion/relegation play-offs are contested by the teams finishing in positions 3 to 6 in the 2023–24 Challenger Pro League, who meet in a knockout tournament with both semi-finals and a final over two legs and the highest season finisher always having home advantage in the return leg. The winner of the final plays the 14th place finisher of the 2023–24 Belgian Pro League over two legs. The Belgian Pro League team has home advantage in the return leg, the winner of the barrage will play in the 2024–25 Belgian Pro League, the loser in the 2024–25 Challenger Pro League.
    Thanks, I actually understand that much more than I did Loramski's explanation

It looks to me then that, given Charleroi have a five point advantage, the best Kortrijk can realistically hope for is to play a team from the second tier with the winner playing in the top flight next season, so it would seem to me that drawing away at a team which finished above you in the table (albeit only on goal difference) is a decent start to the competition - win their home games against Molenbeek and Eupen and they should get second place.