+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bristol City My Arse

Bristol City My Arse

I find it laughable when people try to suggest Bristol and not Swansea are our main rivals

It's actually quite embarrassing

And it makes us look so pathetic when we try to pretend it means more to them than us

Re: Bristol City My Arse

It does mean more to Swansea though. Always has. Not saying it doesn’t mean much to Cardiff, but it means a helluva lot more to Swansea.

Quote Originally Posted by stevo View Post
    It does mean more to Swansea though. Always has. Not saying it doesn’t mean much to Cardiff, but it means a helluva lot more to Swansea.
    My view is it means just as much to us as fans but the club is arrogant about the fixture in some ways or on the flipside seems to totally freeze

I think losing a close game is fair enough , it happens in local derby's all over the country

But lying down and getting battered is not acceptable

The fans who try to deflect another defeat with the claim Bristol City is the big one are clearly on a wind up or in need of a doctor

Agree with that.Cardiff just didn’t turn up today. And that’s unacceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    My view is it means just as much to us as fans but the club is arrogant about the fixture in some ways or on the flipside seems to totally freeze

I think losing a close game is fair enough , it happens in local derby's all over the country

The fans who try to deflect another defeat with the claim Bristol City is the big one are clearly on a wind up or in need of a doctor
    If it’s one or the other I’d put it down to constantly freezing on the day. I don’t think there’s any doubt it means more to them. They are obsessed.

Hear, hear!

I find it laughable when people try to suggest Bristol and not Swansea are our main rivals

And it makes us look so pathetic when we try to pretend it means more to them than us
    Sorry for not fitting in with your version of how I should be thinking. I’m sure I would do if I were your age and was from a place where Swansea was much nearer than Bristol. The trouble is I’m from a place which is equidistant from the two cities and I never saw us play Swanseain a league game until I was twenty three despite being someone who went to most home games from the age of ten onwards. Swansea weren’t good enough to play us in the league during my formative years- using your thinking, I should have Newport as our main rivals, we never used to play them in the league when I was growing up and they’re much closer to Cardiff than Swansea is.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Sorry for not fitting in with your version of how I should be thinking. I’m sure I would do if I were your age and was from a place where Swansea was much nearer than Bristol. The trouble is I’m from a place which is equidistant from the two cities and I never saw us play Swanseain a league game until I was twenty three despite being someone who went to most home games from the age of ten onwards. Swansea weren’t good enough to play us in the league during my formative years- using your thinking, I should have Newport as our main rivals, we never used to play them in the league when I was growing up and they’re much closer to Cardiff than Swansea is.
    You are kidding yourself bob

Quote Originally Posted by stevo View Post
    Agree with that.Cardiff just didn’t turn up today. And that’s unacceptable.
    They didn’t show up at ours either though for once, unusual.

I have never really understood why at a Wales England rugger game there is pure and utter hatred aimed at England, It has taken a life of its own over the last thirty years. I believe Swansea has taken that mindset onto Cardiff as it's a rivalry for Cardiff, but much deeper for Swansea.

Quote Originally Posted by llan bluebird View Post
    I have never really understood why at a Wales England rugger game there is pure and utter hatred aimed at England, It has taken a life of its own over the last thirty years. I believe Swansea has taken that mindset onto Cardiff as it's a rivalry for Cardiff, but much deeper for Swansea.
    I think that the hatred at Sunderland for Newcastle and Pompey for Southampton is the same

I definitely think that our lot hate Swansea as much as they hate us wether it's appropriate in 2024 is debatable but Bristol City are definitely down the pecking order

You very very occasionally speak to a fellow Cardiff fan who says he doesn't dislike Swansea or admires the way they play football or they are a fellow Welsh team etc etc but I take that with a pinch of salt

For me it's Bristol but not by much. I didn't see us play Swansea as a kid but remember a few matches against Bristol which were edgy to say the least.

Similar to Bristol for years I haven't known a Swansea fan personally or even an acquaintance until someone from work moved here few months back. He's a Swansea/ Liverpool fan that joins in more with the Liverpool chat than anything else. I don't expect much banter.

I've worked briefly in both Swansea and Bristol, for obvious reasons the Swansea fans were far more outspoken of their dislike for our club.

Most were lovely people that I got on with whilst there and It did strike me that a few really disliked the city itself because of the funding it gets. I wasn't too aware of this and I'm sure there are other places that would feel that way about Swansea.

Overall my opinion is both are pretty crap derbies, 40 miles isn't ideal, particularly for the size of the clubs and the reach they get. I'd imagine if you lived somewhere closer to Swansea you would get a completely different experience though.

But it's what we have and we should embrace it more. Perhaps we would all love it more if they weren't so good at them.

3/4 derby wins, only 2 goals conceded. I'd have laughed my cock off if that was suggested pre season.

Excellent and spot on!

Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by The Prophet of Doom View Post
    Excellent and spot on!
    Since around 1980 Swansea City have dominated South Wales football with a spell of 7 years in the top flight and a major trophy

For a tiny minority Bristol City might be the team they really want to beat but it really is a tiny minority

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Agreed.
    So after yesterday's shambles you would have been more bothered if it had been Bristol City who had handed out a footballing lesson ?

I find that extremely hard to take seriously

Sludge once again failing to grasp different people have different opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Sludge once again failing to grasp different people have different opinions.
    I accept people have different opinions but when we lose a local Derby so convincingly and the talk is oh it's Swanseas Cup final , they hate us more than they love their own team and the Bristol are our biggest rivals story gets trotted out it provides endless laughs for the jacks

It's embarrassing and it appears you are joining in

What right do you have to tell people how they should feel and think?

Since around 1980 Swansea City have dominated South Wales football with a spell of 7 years in the top flight and a major trophy

For a tiny minority Bristol City might be the team they really want to beat but it really is a tiny minority
    Dominated South Welsh football? They were in the dungeon with us for most of the time. We beat them in the PL. They won the League Cup against Bradford. We lost on penalties to LIVERPOOL. AND we got to an FA Cup final. Get a ****ing grip.

Apart from this message board I've never seen it discussed anywhere else at all. Probably shows how old this message board is and how old most users are. Nobody under 35 uses message boards.

And anyone under 60 would say swansea straight away.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Dominated South Welsh football? They were in the dungeon with us for most of the time. We beat them in the PL. They won the League Cup against Bradford. We lost on penalties to LIVERPOOL. AND we got to an FA Cup final. Get a ****ing grip.

They spent 7 years in the top flight

They won a trophy

You are being silly now

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    What right do you have to tell people how they should feel and think?
    I am stating facts

Bristol City are not even on the radar and we give Swansea bucketloads of joy suggesting otherwise

Only facts in your head you total myopic bellend

Quote Originally Posted by Packerman View Post
    Only facts in your head you total myopic bellend
    Now come on if you think Bristol City are our rivals you need to have a stiff drink