+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Swansea's Union Jacks and red hand flags

Swansea's Union Jacks and red hand flags

Can anyone explain their fascination with it?

Do the Swansea fans support Wales?

International

Re: Swansea's Union Jacks and red hand flags

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post

Anti Wales because we are their Capital and get everything?

Got sent this link on Saturday.

https://redhandtshirtcompany.com/col...les-collection

Who buys this crap?

They've always had a few loyalist whoppers but it does seem to be becoming ingrained within a sizeable amount of their support.

It's a cry for help really.

You can kind of understand the union jacks (still a little strange) as backlash to Cardiff being the capital, we get everything etc but the loyalist stuff is really weird. What's next UVF and UDA flags at their games? Marches in July? Really odd and it's definitely growing

I wonder what their fans from places like Carmarthenshire think of it all

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Got sent this link on Saturday.

https://redhandtshirtcompany.com/col...les-collection

Who buys this crap?

They've always had a few loyalist whoppers but it does seem to be becoming ingrained within a sizeable amount of their support.

It's a cry for help really.
    Really f*cking weird. I really don't get why you'd want to be associated with any of that stuff

What's weird as well is the club seem to lean into it a little. Orange away kits, that bizarre union jack pattern on the shirts

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    You can kind of understand the union jacks (still a little strange) as backlash to Cardiff being the capital, we get everything etc but the loyalist stuff is really weird. What's next UVF and UDA flags at their games? Marches in July? Really odd and it's definitely growing

I wonder what their fans from places like Carmarthenshire think of it all
    We should play The Foggy Dew before the next derby at our place

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    We should play The Foggy Dew before the next derby at our place

Come out ye black and tans, invite Gerry Adams as the club's official guest, special edition balaclavas. The works

They just don't like the preferential treatment and attention that Cardiff gets, so they like to think of their capital as being, erm, London.

Most decent Swansea fans don't have anything to do with the minority of right wing idiots

But .....with regard to the union jacks its a pun or play on their nickname and a wind up of Wales predominantly cardiff support

They definitely support Wales

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Most decent Swansea fans don't have anything to do with the minority of right wing idiots

But .....with regard to the union jacks its a pun or play on their nickname and a wind up of Wales predominantly cardiff support

They definitely support Wales
    Strange, I find myself in agreement with you a lot recently.

If we were to fly white coloured flags, they'd feel compelled to fly black flags. That's how that lot are.

Would some kind soul please explain their flag on Saturday "buy your own fxcking glue"? Was it meant to be ironic or just weird?

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    Would some kind soul please explain their flag on Saturday "buy your own fxcking glue"? Was it meant to be ironic or just weird?
    It's a quote from Twin Town

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    It's a quote from Twin Town
    Thank you...I'll investigate further now.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    They just don't like the preferential treatment and attention that Cardiff gets, so they like to think of their capital as being, erm, London.
    That can't be their reasoning surely. As you suggest, we basically get the crumbs from London anyway.

I don't personally have many good things to say about the WG but I don't believe Swansea was any less forgotten about prior to devolution.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post

Not really, certainly not the ones that display those flags. Too scared too, so they chose another path

I always thought it was the ‘Jack’ thing and probably a nod to the unionist theme they have going.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    That can't be their reasoning surely. As you suggest, we basically get the crumbs from London anyway.

I don't personally have many good things to say about the WG but I don't believe Swansea was any less forgotten about prior to devolution.
    I don't know tbh. I just felt like typing it

I had a friend in Carmarthen who was a jack . His brother was too. We were having a conversation about going to a wales game or something about the internationals and I remember his brother feeling a bit peturbed by this and saying "Aren't we supposed to support england?"..... The comment made me think that there must be an undercurrent of weird british/english nationalism going on at swansea...he said it as if it were obvious that a swansea fan should support england. This was about three decades ago.

They remind me of the people in American History X ......... dinsenfranchised and dangerously lacking in culture.

At least that's one element. The other element are welsh(ish) speaking , rugby (sport) fans who are attracted by the "product". I have friends who belong to this category too.

It's a weird mix.

They ‘became’ unionists years ago, after some bad experiences with Cardiff fans at Wales games. The jacks that go to Wales games now don’t like the unionists nonsense, but unfortunately still have to keep their heads down, thanks to a few coward’s among their fanbase.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Not really, certainly not the ones that display those flags. Too scared too, so they chose another path
    Correct.

Quote Originally Posted by G rangetown Blue View Post
    They ‘became’ unionists years ago, after some bad experiences with Cardiff fans at Wales games. The jacks that go to Wales games now don’t like the unionists nonsense, but unfortunately still have to keep their heads down, thanks to a few coward’s among their fanbase.
    I would like to think that when it comes to Wales the Swansea v Cardiff rivalry is put to one side. If it happens the other Cardiff fans must stamp it out.