Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
My attitude is that I don't see us getting back to the Premier League under this ownership - that might be harsh given that we have done it twice before under Tan and I suppose if we were to get a strong Warnock type figure again who would win his share of battles with the Board then it may happen, but I think we're less likely to see another manager like that any time soon.

I admit I've become very negative over Bulut since the turn of the year (since he had his strop after the Plymouth defeat really), but where you say he "turned defensive", I think he has always been, very, defensive. We brought in a striker, an attacking midfielder and a more attack minded left back in January and I've not seen any change in approach from City apart from about twenty five minutes against Ipswich - it was such a disappointment to see the attitude in the derby game which followed, the players were probably more to blame in this case because some of them looked intimidated by the occasion, but it was the same old, same old boring tactics from Bulut as well.
Except Ange at Spurs aren't they all defensive?

Pep defensive starves you of the ball with 100's of lateral passes, it easier in FIFA mide of unlimited financial restrictions
Liverpool under Klopp relies on keeping it tight and world-class wide forwards
Arsenal has a great set-play game and world-class wide forwards
Villa are a dour system based team as they don't have the money of the others

I think Bulut is of this generation of coaches/managers, led by analytics without any fresh ideas, and lets be honest that's all we are going to get with this lot, as I doubt we are scouring the world looking for someone who is doing things a bit different.

IMO there are catergotiries of head coaches nowadays

1- Lower-level screamers and shouters "c'mon boys lets ****ing 'ave them" (old school)
2- recently Badged up all doing the same drills, sessions and tactics (Bulut)
3- Experienced and found a nuance to the new coaches so exploits their groupthink (Bielsa,Warnock)
4- World class leaders that everyone copies ans subsequently gets taught to the fresh group 2's (Mourihno, Klopp, Pep, Anchelotti)

We are likely to end up with another group 1', so I live in hope that Bulut can get from 2>3

He doesn't know what to do with Colwill