+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Paul Merson Right?

Is Paul Merson Right?

Re: Is Paul Merson Right?

Only has time to read the headline as I'm busy..but yes in my opinion he is correct.

Gambling addiction is an illness, they need support and education, not bans.

Same as drug addicts should get rehab and support and not jail.

No, he's wrong. Addiction or not, the rules state that players cannot bet on football outcomes. Don't make excuses for them - if these players want to gamble, there are plenty of other things to bet on.

Hhmmm it’s a tough one, should it be the same for say NML with his drug issues?

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    No, he's wrong. Addiction or not, the rules state that players cannot bet on football outcomes. Don't make excuses for them - if these players want to gamble, there are plenty of other things to bet on.
    Considering Ivan Toney wears a t-shirt with a betting logo on it, I think football might be at fault...

Gambling advertising is a disgrace, it has gone way, way too far and it is a disease. The bans are a joke, they'll certainly make some gamble more and football has a hell of a lot to answer for.

Have you ever suffered with addiction? Knowing how you should behave, and actually being able to behave and not give into your addiction are two entirely different things.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Considering Ivan Toney wears a t-shirt with a betting logo on it, I think football might be at fault...

Gambling advertising is a disgrace, it has gone way, way too far and it is a disease. The bans are a joke, they'll certainly make some gamble more and football has a hell of a lot to answer for.

Was it 777 that we had on our shirts for one game, until it was belatedly realised that they didn't have a licence to operate in the EU. That was before we changed to red, so well over a decade ago.

But I'm sure the FA are working hard on the problem...

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Was it 777 that we had on our shirts for one game, until it was belatedly realised that they didn't have a licence to operate in the EU. That was before we changed to red, so well over a decade ago.

Or was it 888? The Chinese are generally octophiles.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...-shirt-2081938

777.jpeg

https://www.gamingintelligence.com/u...h-sbobet-deal/

Quote Originally Posted by Dembe View Post
    Have you ever suffered with addiction? Knowing how you should behave, and actually being able to behave and not give into your addiction are two entirely different things.
    Like I said, they don't have to gamble on football.

It should be treated as a disease because it obviously is one. And it's also obvious that these people need help not punishment. Has Ivan Toney's 10 month ban cured him of his addiction? I doubt it. Gambling advertising, shouldn't be allowed on shirts, in stadiums or on TV. It's ridiculous.

I once worked with a bloke who gambled on his phone all day. He gambled on sports he had no idea about. He even gambled on cricket. I can't remember who he bet on, but he thought his team was going to win because they had over 100 points and the other team didn't have any. I tried to explain cricket to him, but I might as well have been speaking to him in Welsh.

Like I said, they don't have to gamble on football.
    You have no idea, and you are ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    It should be treated as a disease because it obviously is one. And it's also obvious that these people need help not punishment. Has Ivan Toney's 10 month ban cured him of his addiction? I doubt it. Gambling advertising, shouldn't be allowed on shirts, in stadiums or on TV. It's ridiculous.

I once worked with a bloke who gambled on his phone all day. He gambled on sports he had no idea about. He even gambled on cricket. I can't remember who he bet on, but he thought his team was going to win because they had over 100 points and the other team didn't have any. I tried to explain cricket to him, but I might as well have been speaking to him in Welsh.
    You can bet on things like college football/basketball etc who the **** in the UK is really going to have a clue what they're betting on?
    Womens basketball league in the UK etc. People just see odds and are desperate to win. People need help, sadly there are too many ignorant idiots with opinions that think they are better than others, and its just as easy as "not betting on football"
    With ignorance like that around, theres a long long way to go to getting these issues fixed sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post

A very good friend of mine will gamble every last penny away without fail every month. He'll message me if Surrey will win etc and he doesn't know anything about cricket. He messages my friends about snooker etc. Interesting studies have been done on it, the winning doesn't really matter, it just allows you to place another bet which is the far bigger rush. The excitement comes from thinking you might win and it completely rewires your brain. It is a really sad illness and completely changes your personality. The bookies are evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    A very good friend of mine will gamble every last penny away without fail every month. He'll message me if Surrey will win etc and he doesn't know anything about cricket. He messages my friends about snooker etc. Interesting studies have been done on it, the winning doesn't really matter, it just allows you to place another bet which is the far bigger rush. The excitement comes from thinking you might win and it completely rewires your brain. It is a really sad illness and completely changes your personality. The bookies are evil.
    I know plenty of people who will gamble away their weeks wages by the Friday evening. Other mates you'd be in a round with 5 of you and 4 of them would be in the bookies and you'd manage 3 "in between" pints by the time they came back to their warm pints.. go round a mates for a few drinks and 2 of them are sat there playing bingo stood around the one phone...roulette machines in the bookies were another one, lads putting their wages in a bandit and not having enough money to buy a pint..middle aged men putting £500 on a horse and leaving the pub to go home as it inevitably doesnt win...gambling is a disease.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Or was it 888? The Chinese are generally octophiles.
    It's been more like 666 since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    It's been more like 666 since then.
    Welcome back.

(PS The Gunman might need some stats support!)

Wealthy actors, sportsmen etc promoting gambling every ad break, everyone’s a winner. They never show a desperate soul alone in their bedroom clutching pills or a rope because everyone isn’t a winner. It’s a scourge on society.

I think that's the key point.

I am anti gambling, particularly online gambling and I think it's reprehensible that football is so indebted to those companies. I also respect that some are addicted to gambling and need help.

But the issue I think is that they are involved in the sport and when gambling on that sport enters the arena it could lead to damage to sporting integrity.

He has a point , but isn't there enough pull on the NHS and the public purse .

Spobet too.

At least it's not "Wales Online". Now that would be a fckin disgrace.

Did they ever sell any of those 777 shirts, I remember they sold sponsor less shirts that year.

I jumped in quick and got one between "777" and "Sbobet" - so no logo at all, and it's much better (no pun intended) for it.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    I jumped in quick and got one between "777" and "Sbobet" - so no logo at all, and it's much better (no pun intended) for it.
    Yeah I bought a blank one.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I think that's the key point.

I am anti gambling, particularly online gambling and I think it's reprehensible that football is so indebted to those companies. I also respect that some are addicted to gambling and need help.

But the issue I think is that they are involved in the sport and when gambling on that sport enters the arena it could lead to damage to sporting integrity.
    Football probably shouldn’t have got so involved with gambling in the first place, then.

Also, if they’re placing thousands of bets, they’re addicts. It isn’t their fault. Thirdly, who gives a **** about the bookies, cos they certainly couldn’t care less about Tonali and Toney. Vile, vile businesses.