Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
‘Surely you realise’…. ‘Surely you recognise’…. Surely I don’t!

There is nothing outdated in realising and recognising that the wealth, power and privilege of the UK establishment has nothing to do with the political left which exists to challenge those things. A few sociology departments does not offset the vast and growing concentration of establishment power that exists to maintain that wealth, power and privilege. In my experience it is only the apologists for that inequality and abuse that argue the analysis is now irrelevant.

If you insist on widening the view to take in the crimes of parasitic bureaucratic castes in states that claim to be inspired by Marx and Lenin then all I can say is those regimes are not of the political left. The ‘left’ were among the first victims of those autocratic regimes. But that is a massive deflection anyway from the Andy Beckett article that started this thread which was clearly directed at the history and current threats of political violence directed at the left in the UK - that you claimed no one believes.

The terms still have meaning and value. You seem to think they are no more than archaic flags in someone’s culture wars. Gluey seems to see the world through a lens of pro-WEF and anti-WEF - who is in the Swiss bunker and who isn’t. I disagree with you both.
It's pointless Jon. Just seeing his response to Bob suggests that. I didn't even get a response even though I quoted an example of what 'should' be a compelling argument. Conveniently swerved that one.