On Monday I went to A+E as I'd not been too well for a few days. It transpires that I've had a very mild heart attack and am waiting for an angiogram. I'm feeling ok, bit tired, but to be expected.

The staff in A+E have been nothing short of incredible. Ridiculous queues of people waiting to get in to see someone, 12 hour shifts, constant rushing around, they really do have a thankless task. I'm aware some have not had the same experiences, but mine (and many I know) have had great services.

It was an experience that shocked me, though. It's been 20 years since I was last in A+E and things were never as busy. People requiring treatment sleeping on chairs in corridors. Beds in corridors. Consultants discussing issues with patients as there were no cubicles available. Totally overrun. Some will say there's no amount of money that could sort this, but it is trying to provide as good a service for as little as possible on patient care. Maybe there are too many bosses.

However, I couldn't give a crap about politics over this. We have an institution to treasure. It needs sorting out.