+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rhys Ifans' magnificent rallying cry to Wales players

Re: Rhys Ifans' magnificent rallying cry to Wales players

I just think we need to be careful re.hypocrisy. I would argue that we’re a Welsh football club playing in the English football pyramid and receiving all the benefits of that. We’re not a Welsh team. We’re a Welsh club.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    I just think we need to be careful re.hypocrisy. I would argue that we’re a Welsh football club playing in the English football pyramid and receiving all the benefits of that. We’re not a Welsh team. We’re a Welsh club.
    Well I think the most fervent and vociferous anti English types are those that one week will cheer the defeat of the English rugby team then a few days later talk about Liverpool as if they were born half a mile from Anfield

Which is of course a district in a city in England that flooded a part of Wales for a reservoir

There's a quote from a Welsh football fan site .....as in fans of the national team .....and a poster asked what people thought of Welsh fans who supported English football teams when there were plenty of Welsh teams to follow ?

One of the moderators said ..... I think they are all complete wankers 😂

I laugh my head off whenever I remember that, it killed the debate stone dead

Of course we know that youngsters will support success and the big clubs so yes it's a bit ott but the arguement is a fair one

I mean if these grown adults just happened to end up supporting these clubs why is it always Liverpool or United etc and not Barnet or Rochdale ?

I could deal with that I 🤔

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I give a fkkk

Wrexham , Caernarfon, Bangor City etc

Certainly not an English football team as nationalists make such a fuss about their pride in being Welsh

So either embrace it properly and support the teams that represent your area , country etc

Or piss off with it all and flush the flag down the toilet

It's all fake otherwise
    Aren't you a Unionist? Can't he support anywhere in the union

I watched a small amount of it and had to stop.

Utter BS.

It’s not rousing, neither was Michael Sheen when he did his Yma O’Hyd stuff, then said that only Welsh actors should play Welsh parts after making a career playing characters who mainly weren’t Welsh.

It’s small time and it’s embarrassing.

The Welsh FA, IMO are going down a political road which I’m not keen on.

Just **** Off and leave football to the fans who have always been there (granted many North Wales, who may have a different view).

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    I watched a small amount of it and had to stop.

Utter BS.

It’s not rousing, neither was Michael Sheen when he did his Yma O’Hyd stuff, then said that only Welsh actors should play Welsh parts after making a career playing characters who mainly weren’t Welsh.

It’s small time and it’s embarrassing.

The Welsh FA, IMO are going down a political road which I’m not keen on.

Just **** Off and leave football to the fans who have always been there (granted many North Wales, who may have a different view).
    I agree Wash. We used to get all this kind of bollox with rugby. It's actually put me off international football tbh.

Well I think the most fervent and vociferous anti English types are those that one week will cheer the defeat of the English rugby team then a few days later talk about Liverpool as if they were born half a mile from Anfield

Which is of course a district in a city in England that flooded a part of Wales for a reservoir

There's a quote from a Welsh football fan site .....as in fans of the national team .....and a poster asked what people thought of Welsh fans who supported English football teams when there were plenty of Welsh teams to follow ?

One of the moderators said ..... I think they are all complete wankers ��

I laugh my head off whenever I remember that, it killed the debate stone dead

Of course we know that youngsters will support success and the big clubs so yes it's a bit ott but the arguement is a fair one

I mean if these grown adults just happened to end up supporting these clubs why is it always Liverpool or United etc and not Barnet or Rochdale ?

I could deal with that I ��
    A couple of mates come from Barrow and Stockport respectively and they are massive fans of those clubs and still go to occasional matches even though they haven't lived there for years. But they also support their local teams and attend matches there too. Coventry and Leeds. We're all different. When I lived in London I used to go to Highbury regularly and loved watching Arsenal. Since moving back to Cardiff we've been ST holders for the last decade. Everyone's story is different.

I don't fall into the anti-English group. I don't hate other clubs or supporters.

The anti-English thing, to me, is stupid considering the league we're in and just how many English players we have in the side at any one time. There are a lot of English people in Cardiff who support City. Not surprising considering it's such a cosmopolitan city.

A couple of mates come from Barrow and Stockport respectively and they are massive fans of those clubs and still go to occasional matches even though they haven't lived there for years. But they also support their local teams and attend matches there too. Coventry and Leeds. We're all different. When I lived in London I used to go to Highbury regularly and loved watching Arsenal. Since moving back to Cardiff we've been ST holders for the last decade. Everyone's story is different.

I don't fall into the anti-English group. I don't hate other clubs or supporters.

The anti-English thing, to me, is stupid considering the league we're in and just how many English players we have in the side at any one time. There are a lot of English people in Cardiff who support City. Not surprising considering it's such a cosmopolitan city.
    The anti English / Welsh stuff is just puerile nonsense. I guess it's merely banter for the unimaginative.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    The anti English / Welsh stuff is just puerile nonsense. I guess it's merely banter for the unimaginative.

I give a fkkk

Wrexham , Caernarfon, Bangor City etc

Certainly not an English football team as nationalists make such a fuss about their pride in being Welsh

So either embrace it properly and support the teams that represent your area , country etc

Or piss off with it all and flush the flag down the toilet

It's all fake otherwise
    .... there are also a proportion of Cardiff City fans and Cardiffians who are completely out of touch with what happens in the rest of the country. They don't follow the national team and turn their antenas to pick up bbc bristol. They "hates welsh" and think the assembly is a waste of money.

That kind of attitude strikes me as odd too. Maybe , even more so ... as club football is more incidental in my eyes than following your national team.

With that being said, considering the history and demogrphic make of South East Wales , we are far more "welsh....anti-union" than swansea fans. It's all very confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    I don't disagree with the 'taffia' nonsense.

That said some of the stuff you spout is more parochial than anyone. It's just the irony.

For what's it's worth, Rhys Ifans or anyone including Michael Sheen needed to motivate footballers playing for their country in a massive game is ****ing questionable.

First people I would question are the ****ing players.

That's me.

Pity one of the players didn't say to him.

"Get your own glue..."
    I doubt that the players actually need motivating, but it gives the FAW something to post on social media for their cheerleaders to lap up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Aren't you a Unionist? Can't he support anywhere in the union
    Of course he can support who he likes , it's a free country

But if Welsh nationalists are going to bang the patriotic drum then I am free to rip the piss out of them if instead of supporting a Welsh sporting team........like Wrexham , Bangor , Cardiff or Swansea they latch onto the success of English ones

It makes a mockery of their own principles

You can understand 10 year old kids but grown adults it's pathetic

Gethin Jones , Welsh speaking Cardiff born tv presenter ......Everton fan ......get out of here

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    .... there are also a proportion of Cardiff City fans and Cardiffians who are completely out of touch with what happens in the rest of the country. They don't follow the national team and turn their antenas to pick up bbc bristol. They "hates welsh" and think the assembly is a waste of money.

That kind of attitude strikes me as odd too. Maybe , even more so ... as club football is more incidental in my eyes than following your national team.

With that being said, considering the history and demogrphic make of South East Wales , we are far more "welsh....anti-union" than swansea fans. It's all very confusing.
    Apparently Cardiff has more first language Welsh speakers than Swansea which surprised me ?

Apparently Cardiff has more first language Welsh speakers than Swansea which surprised me ?
    There are a lot working at the BBC, Senedd and museum (inc St Fagans).

There are a lot working at the BBC, Senedd and museum (inc St Fagans).
    Yes relocating here for work

Yes relocating here for work
    👍I missed out a whole load of civil service jobs and corporate HQ positions too. Massive influx of Welsh speakers now in Cardiff.