+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Pre-trial hearing in Nantes today

Pre-trial hearing in Nantes today

According to l'Equipe.

It also says we've revised our claim for E100m by a third.

"A hearing is scheduled for this Thursday at the Nantes commercial court in the Sala case. Cardiff concocts an analytical report linked to its “loss of luck”, after the accidental death of the player.

Ten months after the start of civil proceedings by Cardiff City against FC Nantes, in the sad Sala affair, a new hearing - "pre-trial" - is scheduled for this Thursday (at 2 p.m.), before the Commercial Court from Nantes. The Welsh club took legal action in the commercial jurisdiction for “loss of income” and “damage” suffered after the accidental disappearance (at the age of 28) of the Argentine striker, who was never able to play for the Bluebirds. After estimating these “damages suffered” at more than 100 million euros, Cardiff revised its claims downward, by around a third less than this sum.

Emiliano Sala died on January 21, 2019 in the crash of a private plane off the island of Guernsey. The player joined his new club two days after the transfer agreement, worth €17 million, between the FCN and its British counterpart, who was then playing in the Premier League. And this is a key point of this file. Because at the end of this disastrous exercise, Cardiff was relegated to the Championship (where it still plays, currently ranked in 11th place) . The Welsh club therefore constructed a report, in the finalization phase, complete with statistics and “ expected goals” or “ expected points ”, aiming to demonstrate that it could have remained in the Premier League for one more season without the premature loss of its Argentinian “asset”.

To do this, the CCFC has enlisted, according to our information, the services of the British company Analytics FC, which specializes in particular in “data science” . On the French side, the Welsh club has also commissioned a legal and financial expert experienced in the high national courts, Maurice Nussenbaum. “We have extremely solid elements to support our position, with reports from eminent professionals who quantify the “loss of opportunity” suffered ,” explains Mr. Olivier Loizon, who is assisting Cardiff City in this civil case.

The Welsh club's other angle of attack concerns the responsibility of the sulphurous Scottish intermediary Willie McKay , the organizer of the fatal theft in Sala. Previously contacted, the lawyers of the Nantes club, Messrs Jérôme Marsaudon and Louis-Marie Absil, of the RMT law firm, believe that “Cardiff continues to attack the FCN unfairly and to unnecessarily mobilize the French justice system after having lost before FIFA and the Court of Arbitration for Sport."

https://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Actu...ibunal/1455884

Re: Pre-trial hearing in Nantes today

l'Equipe also say there's a hearing over here on April 10th about the order for Willie McKay to provide the info the club is after.

https://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Actu...-mckay/1453013

Update:

Cardiff gets delay in Sala case

The hearing before the commercial court did not last five minutes. Just enough time for a slight increase in tone between the lawyers of FC Nantes and those of Cardiff City around the excessive delays that both would require to provide the documents for a file, where the Welsh club would have to claim several dozen million to the Breton club for the “loss of luck” represented by the death of Emiliano Sala, who never wore the BluesBirds jersey, who went missing in the Channel Sea on January 21, 2019, barely a few hours later his transfer at 17 million euros.

Because in addition to having been a man, Sala was "an asset" , which, if we are to believe the Cardiff defense, would have allowed the club to remain in the Premier League and not to slide down to the Championship, the top floor sporty from below.

An expert, Maurice Nussenbaum from the company Analytics FC, considers himself capable of quantifying the damage, with multiple criteria, which range from “expected goals” to “adaptation time” in a new team. Céline Jones, advisor to the Welsh club, asked for more time to optimize the study.

Maître Louis-Marie Absil, for the people of Nantes, was surprised, stressing that the case “has lasted for five years and the summons (Editor's note: on this fact) for a year. » The judge opted for a filing of the full analysis of Analytics FC on April 22, during a new hearing which could be even more express. A new deadline will then be determined, estimated at four or five months, for the lawyers of FC Nantes to provide their observations, before a possible setting of a hearing date to finally get to the merits of the case, possibly at the end of 2024, probably at the beginning of 2025 .

Cardiff City planned to claim around 100 million in “damage” and “loss of income” from FC Nantes. A figure not yet precise: “It could be more ,” says Céline Jones, “it could be less. »

https://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Actu...e-sala/1455996

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    Update:

Cardiff gets delay in Sala case

The hearing before the commercial court did not last five minutes. Just enough time for a slight increase in tone between the lawyers of FC Nantes and those of Cardiff City around the excessive delays that both would require to provide the documents for a file, where the Welsh club would have to claim several dozen million to the Breton club for the “loss of luck” represented by the death of Emiliano Sala, who never wore the BluesBirds jersey, who went missing in the Channel Sea on January 21, 2019, barely a few hours later his transfer at 17 million euros.

Because in addition to having been a man, Sala was "an asset" , which, if we are to believe the Cardiff defense, would have allowed the club to remain in the Premier League and not to slide down to the Championship, the top floor sporty from below.

An expert, Maurice Nussenbaum from the company Analytics FC, considers himself capable of quantifying the damage, with multiple criteria, which range from “expected goals” to “adaptation time” in a new team. Céline Jones, advisor to the Welsh club, asked for more time to optimize the study.

Maître Louis-Marie Absil, for the people of Nantes, was surprised, stressing that the case “has lasted for five years and the summons (Editor's note: on this fact) for a year. » The judge opted for a filing of the full analysis of Analytics FC on April 22, during a new hearing which could be even more express. A new deadline will then be determined, estimated at four or five months, for the lawyers of FC Nantes to provide their observations, before a possible setting of a hearing date to finally get to the merits of the case, possibly at the end of 2024, probably at the beginning of 2025 .

Cardiff City planned to claim around 100 million in “damage” and “loss of income” from FC Nantes. A figure not yet precise: “It could be more ,” says Céline Jones, “it could be less. »

https://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Actu...e-sala/1455996
    Just a personal view, but, from what I read and saw about Emiliano Sala I don’t think he would have scored the goals to keep us up and I wonder how much importance the judge would place on the findings of Analytics FC? Although Sala was in the form of his life when he signed for us, he was very much a hunch of Neil Warnock’s who has a thing about “ugly duckling” footballers - he’d probably admit himself that his record when it comes to signing centre forwards isn’t great.

When all’s said and done though it’s incredible and so tragic that our record signing did not kick a ball for the club and it se3ms to me that all we were guilty of was carelessness with the paperwork for the transfer and a degree of counting our chickens in announcing he was our player.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Just a personal view, but, from what I read and saw about Emiliano Sala I don’t think he would have scored the goals to keep us up and I wonder how much importance the judge would place on the findings of Analytics FC? Although Sala was in the form of his life when he signed for us, he was very much a hunch of Neil Warnock’s who has a thing about “ugly duckling” footballers - he’d probably admit himself that his record when it comes to signing centre forwards isn’t great.

When all’s said and done though it’s incredible and so tragic that our record signing did not kick a ball for the club and it se3ms to me that all we were guilty of was carelessness with the paperwork for the transfer and a degree of counting our chickens in announcing he was our player.
    At the end of the season Bighton had 36 pts and City had 34 pts. As you say, Bob, no-one would ever know but the facts are that had Sala scored just two goals (from Jan 2019) turning a one goal defeat into a one goal victory he would have kept us up.

StT.
    <><

Will be interesting to see how the argument is received.

With all due respect Bob, personal opinions aren't what matter here. We have all speculated one way or another over the five years, but reading the piece they have granted the team more time to get the full analysis so they obviously think it matters and will aid our case.

I assume the extracts were done with auto translate from the French?

One or two funny expressions slipped through, but also this brilliant gem:

'The Welsh club's other angle of attack concerns the responsibility of the sulphurous Scottish intermediary Willie McKay'

Quote Originally Posted by Dembe View Post
    With all due respect Bob, personal opinions aren't what matter here. We have all speculated one way or another over the five years, but reading the piece they have granted the team more time to get the full analysis so they obviously think it matters and will aid our case.
    So, are you saying I can’t give a personal opinion? The judge would have to give time for the analysis to be completed - he’d be giving City clear grounds for an appeal if he didn’t and then found against them.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I assume the extracts were done with auto translate from the French?

One or two funny expressions slipped through, but also this brilliant gem:

'The Welsh club's other angle of attack concerns the responsibility of the sulphurous Scottish intermediary Willie McKay'
    Yes it was. I liked that one too! Also "Cardiff concocts an analytical report".

So, are you saying I can’t give a personal opinion? The judge would have to give time for the analysis to be completed - he’d be giving City clear grounds for an appeal if he didn’t and then found against them.
    No, I am saying they aren't relevant.

People get so touchy on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    Yes it was. I liked that one too! Also "Cardiff concocts an analytical report".
    I had that one copy and pasted to point out and got distracted replying to bob!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Tea View Post
    At the end of the season Bighton had 36 pts and City had 34 pts. As you say, Bob, no-one would ever know but the facts are that had Sala scored just two goals (from Jan 2019) turning a one goal defeat into a one goal victory he would have kept us up.
    The only fact regarding what Sala may or may not have done in 2019 is that nobody knows what would have happened.

He might have been great. He might have been crap. He might have scored ten goals. He might have scored none. He might have played every game. He might have got injured five minutes into his debut and missed the rest of the season.

Sadly, Sala never kicked a ball in the Premier League, let alone scored a goal. It’s impossible to know how effective or otherwise he would have been at that level.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    The only fact regarding what Sala may or may not have done in 2019 is that nobody knows what would have happened.

He might have been great. He might have been crap. He might have scored ten goals. He might have scored none. He might have played every game. He might have got injured five minutes into his debut and missed the rest of the season.

Sadly, Sala never kicked a ball in the Premier League, let alone scored a goal. It’s impossible to know how effective or otherwise he would have been at that level.

Hi TLG,

I was replying to Bob’s post where he stated: “I don’t think he would have scored the goals to keep us up.” I disagreed with his post by writing: “no-one would ever know.” You also confirmed my view was yours when you penned: “nobody knows what would have happened.”

My only further point was stating that a mere two extra goals could have kept us up. I didn’t say that he would have scored those goals.

StT.
    <><

No, I am saying they aren't relevant.

People get so touchy on here.
    I was going to write an argumentative reply, but Wales have just gone 3-1 up so I won’t.

I was going to write an argumentative reply, but Wales have just gone 3-1 up so I won’t.
    You'd be wasting your time as I wasn't looking for one.

I can't help how you interpret what I say, only you can control that.

You'd be wasting your time as I wasn't looking for one.

I can't help how you interpret what I say, only you can control that.
    Bit of a sense of humour failure there.

I genuinely wasn't looking for an argument, whereas you're just being a bit of a smartarse here

From what I seen he just seemed like the player we needed, he had all the attributes our style needed. We did probably paid premium and it was a risk but that’s football, if it was a cheap easy transfer everyone would have took a gamble. I was excited at the time. But in the end we just don’t know how he would have performed.

I suppose it’s like the malky would have kept us up debate, no one will ever know.

Just all so sad how it ended.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post

Very true so it all comes down to the burdon of proof and what level the court required e.g. beoyond reasonable doubt or balance of probability.

If it's the latter I would think the stats compiled could be enough. If not, as you say, there's always those elements of doublt about performance, injury etc

I genuinely wasn't looking for an argument, whereas you're just being a bit of a smartarse here
    You’ve just called someone a smart arse. I thought you were vehemently against calling posters such names.

I must’ve missed the joke 🙂, but Dembe is right about interpretation

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post
    You’ve just called someone a smart arse. I thought you were vehemently against calling posters such names.

Present your evidence for consideration

I would also be interested to know why you think obvious light hearted fun with smileys included constitutes name calling or abuse

And lastly, fits Friday and you're on the Costa Adeje why are you posting on here