+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: England's new kit

England's new kit

Cross of St George multi-coloured on the England shirt
    People apoplectic on 5-Live.

It was bad enough changing the dragon on the CCFC logo but imagine the FAW altering our national one.

Re: England's new kit

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Cross of St George multi-coloured on the England shirt
    People apoplectic on 5-Live.

It was bad enough changing the dragon on the CCFC logo but imagine the FAW altering our national one.
    Meh it's just the back of the collar.

Apparently similar colours to their 66 training kit which looking at photos was decent. But it's probably just more virtue signalling as coincidentally it looks a bit like the lgbtqiass++ colours.

The fa were obviously happy with it, I'm not sure it needs the leader of the opposition getting involved.

At 125 quid a pop people should just tell Nike to get ****ed anyway.

No need for a flag on it anyway. I'm sure putting one on shirts is a fairly recent thing. As long as the badge remains the same, it's a tiny little flag on the back of the collar, get over it.
    The cost of it mind...

It's not hard to see why people are pissed off is it? It's not for an American sportswear company to "playfully update" a national flag, not without some backlash anyway, or without a lot of consultation.

Symbols like flags, colours, badges, they do matter, especially when it's a national and historic symbol that represents more than just a football team.

Nike should just apologise and reissue. And stop dining out on how inclusive they are when they charge kids £70 for a shirt, whilst they are at it!

I think people are rightly pissed off with it. If you're having a national flag on a shirt, have the national flag on the shirt and not some representation of it.
    Still don't understand though why England still have so much blue on their kit.

It's on the back of the collar, hardly like they've changed the 3 lions. It's not like the cross is a regular part of their shirts either.

Their fans routinely turn up to game with the England flag altered to fit their club's colours and with some crap written all over it. Is that "respecting the flag"?

If they'd gotten rid of the 3 lions and put this as the crest then maybe they'd have a point, but people need to get over themselves. Feels like the kind of thing that wouldn't have been an issue 10 years ago. In fact didn't their 2010 shirt have multi coloured crosses all over it?

Load of fuss about nothing, they've played around with designs loads of times before. Some people seem to get offended by anything, bloody snowflakes

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I think people are rightly pissed off with it. If you're having a national flag on a shirt, have the national flag on the shirt and not some representation of it.
    Still don't understand though why England still have so much blue on their kit.
    Remember the 70s/80s "England" kits with red,white and blue?

Like they thought the whole of the UK was actually England,. Celtic nations didn't count.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post

Like they thought the whole of the UK was actually England,. Celtic nations didn't count.
    You mean like the union flag grrrr

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    You mean like the union flag grrrr
    Yeah, that's the one

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post

Bit of an extreme take, no? England have always worn blue shorts (I'm not sure why?) and the flag is red and white so it's hardly indicative of Celtic nations not counting. We've routinely had yellow on our kit, Germany's doesn't match their flag, nor does the Dutch or Italian. I'm not sure I'd look quite so deeply into it

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Bit of an extreme take, no? England have always worn blue shorts (I'm not sure why?) and the flag is red and white so it's hardly indicative of Celtic nations not counting. We've routinely had yellow on our kit, Germany's doesn't match their flag, nor does the Dutch or Italian. I'm not sure I'd look quite so deeply into it
    I have always thought that the blue for England's shorts came from the Union Jack and of course the blue part of the Union Jack is from the Scottish flag.

Italy chose blue shirts because blue is the colour of the House of Savoy - the Italian royal family. The nickname for the Italians is the Azzurri or the Blues.

The Dutch play in orange because the Dutch royal family is the House of Orange.

Germany play in white and black because it was the colours of the Prussian flag.

Ridiculous amount of backlash. I bet no one even noticed or gave a feck until some grumpy half wit posted something on twitter, the media picked up on it and then blew it out of proportion as usual.
    Cue politicians and ex players on the radio crying like babies.

Nothing wrong with the badge and a good idea for promoting minority groups.

What’s more important is that England's shirts were made by factory workers in Thailand who were paid just £1 an hour. Not a peep about that though.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Nothing wrong with the badge and a good idea for promoting minority groups.

What’s more important is that England's shirts were made by factory workers in Thailand who were paid just £1 an hour. Not a peep about that though.
    Some of the best clothes i've bought were from Thailand...Don't shrink, don't lose their colour , don't lose their print. And perfect as the badge gives an LGBT etc vibe. Very appropriate i think. Doubt they were paid 1 quid an hour tho

It's not hard to see why people are pissed off is it? It's not for an American sportswear company to "playfully update" a national flag, not without some backlash anyway, or without a lot of consultation.

Symbols like flags, colours, badges, they do matter, especially when it's a national and historic symbol that represents more than just a football team.

Nike should just apologise and reissue. And stop dining out on how inclusive they are when they charge kids £70 for a shirt, whilst they are at it!
    It's been done before by Peter Savile, it was a more open time, people were less prone to hissy fitting.

I blame the woke cuunts who scream and cry about everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    It's been done before by Peter Savile, it was a more open time, people were less prone to hissy fitting.

It's strange. I feel like the people who scream and cry the most are the ones that complain about everything being "woke". Not liking your national flag being changed on your national team's shirts has absolutely **** all to do with being woke.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    It's strange. I feel like the people who scream and cry the most are the ones that complain about everything being "woke". Not liking your national flag being changed on your national team's shirts has absolutely **** all to do with being woke.
    Good observation.

*cough cough*

Is it Nike who have made the decision on the England kit design, or is it the brief of the client, being the FA i presume? I can't see Nike having the power to decide what shirt style England play in, because that's the way you're wording it Jim. Sure, they may have knocked up a few sample for the FA to look at, but there's no way that Nike would have the final say on things so i don't see why you're blaming them, unless you know otherwise.

Hey listen if we can all go back to 2011 and the things that offended us all then before the wokesters took over then I would be a very happy man and we would all be much happier!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Is it Nike who have made the decision on the England kit design, or is it the brief of the client, being the FA i presume? I can't see Nike having the power to decide what shirt style England play in, because that's the way you're wording it Jim. Sure, they may have knocked up a few sample for the FA to look at, but there's no way that Nike would have the final say on things so i don't see why you're blaming them, unless you know otherwise.
    I don't think Nike or the FA are remotely in touch with the average English football fan tbh

Given the furore I was expecting a bold and brash, rainbow coloured cross. Surprised having just bothered to actually take a look, I don’t think I would have batted an eyelid had the story not preceded it.

It’s pretty tame, even subdued colours-wise and didn’t scream anything in particular to me to be honest. You would have had to explain to me what it represented, if I’d even thought to ask.

I don't think Nike or the FA are remotely in touch with the average English football fan tbh
    I'm no fan of Nike nor the English FA but after witnessing a sizeable majority of England fans singing 'Ten German bombers' and 'No surrender to the IRA' for the last 30 years I can't help thinking that's a good thing?

Good observation.

*cough cough*
    You know what's woke? Knowing your rights.