+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Anyone at this game from fifty one years ago?

Anyone at this game from fifty one years ago?

Almost fifty one years to the day.

I was, stood on the Bob Bank I think - is there another video of Trevor Hockey scoring a goal online I wonder? One of Wales' best wins of the seventies.

Re: Anyone at this game from fifty one years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

I was, stood on the Bob Bank I think - is there another video of Trevor Hockey scoring a goal online I wonder? One of Wales' best wins of the seventies.

Hopefully full screen now

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Hopefully full screen now
    Attendance- 12,753 , will be nearly three times that in the stadium tomorrow

I was there, a really good Welsh performance. And a pretty good atmosphere Am I right in remembering that Leighton James had a fine game.

I remember the saying at the time was "What's short dark and hairy and runs around a football pitch growling? Trevor Hockey!"

Remember it well. Wales weren’t too clever those days. The World Cup qualifying group was only 3 teams so fat chance we had to qualify. Still, went to Wembley to watch us draw 1-1 with England, a result which played a big part in them failing to make the finals in West Germany in 74.

Yes, I’m not sure it might have been my first international at NP

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Attendance- 12,753 , will be nearly three times that in the stadium tomorrow
    Surprised it was as much as that, I had 8,000 in mind for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
    I was there, a really good Welsh performance. And a pretty good atmosphere Am I right in remembering that Leighton James had a fine game.
    Yes, that’s how I remember it - he may well have still been a teenager at the time.

Crowd invasions after every goal in those days. Fabulous

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    Crowd invasions after every goal in those days. Fabulous

Wow. I didn't know until today that we were in that group. The 1974 WC is the first one I can remember. The only qualifying game I remember is England 1-1 Poland. We had family from England staying with us so we watched it.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Wow. I didn't know until today that we were in that group. The 1974 WC is the first one I can remember. The only qualifying game I remember is England 1-1 Poland. We had family from England staying with us so we watched it.
    Poland got revenge in the return game a few months later where they comfortably beat us 3-0 and Trevor Hockey was sent off - there’s a video from the same source on You Tube and the thing that took my attention was that we played in green and white. Poland qualified on the back of their home results because they also beat England 2-0 (Alan Ball was sent off if memory serves right) in a game which ended Bobby Moore’s international career I believe.