+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: FT: WALES 0-0 POLAND. AET. Poland win on penalties.

Re: FT: WALES 0-0 POLAND. AET. Poland win on penalties.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    I don't know, Moore really caused them trouble all game
    He may have "caused them trouble" but sadly failed to score. Isn't that what a striker is supposed to do? Reminded me so much of his City days, falling over at the slightest touch and appealing to the ref which undoubtedly does not pay in the long run. Even when there is a genuine foul the ref has become immunised and waves play on.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Ward really isn’t a decent keeper but your point on Hennessy is a good one

Moving Dan James to cover for Roberts felt like a waste. I’d have gone 4 at the back and left him to trouble them at the other end.

Flat as a pancake… trying to console myself with the fact we’d probably have 3 defeats at the Euro’s
    100% AGREE

It was a decent effort, but if you can't score at home in a playoff final, you don't really deserve to go through. I was actually surprised we managed to score 4 penalties. You could see as soon as the final whistle went, that Poland were relaxed and thought they had it in the bag.

The Polish defence lacked pace. Moore did OK but I would have preferred Dan James starting given Brooks wasn't well.
    In the end James was wasted at fullback and Johnson was subbed. So much of our pace wasn't utilised in the latter part of the game and it showed as we became less threatening the longer the game went on.
    A very frustrating night.

The cruellest way to lose?

Poland edge through on penalties as Wales pay for costly qualifying defeat.

https://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
    Ward is a decent keeper.

But Ward had faced 138 penalties in his life and saved none. He is 6 ft 3.

Hennessy is 6 ft 6.

Page should have made a proper call. Knowing Poland’s keeper was good on penalties he could not expect to compete with a keeper with a 0% historic chance of saving, when it was a higher probability that Hennessy could save 1, or even or 2, with his huge reach.

Page made a bad call and it was his call to make.
    Danny Ward has only played about 170 games of professional football so unless he's faced a penalty in practically every game you're making things up. He's faced 29 penalties and saved 4 and he also won Huddersfield promotion through a penalty shoot out

Hennessey was terrible at getting down low even in his prime, nevermind now. He also has a worse record than Ward.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    The Polish defence lacked pace. Moore did OK but I would have preferred Dan James starting given Brooks wasn't well.
    In the end James was wasted at fullback and Johnson was subbed. So much of our pace wasn't utilised in the latter part of the game and it showed as we became less threatening the longer the game went on.
    A very frustrating night.
    Exactly. Played into their hands keeping Moore on when they were clearly terrified of pace

Page was clearly playing for penalties from about the 80th minute. Harry Wilson was absolutely exhausted, he could barely move. Same for Moore

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    I’m no football manager (other than 17 years in boys football lol) but in the break after FT and before AET starting I listed my 5 penalty takers as did my 2 sons and James wasn’t in any of our 5.

Very frustrating.
    Managers can create all the lists they want, but when the time comes, it's about those who want to take them. We'll never know if anyone decided against taking a penalty; there's not a manager out there who would not 100% back that player and their decision.

I did feel that Poland had been practicing penalties and that we maybe hadn't. Whether it makes any difference, who knows?

In any case, anyone can miss a penalty. Even Kenny Miller.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Danny Ward has only played about 170 games of professional football so unless he's faced a penalty in practically every game you're making things up. He's faced 29 penalties and saved 4 and he also won Huddersfield promotion through a penalty shoot out

Hennessey was terrible at getting down low even in his prime, nevermind now. He also has a worse record than Ward.
    Aye, but he has a few more inches. Given the way Poland took their penalties, he'd have needed more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    I don't know, Moore really caused them trouble all game
    Moore caused them problems in the air, the Poles often didn't even bother to challenge him. Our pacy forwards also caused them problems when the ball was on the deck but Page's substitutions made us worse and less effective with each change he made. It's not the first time he's been unable to affect a game from the sidelines to take advantage of opponent's weaknesses.

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    Moore caused them problems in the air, the Poles often didn't even bother to challenge him. Our pacy forwards also caused them problems when the ball was on the deck but Page's substitutions made us worse and less effective with each change he made. It's not the first time he's been unable to affect a game from the sidelines to take advantage of opponent's weaknesses.
    Completely agree, he seems too scared/lacking confidence to make big changes mid-match

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post

I did feel that Poland had been practicing penalties and that we maybe hadn't. Whether it makes any difference, who knows?

we must have practised, it would be crazy not to, even at my girls team session before a cup game ( or a tournament ) they take a few each

I didn’t fancy James to score his pen. But at least he stepped up.

Not called for.
    Was being tongue-in-cheek, Eric. Its how I cope with being gutted.

Felt very sorry for the lad but could see it in his face. Good on him for taking it on, though.

Managers can create all the lists they want, but when the time comes, it's about those who want to take them. We'll never know if anyone decided against taking a penalty; there's not a manager out there who would not 100% back that player and their decision.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    we must have practised, it would be crazy not to, even at my girls team session before a cup game ( or a tournament ) they take a few each
    In the last Feast Of Football podcast before the game one of the players (cant remember whether Davies, James or Roberts) said they had been practicing pelanties during the week.

But practicing in a training session - and how they practiced who knows - is no guarantee for a live game when the pressure is on, they are knackered, the crowd is loud and stressed, and the Poles are radiating confidence and experience.

If the answer to the question is Rob Page then you're asking the wrong question.

Why he changed to Moore after the hammering we gave Finland was bizarre. To then leave Moore on was just inept.

I’m embarrassed about my behavior after the game.
    I smashed up the room I was in and now find out that I wanted my Mate from Leeds to take me out looking for trouble.

What the actual ****?!?
    I’m 51 this year.

I think that I have to be done with caring about football.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    I smashed up the room I was in and now find out that I wanted my Mate from Leeds to take me out looking for trouble.

What the actual ****?!?
    I’m 51 this year.

Why did you want him to take you out? Give the Leeds f*cker a few digs in the house!!

Could be worse...

I called Dan James a 'Jack Bastard' and had a ticking off from Eric the Half a Bee.

What the actual ****?!?
    I’m 51 this year.

dont be too hard on yourself, you are just a wee spring chicken on here

What the actual ****?!?
    I’m 51 this year.

Give yourself a break. Rob Page's post match performance when interviewed was worse. Don't get me started on his match decisions.