+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: FT: WALES 0-0 POLAND. AET. Poland win on penalties.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: FT: WALES 0-0 POLAND. AET. Poland win on penalties.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    Should have gone for it from the start with pace and movement and not Moore - completely changes the focus of our attack.
    I actually thought Page got it right for once, and we were the better side for most of the game. Poland didn't manage a single shot on target, with one of the best striker in the world.
    I'm gutted but ultimately optimistic about this side going forward. The core of this team has huge experience together and loads of them are 23 and younger. The future is definitely bright.

Quote Originally Posted by CopenhagenBlue View Post
    I actually thought Page got it right for once, and we were the better side for most of the game. Poland didn't manage a single shot on target, with one of the best striker in the world.
    I'm gutted but ultimately optimistic about this side going forward. The core of this team has huge experience together and loads of them are 23 and younger. The future is definitely bright.
    Totaly agree

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    Totaly agree
    And me, people on here always looking for someone to blame. Sometimes nobody is at fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    And me, people on here always looking for someone to blame. Sometimes nobody is at fault.
    Shouldn’t questions be asked as to why we only used three subs in a game which lasted 120 minutes though?

I have a quibble about what Ramsey was doing there as well, but, that apart, I wouldn’t be too critical - that Armenia defeat was what really buggered our chances up not Dan James or what Page did or didn’t do tonight.

You can see why Keiffer Moore is the 1st on the teamsheet - everything when through/up to him, even when he was out on his legs. Feel for Brookes. I rate him more highly than many do, he offers a lot more than just pure pace, and totally mystified why he was subbed so quickly.As the game progressed, they looked stronger, us weaker, and the pens had an inevitability about them..

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CopenhagenBlue View Post
    Absolutely.

Why did Broadhead come on for Brooks if he wasnt going to take a pen. We had players out on their feet and he takes of a substitute.

Good effort but Pages subs absolutely bizarre, bring off your most versatile forward leaving Kieffer blowing fumes out there for extra time. Johnson wasn’t even the logical sub, Wilson was poor far before that.

Then whatever the deal with Brooks was, don’t think he ever used all his subs did he? After getting it so right against Finland got it equally wrong tonight.

I always feel so sorry for the player concerned when they are the only ones to miss in a penalty shoot out - in some ways, it would have been better if we’d have missed three out of the five.

I’m not calling for Page to be sacked because of tonight or anything, but it does seem odd that he only chose to use three subs in a game that lasted two hours and one of those was to replace another sub.

Ward is a decent keeper.

But Ward had faced 138 penalties in his life and saved none. He is 6 ft 3.

Hennessy is 6 ft 6.

Page should have made a proper call. Knowing Poland’s keeper was good on penalties he could not expect to compete with a keeper with a 0% historic chance of saving, when it was a higher probability that Hennessy could save 1, or even or 2, with his huge reach.

Page made a bad call and it was his call to make.

Shame but we need to up things in qualifying and not rely on these favourable draws. You have to be a pretty poor team not to qualify for the euros these days

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
    Ward is a decent keeper.

Hennessy is 6 ft 6.

Page should have made a proper call. Knowing Poland’s keeper was good on penalties he could not expect to compete with a keeper with a 0% historic chance of saving, when it was a higher probability that Hennessy could save 1, or even or 2, with his huge reach.

Is that a made up stat as it sounds unbelievable to me.

Pretty mental if he hasn't managed to save one ever, some penalties are absolutely terrible.

Ward is a decent keeper.

Hennessy is 6 ft 6.

This says different about Ward’s record with penalties.

https://www.transfermarkt.us/danny-w...spieler/203026

Don’t know how reliable that site is mind.

Ward is a decent keeper.

Hennessy is 6 ft 6.

saved one in the Prem

saved 2 Pen's V Shed Wed's in the semi ( here is the 2nd )

https://www.skysports.com/watch/vide...d-winning-save

then saved one in the final for Huddersfield V Reading

Ward is a decent keeper.

Hennessy is 6 ft 6.

Danny Ward has only played about 170 games of professional football so unless he's faced a penalty in practically every game you're making things up. He's faced 29 penalties and saved 4 and he also won Huddersfield promotion through a penalty shoot out

Hennessey was terrible at getting down low even in his prime, nevermind now. He also has a worse record than Ward.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Ward hasn’t got near them.
    To be fair he didnt have any chance of stopping them. All well taken. Unfortunately 1 of ours wasnt.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    To be fair he didnt have any chance of stopping them. All well taken. Unfortunately 1 of ours wasnt.
    And even then - it wasn’t that much of a bad pen, it had pace into the corner, just a bit too close to a keeper who dived right way

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I always feel so sorry for the player concerned when they are the only ones to miss in a penalty shoot out - in some ways, it would have been better if we’d have missed three out of the five.

I’m not calling for Page to be sacked because of tonight or anything, but it does seem odd that he only chose to use three subs in a game that lasted two hours and one of those was to replace another sub.
    It’s far from the first time Page has forgotten to use his subs in a key situation. Sorry, he’s done a passable job but not the manager to take us forward in my book. How you look at that last performance and decide to do the total opposite a few days later is totally beyond me.

So, it's the fault of Page. Nothing to do with the outfield players who created not very much for 2 hours? I'm not being critical of anyone. Decent enough performance from Wales. Both teams pretty ordinary. We didn't really trouble Poland, we were at home, it's our job to trouble them.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Bluebird View Post
    It’s far from the first time Page has forgotten to use his subs in a key situation. Sorry, he’s done a passable job but not the manager to take us forward in my book. How you look at that last performance and decide to do the total opposite a few days later is totally beyond me.

This.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Bluebird View Post
    I don't know, Moore really caused them trouble all game

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    I don't know, Moore really caused them trouble all game
    He may have "caused them trouble" but sadly failed to score. Isn't that what a striker is supposed to do? Reminded me so much of his City days, falling over at the slightest touch and appealing to the ref which undoubtedly does not pay in the long run. Even when there is a genuine foul the ref has become immunised and waves play on.

The frustration is that we defended really well tonight. The subs made no sense and we totally lost our shape.
    Brennan Johnson was our best player in the first half so why sub him? Dan James was really playing like a fullback so we didn't have any outlet

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    The frustration is that we defended really well tonight. The subs made no sense and we totally lost our shape.
    Brennan Johnson was our best player in the first half so why sub him? Dan James was really playing like a fullback so we didn't have any outlet
    Agree about Johnson, I’ve knocked him for his performances in a Wales shirt in the past, but I thought he had the beating of the Polish defenders in the first half especially.

I thought we were taking charge of the game in its middle third and was getting quite confident, but around the time Jordan James got booked, we seemed to get nervy and, without really taking charge, Poland looked quite comfortable from then on.

Ward is a decent keeper.

Hennessy is 6 ft 6.

At least if he’d done that not using all his subs when we were hanging the entire second half of extra time would have been a little more justifiable.